Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Awesome!
So when someone decides to steal your iPhone, they must now use a cigar cutter to cut off your thumb too or the phone is not accessible.

Didn't people say that when pass codes were first introduced? :D

People said you'd now have a knife pointed at you if you didn't give the code.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
When this occurs, I exercise my 2nd Amemdment rights

Really? you'd be willing to kill someone for taking your phone? :confused:

Well that just characterises american society for you. Unless you were referring to the cutting your finger off part.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
It's a combination of fingerprint scanner on the home button + iOS 7 API that enables 3rd party apps to use iCloud fingerprint for authentication instead of forcing the user to enter login credentials. This is another game-changer, especially considering how many people are already in the iCloud. Now watch Samsung scramble to release a half-baked implementation of this which will have none of the ecosystem support.

Jvanleuvan

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2012
Lot of hate for the mechanical home button.

Anything mechanical is more likely to "break" than something non-mechanical (like capacitive touch)

But, I totally buy what apple is saying about the improved usability of the phone with the mechanical home button. My wife has a HTC One S, it has capacitive home/back buttons, at least once a night she'll be tapping a message on her phone only to yell out "CR@P!" because she accidentally touched the home button and lost her message or exited her game or what-not. It happens to me every time I use her phone (it's aggravated on that phone by the proximity of the capacitive home button to the onscreen keyboard)

IF apple could do a pressure sensitive capacitive home button with haptic feedback, that’d be great, as long as it could prevent the accidental touches that exit you out of your app!

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I'm impressed that Apple finally admitted the old fashioned push button is highly problematic.

You do understand what "rumor" means right? Hopefully you also know what implications there are when you place the term "sketchy" in front the aforementioned "rumor".

Conversely, the capacitive buttons I've had over the years on various Android phones have worked perfectly. They've been as reliable as the touchscreen on my iPhones. Not a single failure.

Ignoring accidental presses of course.

Another huge advantage is having the identical tactile feed back no matter what you're doing. Unaffected by debris, dust or moisture, they make perfect sense.

I guess no tactile feedback all the time qualifies as identical no matter what you're doing.

Once, or if, Apple finally adopts this modern technology the need to buy a new phone just because Apple's button failed, will no longer exist. How sweet!

The vast majority of people replacing iPhones are not doing it because of failed home buttons. This comment makes no sense.

PS: The most popular Android phones (Samsung Galaxy ___) have physical home buttons. Apple may go capacitive at some point, but it's not the slam dunk you think it is.

RVAgaffer

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Who are these gorilla hands that ruin their home buttons anyway?

I had the button on my original iphone fail after about a month, it was a material/manufacturer defect not abuse. One of the big problems is that once it starts to get a little off you start to push it harder and harder which probably makes it wear out a faster and faster.

Mechanical switches have a limited cycle life. The electronic switches that nasa has as a standard (the only common electronic device I can point to that has this is the provari electronic cigarette/personal vaporizer) have a much longer life span but a longer 'throw'. Touch sensitive 'buttons' have an almost infinite lifespan.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Who are these gorilla hands that ruin their home buttons anyway?

Grime falls under the button. It doesn't break. They supposedly fixed it on the iPhone 5, but my iPhone 4 has the problem. Isopropyl alcohol fixes it.

----------

Well that just characterises american society for you. Unless you were referring to the cutting your finger off part.

He's willing to kill someone who will kill him to take his phone. If someone was pointing a weapon at me, his safety would be my last concern.

----------

Just wondering something.

If the home button will now be touch sensitive then wouldn't people accidentally touch it a lot of times? Especially on landscape mode? I don't see that working.

I agree. I hate touch-sensitive buttons. They have those on the Android phones as well as every TV produced nowadays; I've tried them, and it's a pain.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly

I don't care what they're trying to take from me. If they're willing to pull a gun, knife, cigar cutter, etc. on me for my phone or any other of my personal possessions...... Well, use your imagination. It's called defending yourself

Lets stay on topic...

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Really don't buy this one at all. Sapphire? Aren't iOS devices expensive enough as it is?

Sapphire glass is a synthetic material used for its scratch resistance. It's not the same as the precious sapphire stones used in jewelry.

The iPhone 5 already uses this material to cover the rear camera lens. It won't be something that would change the phone's pricing.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Touch sensitive 'buttons' have an almost infinite lifespan.

They also don't provide tactile feedback though, at least until a good haptic touch technology is put into these devices.

It's bad enough typing on a touch screen (or God forbid, trying to play something like Street Fighter) but having no physical buttons on a smartphone or tablet annoys me.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I don't have a problem with a home button as such, I just don't like the current design. It's old, it's dated and it spoils the looks of the gorgeous iPhone 5 IMHO.

I wouldn't mind something like the home button on the S4 - wider, slimer and flush with the surface of the device. I would prefer a capacitive home button if they could do it right as like you I've had problems with them in the past.

I was just reading how Apple have a tap to select patent so that would seem a good option. A flush sapphire chrystal "button" that you tap rather than press but has the same affect. As long as it not big and round I would be happy with that.

Interesting, I see what you mean. I've tried my wife's S3 and I am not a fan of the home button on it. It's too flush for my taste.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Maybe here is a misunderstood.:rolleyes:

Years later, some home button concepts appear, the most commented was one with "gestures", basically a home button with a capacitive trackpad :D(as on blackberrys), very useful for gestures to go-back, next, cursor control, etc. Adding to such trackpad a fingerprint sensor not a big deal and has sense because enable to feel if the finger is alive and read it print. BOTH CONCEPT DON'T IMPLIES TO ABANDON THE CLICK ACTION (as many know Blackberries uses a capacitive trackpad with click action).

So Welcome the New Home Button (While it Keeps Clickable)....:eek:

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'm still using my 3GS and my home button is fine (and I don't treat it gently).

Guess by making the subsequent phones thinner they made them more delicate.

RVAgaffer

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
They also don't provide tactile feedback though, at least until a good haptic touch technology is put into these devices.

It's bad enough typing on a touch screen (or God forbid, trying to play something like Street Fighter) but having no physical buttons on a smartphone or tablet annoys me.

very true. but there are pros and cons to every system. with the electrical type switches you can get long lifespan and tactile feedback, but you have to sacrifice a long 'throw'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.