Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Sep 3, 2014, 07:21 AM   #76
Sethp
macrumors newbie

Too bad I missed out on that great deal on Amazon, at that prize i could live with using a UK plug and a Euro-adapter but now i'm going to buy one in Sweden.

I used to buy external FW drives that I daisy chained but some of the older 1TB drives are starting to act up on me and getting new FireWire 800 drives today isn't worth the money. Since I have an imac 2011 with a thunderbolt port that lacks USB 3 i was thinking of getting this Hub and connect my remaining 4 firewire drives to the hub and my USB 3 drives and some USB 2 drives as well ending up with just a thunderbolt cable connected to my Mac that handles "all" self powered external storage regardless of interface.

I've read that the USB 3 ports are only half speed but since my own ports are USB 2 it should be a boost.

Only thing i'm a bit afraid of is if the drives mount as they should without one needing to disconnect the USB plug from the hub and reconnect it again after lets say a reboot.

The hard drives i'm using exclusively are WD My book FW800 and WD My book USB 3 and a pair of WD essentials usb 2 disks
Sethp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 04:24 AM   #77
Bezbozny
macrumors member

I have received the dock and I must say that I m very satisfied with this purchase. I have to say though that even though I bought it with a big discount this doesn't mean that I still don't consider it expensive for what you get. I don't have any benchmarks to show but I m very happy that I got rid of all those cables that were around my macbook on my desk. Now I only have the dock connected to my macbook pro and nothing else. I have connected to the dock my external firewire hard drive, my Blue Ray writer, card reader, USB 3 hub which I use for my external keyboard and mouse receivers and flash drives etc. Everything is neat and organised.
Bezbozny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals