Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ae35unit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
I've got an early 2008 Mac Pro that I'd like to drive three 30" monitors with. I'm not concerned with gaming performance and want three full-resolution screens (no mirroring).

The monitors' interfaces: (1) DL-DVI and (2) DL-DVI / DisplayPort. The Mac Pro already has an AMD Radeon HD 6870 2GB installed and driving a single 30" monitor.

So my question - does anyone know of a way to get the old MP to drive these monitors or is it time for me to put the old box out to pasture after five good years of service?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Your Mac Pro is fine with three monitors. Any card with three working output ports will work, but I don't know if your PC 6870 card has three working outputs. I seem to remember these are a bit weird about the ports as stated here.

ae35unit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
I haven't seen any posts where someone has explicitly listed success with three full-resolution 2560x1600 30" monitors. Is there a list of multi-head video cards that are known to work in the Mac Pro 3,1 somewhere?

I've Googled this up & down and somehow have managed to miss the answer somehow if it's out there. I'd really like to find a known / confirmed solution before I start down the path of actually upgrading things.

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
Yes, you can drive 3x30 with the 2008. I did it for years, first with multiple 2600 cards and later with a single 5770 and two active dvi adapters. Performance will be fine for 2d work.

I even ran four 30" and two 20"s with a pair of 5770s for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.