Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1
haniel008
macrumors newbie

question about buying from craigslist

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/3610327615.html

this deal is too good to be true right?
what do i need to do b4 buying one from craigslist?

thanks in advance
haniel008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

$400 seems a bit cheap. My main concern would be how they got that picture if it's sealed in the box.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
$400 seems a bit cheap. My main concern would be how they got that picture if it's sealed in the box.
Yup was thinking the same.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Of course it wouldn't hurt to call and meet in a Starbucks. Just ask if you can open it to confirm before purchase. If not, I'd avoid it.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
haniel008
macrumors newbie

do i still need to check the serial once i opened it and confirmed that its an ipad mini?
haniel008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular

I sincerely doubt that this will pan out for you. If you have an email address that you don't care about (or use for these kinds of things), I'd inquire about it and ask why the ad contradicts itself and if he/she can provide more pictures. Worst-case scenario: you get an email telling you to go buy one on a penny auction website. Good luck!

Last edited by Infinite Jest; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:16 PM   #7
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by haniel008 View Post
do i still need to check the serial once i opened it and confirmed that its an ipad mini?
You should be able to tell it is once you open it. Of course you can check the settings to confirm what size it is and if it is indeed cellular. (You can also tell it's cellular by the long plastic strip across the back of the iPad.) You can also cross-check the serial from Settings>About to the iPad box to make sure they match. It's very possible someone bought it and needs the money more than the amount put back on their credit card. It isn't unheard of.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Too many things about this are wrong. Pictures don't match description on multiple levels. Extra cable not in list. Smart cover not in list. Definitely not sealed. Smart cover looks grungy already. Either the pictures or the description are clearly fraudulent.

If it really is still sealed and with receipt, person should just return it instead of taking a huge hit. Seller needs to explain this and explain the wrong pictures.

There is no "factory unlocked iPad Mini that will work on any carrier", at least not with LTE. The model A1454 is for AT&T LTE and the model A1455 is for Sprint and Verizon LTE.

Something funky going on. Many funky things going on. Too many red flags. I would run away and not look back.

Edit: I just checked the price for this ipad including all of the accessories listed and pictured. It's over $800.00 worth of brand new stuff for $400. There is no conceivable way this story is real. Either it's a scam, it's stolen, or you are going to get robbed at gunpoint.

Last edited by ActionableMango; Feb 21, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:20 PM   #9
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Yup was thinking the same.
Could always just get another picture from the internet, the picture isn't necessarily the exact one you're getting.

That being said, quite frankly you can find good deals on CL but I would worry about theft or scams..ESPECIALLY when it comes to Apple products. I personally wouldn't get an Apple product from CL.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

I share the sentiment of many in this forum about this particular seller. Things are not liming up well. You can always do research and be savvy in buying on CL, tho. I got my 4S AT&T on the cheap last year from a buyer who was looking to unload his Christmas gift for rent money. I had him send me the IMEI and serial number, to which I ran warranty info with Apple and made sure it wasn't blacklisted with AT&T. Met him at a Starbucks with my buddy, inspect it thoroughly with my SIM, made sure the network worked, installed apps, etc. In essence, Craigslist can work for the buyer wonderfully - you just have to be savvy.

Make sure to check this out thoroughly, OP.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:23 PM   #11
strayts
macrumors newbie

haha how can it be "SEALED" when the picture shows a clearly-used (although quite nice) smart cover? It seems sketchy, but who knows. Maybe they copy & pasted from another listing too quickly and didn't see the "SEALED" part (although it's kinda hard to miss...). Wouldn't cost anything but your time to meet them at Starbucks and check it out.
strayts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:27 PM   #12
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haniel008 View Post
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/3610327615.html

this deal is too good to be true right?
what do i need to do b4 buying one from craigslist?

thanks in advance
RUN AWAY.

There are plenty of deals on Craigslist, no need to get burned on this one. CL is loaded with scammers and douchebags but there are some good deals to be had too. Original packaging lends legitimacy, as does Apple care. It says that person takes care of their stuff.

You can look for scratches and a tripped moisture sensor too but I would suggest having the Genius Bar check it out. It's a nice public place and when I bought my 4S they did it free of charge.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad