Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:01 PM   #201
schlaufox
macrumors member

Wow, most of you are being so incredibly dim, that it's almost surprising this is a forum centred around Apple products.

Designed by Apple in California has a whole lot of meaning behind it, and it's pretty simple as to why.

Apple invest more resources into the design and overall fit and finish of their products over most of their competitors within the electronics market. It means something to them, and they are proud to sign their work, from iPhones, to iMacs, to the Wireless Keyboard - that signature is there every time.

Apple started in California, and its HQ remains there today - of course they source talent from across the world, but there is so much history there for Apple. California has incredible ties with Silicon Valley, and Apple are proud of their roots. They often joke about the "boys up in Washington" (Psssst; that's Microsoft).

It just makes me wonder whether any of you know anything about Apple, or their entire ethos which centres around design. I think this is a great ad campaign. It panders to no one, and it reminds everyone why they're at the top.
schlaufox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:22 PM   #202
hoits2000
macrumors member

I really dislike these commercials. They are creepy and hard to tell what they are for until the end. Waste of money. It seems like they are directed towards people who already own apple products not towards people who don't have them yet.
hoits2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:01 PM   #203
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
"Designed by robots in bankrupt California, assembled by slaves in China"

Really pulls at the heart strings.
Yawn.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:01 PM   #204
centrifugal.me
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Ok I'll bite. How are Apple's products being assembled in China with my tax dollars?

I'm sure the taxes i pay are used so people on welfare can own iPhones, but not sure what the taxes I pay have to do with Apple's products being assembled in China.
centrifugal.me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:55 PM   #205
d0nK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
Understood. My point was more about why they use California versus America or USA.
For me, "California" brings images of Sun, surfing (Mavericks connection), hippies, Silicon Valley innovation, the place where the arcane laws are overturned and future laws and ideas are born.
Whereas, currently, "America" makes me think of wars, Big Brother, guns, the President and secrets and lies from the top.
d0nK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:07 PM   #206
FireFish
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple is continuing its new 'Designed by Apple' branding campaign with a new two-page print advertisement
There go my stock dividends.
FireFish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:48 PM   #207
Kobalt60
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlaufox View Post
Wow, most of you are being so incredibly dim, that it's almost surprising this is a forum centred around Apple products.

Designed by Apple in California has a whole lot of meaning behind it, and it's pretty simple as to why.

Apple invest more resources into the design and overall fit and finish of their products over most of their competitors within the electronics market. It means something to them, and they are proud to sign their work, from iPhones, to iMacs, to the Wireless Keyboard - that signature is there every time.

Apple started in California, and its HQ remains there today - of course they source talent from across the world, but there is so much history there for Apple. California has incredible ties with Silicon Valley, and Apple are proud of their roots. They often joke about the "boys up in Washington" (Psssst; that's Microsoft).

It just makes me wonder whether any of you know anything about Apple, or their entire ethos which centres around design. I think this is a great ad campaign. It panders to no one, and it reminds everyone why they're at the top.
Agreed. It's a branding ad, because it builds upon Apple's brand distinctiveness, rather than merely selling a particular product. And, I can't think of a better way to distinguish Apple's product from those of its competitors, than by the immaculate attention paid to their design.
Kobalt60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:01 PM   #208
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

The print ads are a horrible waste of paper - the green folks should get on Apple's case for needlessly killing trees.

They just don't work - especially in newsprint with the washed-out colors.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:15 PM   #209
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
Given all of the bad reputation built up by the Bush (junior) administration around the "USA" name, it's a very wise choice to say "in California".
Far be it from me to stick up for Dubya and company, but it's been said that drone strikes (with their collateral casualties) and secret surveillance have intensified under Obama.

(I'm surprised no one replied to your post before I did. Have any posts been deleted?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I suppose if the Think Different campaign came out today you'd whine that it should have been Think Differently.
Would Think, "different." be correct, too?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:25 PM   #210
beetlemanptm
macrumors member

The "Designed by Apple in California" print ad campaign is now running in magazines as well as newspapers. I saw this print ad in the August 2013 issue of Esquire magazine. It appeared in the first two pages of this magazine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	422796  
beetlemanptm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion