Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christy.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I'm following step #4, Change your DNS servers Under "Which security steps should I take" article. I did sys pref-network-select network-advanced-clicked DNS tab. Next step states "if any DNS servers are greyed out after entering your admin password"... Here is the problem. My screen, the boxes, never gave me a chance to enter my Admin password.... where should I have done that? I don't know why enter my admin password never showed up. I'm using an imac OX S.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me ( :

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I'm following step #4, Change your DNS servers Under "Which security steps should I take" article. I did sys pref-network-select network-advanced-clicked DNS tab. Next step states "if any DNS servers are greyed out after entering your admin password"... Here is the problem. My screen, the boxes, never gave me a chance to enter my Admin password.... where should I have done that? I don't know why enter my admin password never showed up. I'm using an imac OX S.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me ( :

When you select Network from System Preferences, is the lock icon at the bottom of the Network preference pane in an unlocked position? If so, you should be able to modify the DNS addresses without entering your password. (In fact, I just did so, just to check.) If the icon shows a locked lock, then you need to click on it and enter your password in order to modify settings.

christy.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you both for the info! And for the quick response! So nice!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.