Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
My Butler must be really down in the dumps answering my Nexus for me, I didn't realise that all other Butlers would look down on him after I changed from my iPhone.

Last edited:

sampath

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
After switching from an iPhone to a Galaxy Nexus my income dropped 60% and IQ by 57 points. The damage would have been greater but for me still clinging to my "old new" iPad.

True story.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
What makes you think the OP is a troll?

Here's a WSJ article with interesting insights.

//Owners of other Apple devices had similar traits, with higher incomes than users of BlackBerrys or smartphones running on Google’s Android software, according to BIGinsight.

There’s evidence this higher income level translates into higher spending. Nearly half of retailers in a recent study by Forrester Research and Shop.org said users of tablets – who by a large majority are iPad owners – tend to place bigger online orders on average than users of laptops or desktops. Shoppers on Apple devices like iPhones also outspend shoppers using Android or Blackberry devices, according to IBM, which tracks data from retailers.

And while there are twice as many mobile gamers on Android devices in the U.S. as there are on iPhone and iPads, the amount spent by Apple gamers is five times higher than Android gamers, according to international gaming market research firm Newzoo.

In light of this, retailers have scrambled to roll out mobile apps geared toward iPhone and iPad users, often before rolling out their Android versions. And some are retooling their regular websites to make them work better with Apple devices, removing Flash video, which Apple’s mobile devices don’t support, and spacing out links for easier targeting with fingers.//

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/06...phic-is-so-important-to-orbitz-and-retailers/

Though I think it's BS to call this an "intellectual divide." It seems like a socioeconomic divide to me.

This post is even more idiotic than the OP's.

The fact that you spent any time at all searching for that nonsense is either disturbing, or telling.

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They are a lot closer now but Verizon used to be more expensive then AT&T before the iPhone was on Verizon. I stuck with Verizon because back then AT&T service was terrible in my area. I would have had an expensive paper weight.....

So I could have saved money and got an iPhone but had terrible service that was unusable at my house. Or pay a bit more for a device that actually works. Which would a more intelligent person do?

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Not that I believe in stereotyping people based on their choice of mobile phone, but relevant to the topic:

Hunch-infographic-droid-vs-ios-C5.jpg

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Were you in the top 122%?....lol!

LOL. I was about to point out the same quote. So, how is it more intelligent to prefer a device that doesn't do what you need it to, but 'looks' sleek? Johnny, do we have an acronym for this? Yes, Bob, we do. "Superficial".

Also of note, it appears that women are the dominate iphone buyers. And I was wondering why all these people were complaining that the Galaxy S3 was to big for their hands. Also, didn't realize this board was mostly made up of women. According to these stats, anyway. And since they were found on the internet, they must be true.

----------

I have a CET certificate , an A+ and network+ and scored in the top % in my states NOCTI....buys an iPhone every year for dependability and manufacture support.

Really? Do you think bringing up your academic record proves anything? Trust me, you aren't the smartest person on this board, much less this thread or even this page of the thread.

And you buy iphones for manufacturer support? Didn't realize you supported Foxxcon and the Chinese labor force. Well good for you. I don't think I could come out and say I was in support of slave labor, but to each their own. Also, you enjoying that dependable iPhone 5? No pixel issues, lagging, touch input misses, easily scratched and dented surface, and bendable frame? Or do you claim the iPhone is sexy, and then cover it up with a cheap plastic Otterbox?

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
LOL. I was about to point out the same quote. So, how is it more intelligent to prefer a device that doesn't do what you need it to, but 'looks' sleek? Johnny, do we have an acronym for this? Yes, Bob, we do. "Superficial".

Also of note, it appears that women are the dominate iphone buyers. And I was wondering why all these people were complaining that the Galaxy S3 was to big for their hands. Also, didn't realize this board was mostly made up of women. According to these stats, anyway. And since they were found on the internet, they must be true.

----------

Really? Do you think bringing up your academic record proves anything? Trust me, you aren't the smartest person on this board, much less this thread or even this page of the thread.

And you buy iphones for manufacturer support? Didn't realize you supported Foxxcon and the Chinese labor force. Well good for you. I don't think I could come out and say I was in support of slave labor, but to each their own. Also, you enjoying that dependable iPhone 5? No pixel issues, lagging, touch input misses, easily scratched and dented surface, and bendable frame? Or do you claim the iPhone is sexy, and then cover it up with a cheap plastic Otterbox?

I never said I was the smartest person on this boards, I've been reading all these posts saying that only uneducated end-users love the iPhone and that is just not true. I was saying that even a person with a tech educated background can still pick the iPhone and a person not the most savvy with tech can pick the iPhone, same goes with android. You didn't have to slash my throat for my comment.

Yes the SGIII has never had any screen issues, yes the GNEX never had any attena issues :rolleyes:.

You say slave labor, the vast majority of those workers waited hours in line to work at that job and happily do it, others on the other hand hate it, but I guess you see only the one sided extreme on everything and need to justify why people who buy android are just so gifted with technology and inept in picking their devices. Even though places like BB and Walmart push out 20 dollar Android phones to anyone, never asking about their needs.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I never said I was the smartest person on this boards, I've been reading all these posts saying that only uneducated end-users love the iPhone and that is just not true. I was saying that even a person with a tech educated background can still pick the iPhone and a person not the most savvy with tech can pick the iPhone, same goes with android. You didn't have to slash my throat for my comment.

Yes the SGIII has never had any screen issues, yes the GNEX never had any attena issues :rolleyes:.

You say slave labor, the vast majority of those workers waited hours in line to work at that job and happily do it, others on the other hand hate it, but I guess you see only the one sided extreme on everything and need to justify why people who buy android are just so gifted with technology and inept in picking their devices. Even though places like BB and Walmart push out 20 dollar Android phones to anyone, never asking about their needs.

Pretty sure the main topic of this thread is how iPhone owners are more educated then Android users. The general consensus from Android posters is that is absurd not that iPhone users are less educated.

I keep making jokes because I find the topic ridiculous. BTW I'm an iPhone user.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The latest Android phones are in line with the cost of iPhones, so I'm not sure I see the relevance of your findings.

I bought a Galaxy S3 and paid £500 for it without a contract. I then got an iPhone 5, which was £269 plus a 24-month contract. The 64GB version would've been £700 I think, but the 16GB is £500 - same as the S3.

Also since when was the amount of money somebody made a measure of intelligence? Pop stars and footballers wouldn't necessarily have to be that intelligent, but look how much money they make!

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
It doesn't make sense to pull up statistics of Android vs iOS. There are lots of Android handsets, from dirt cheap to more expensive than the iPhone 5. So if somebody has statistics of e.g. Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5, then that would be more suitable to the discussion.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Condescending-Wonka.jpg

My phone costs a bit more than the iPhone 5 does, and I study computer engineering. I can program for iOS and am currently working on an Android project, which is actually ok once you get over using something different. I've been using Macs for over a decade, have at least 1 iOS device, and have been contributing to this forum for a decade.

Show me all of the graphs you wish, but I think the idea here is crap. What kind of motivation is behind this topic? That's what I really want to know, does it make you feel better seeing graphs about how many more iOS users have a college education versus iOS users? Does it really?

Android phones are, and have been available for quite a while on prepaid carriers - you can buy an android phone for $50 easily for carriers such as Virgin - a year or so ago you could get a Virgin plan for $25/mo and an Optimus V to use on it for less than $100.

The Optimus V may be smaller, slower, and less attractive than an iPhone 5 but it does most of the same things; making phone calls, taking pictures, and playing games. Sure, it won't do them as nicely, but it can do them. Perhaps to the people that bought it, it wasn't worth the extra $50/mo and $100 to get an iPhone 5. Maybe they couldn't afford an iPhone 5, but really wanted a smartphone.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
At the end of the day, do you really care about Android users/iOS users? Does anyone really, truly care about this?

People in charge of company sales certainly do. They know where to spend their marketing dollars. They know where to spend their app development dollars. They know this, because analysis tells them where the money is.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Pretty sure the main topic of this thread is how iPhone owners are more educated then Android users. The general consensus from Android posters is that is absurd not that iPhone users are less educated.

The topic is iOS users having more disposable income. It got sideswiped somewhere along the line when some people felt upset by his claim.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
This post is even more idiotic than the OP's.

The fact that you spent any time at all searching for that nonsense is either disturbing, or telling.

Michael

A post from the WSJ is idiotic? Lol. Your response to statistical evidence is really telling and pretty darn idiotic :rolleyes:

And no I didn't search for it. I read it when it was first published and thought of it when I saw this thread

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
A post from the WSJ is idiotic? Lol. Your response to statistical evidence is really telling and pretty darn idiotic :rolleyes:

And no I didn't search for it. I read it when it was first published and thought of it when I saw this thread

Yes it was absurd. "122% prefer a sleek device that does nothing." Freaking hilarious.

Michael

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

WTF are you talking about.... I write off the mini because it is downright stupid, not because I can't afford one... My Nexus 7 has double the CPU power, double the RAM, a faster GPU, a higher resolution screen, and has the better OS, at least in my opinion. Even if the mini and Nexus were the same price I will still pick the nexus, so again, while it is great the Nexus is hundreds cheaper, overall price means nothing... I simply want the best product.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
What difference does it make to as to which device you own? How much of a fanboy do you have to be to bash on other devices and think that if someone buys the other kind of device is stupid and poor? Typical ignorance. I own an iPhone 5, iPad 2, galaxy nexus and the Nexus 7.

It's all down to what do you like.

Just plain stupid. It's like trying to tell a vegan that they're dumb for not eating meat. We all have our own tastes. Some people like android, some people like iOS, some don't like either, and some like both. Some people on both ends can get really annoying. What is the point of trying to convince an android fanboy that iOS is better and vice-versa.

Point is that you shouldn't worry about what other people like, just worry about what you like.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I work for a large travel company in the UK, looking at Google Analytics, the average spend on our website is really interesting.

Average spend per device on holidays/flights/booking:

iOS Phones: £352
iOS Tablets: £421
Android Phones: £188
Android Tablets £201

When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.

lol!! this really made my day. What a poor ASSUMPTION. Your 'facts' can be so wrongly interpreted.

Could it be that Android user just don't use their devices to purchase online?

oh my :eek:

and there are many phones that are priced up there with iphones...tablets too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.