Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Everytime apple does something good its ****ing stupid policys like that which drive me crazy and make no sense

Why the **** cant my cousin gift me an app with giftcards? whats the ****ing point of getting the gift card instead of selling it and getting a visa giftcard

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
This is dumb because either way I am speeding money, but I don't like to have a credit card on my iTunes account.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
What exactly do you mean giftcard?

I added two of the $100 giftcards I got from last summer back to school promotion and used that balance on my iTunes account to gift an app just fine...

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
When I tried to use my iTunes card credit to gift an app it wouldn't go through, it just kept asking for/wanting my credit card approval. It wouldn't take it from my credit like it does if I'm just buying myself an app. Unless its changed. I last tried several months or so ago.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
When I tried to use my iTunes card credit to gift an app it wouldn't go through, it just kept asking for/wanting my credit card approval. It wouldn't take it from my credit like it does if I'm just buying myself an app. Unless its changed. I last tried several months or so ago.

Interesting. Maybe try linking a credit or debit card and then try? It should use your iTunes balance before any cards.

edit:

Actually I guess you cant:

Additional Information
Note: When purchasing an iTunes Gift, a valid credit card must be on file; you cannot purchase an iTunes Gift with store credit. Purchased gifts cannot be redeemed outside of the country of purchase. For example, an iTunes Gift purchased in France cannot be redeemed on an iTunes Store outside of France. You can contact Apple Support to cancel an iTunes Gift up to two days before scheduled delivery.

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Does anyone know why this policy exists? Maybe iTunes credit is more difficult to refund or something?

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Does anyone know why this policy exists? Maybe iTunes credit is more difficult to refund or something?

Because apple likes doing stupid **** like this even though we buy there ducking phones at 70% profit margin for them

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Do you guys not have a credit card that allows setting up secondary virtual credit card numbers for on-line use? See http://lifehacker.com/5831160/use-v...p-safely-online-keeping-in-mind-the-downsides

(and FWIW, 70% "profit margin" is either gross exaggeration or shows a misunderstanding of all the costs to run a business in addition to the estimated bill-of-materials costs. )

----------

i guess you can always get back at them by pirating the app

Yeah, take money away from the developer. That'll show Apple! :rolleyes:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
It have been like this since i can remember, i have accounts in different countrys and only use giftcards; what i do is buy a vcc with X balance and gift that way.

Reasons ? Other than they can do what they want in regards of the appstore i dont see any other reason :eek:

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Do you guys not have a credit card that allows setting up secondary virtual credit card numbers for on-line use? See http://lifehacker.com/5831160/use-v...p-safely-online-keeping-in-mind-the-downsides

(and FWIW, 70% "profit margin" is either gross exaggeration or shows a misunderstanding of all the costs to run a business in addition to the estimated bill-of-materials costs. )

----------

Yeah, take money away from the developer. That'll show Apple! :rolleyes:

http://m.cultofmac.com/cultofmac/#!...cent-profit-margin,50ec9988d7fc7b5670e00a68/2

Are you forgetting apple sells these for $600+ to carriers?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Everytime apple does something good its ****ing stupid policys like that which drive me crazy and make no sense

Why the **** cant my cousin gift me an app with giftcards? whats the ****ing point of getting the gift card instead of selling it and getting a visa giftcard

Cursing, a really great way to complain. Bravo.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
whats the ****ing point of getting the gift card instead of selling it and getting a visa giftcard
The point's always subjective. Ask the person that gave your cousin the gift card.

As always "I can't see the reason" != "There is no reason".

Are you forgetting that it takes more than just parts and labor to create these devices? There's certainly still good profit in it for Apple but 70% is overestimating. If you can run a business only accounting for parts & labor then by all means go ahead.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
shows a misunderstanding of all the costs to run a business in addition to the estimated bill-of-materials costs.

Not at all. Are you forgetting that materials/parts cost is just one small part of the overall costs of running a business? Or do you not understand all the costs involved in running a business?

Apple does do pretty well, but claims of 75% "profit margin" is grossly inaccurate and indicates either willful misuse of the term or ignorance of business cost structures.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.