Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ordya7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Yesterday I set up my daughters AppleTV in her dorm. The dorm uses TimeWarner Cable with a basic plan; so HBO is not one of her channels. Her mother and I subscribe to HBO through Cablevision.

Here's my question, since she can access our HBOGO app through her iPad, iPhone, and AppleTV via streaming can we access the HBOGO app, that's through Cablevision, on her TimeWarner internet feed? I started the process yesterday and began by stupidly signing up to TimeWarners internet account only to be, rightly, told that I do not have HBO as an option but never thought of registering the AppleTV through our Optimum account; which does have an HBO subscription.

Anybody think this will work? I'm not in her dorm now but, she's a smart kid, I may be able to explain it to her.

Thanks

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
It should work. I'll note though that most likely it's not Time Warner Internet in the dorm. Probably just use it for TV and have the dorm wired through their enterprise LAN network.

One thing that might cause problems in this setup is if there is web page authentication required for network access. Many colleges do that these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.