Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkzbora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hey all-

I was thinking of upgrading my 08 Mac Pro. 2x2.8 Quad with the new MBP 2.7 i7...

I'm trying to figure out if I went from 8 down to 4... if it would benefit or hinder me. I know that not all programs are designed to make full use of all available cores, but my biggest concern is with Final Cut and After Effects.... since I use them for a living.

The only thing I'm loosing is 4 cores. I still gain more Ram and faster data speeds with flash memory and thunderbolt raid, trumping the Mac Pro in several areas. Plus I then gain mobility away from my desk to a location video shoot for work.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
by the Benchmarks

By the geekbench benchmarks, you should see a 25% speed uptick. If your tasks are highly processor intensive for long periods of time, however, you may run into problems with heat causing your processors to clock back on the laptop.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I have the same mac pro and wanting to upgrade as well. I did have a macbook pro at one stage but the heat killed it. I don't trust the macbook pro no matter how high tech its heat control system is. I am even edgy on going with the iMac. I use photoshop and cinema4d for my heaviest usage. I don't want my mac cooking. And I really do not want to revisit a windows machine again. so /bump!

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Hey all-

I was thinking of upgrading my 08 Mac Pro. 2x2.8 Quad with the new MBP 2.7 i7...

I'm trying to figure out if I went from 8 down to 4... if it would benefit or hinder me. I know that not all programs are designed to make full use of all available cores, but my biggest concern is with Final Cut and After Effects.... since I use them for a living.

The only thing I'm loosing is 4 cores. I still gain more Ram and faster data speeds with flash memory and thunderbolt raid, trumping the Mac Pro in several areas. Plus I then gain mobility away from my desk to a location video shoot for work.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

from what i have read, the 2.7 compared to the 2.6 is not very much at all and its not worth the extra 4-500 dollars for the 2.7 from the 2.6 i7 good luck in whatever you get! i have no idea about after efects but the new mbp looks like they handle final cut very well. its amazing what 4 years in computer tech will get you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.