Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Ive got a 2011 Mac Mini 8GB ram 2.3ghz with Lion.

Been on the Apple site and the upgrade to Mountain Lion is only £13.99. Although i think i dont really need it, just wondering if i upgrade to it then will it wipe all my personal files or apps ?

I'll only upgrade if its hassle free.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Lots of people might recommend against going from Snow Leopard to Lion, because of the big UI changes. Can't think of any reason you wouldn't want to go from Lion to Mountain Lion, though.

And yes, it's hassle-free. Usually. Just back-up your stuff first, and then you've got nothing to worry about.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Will it definitely wipe my personal files off though ??
Also how long will it take to upgrade ?

Do I lose all my settings aswell such as desktop etc ?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Will it definitely wipe my personal files off though ??
Also how long will it take to upgrade ?

Do I lose all my settings aswell such as desktop etc ?

There's a few nice refinements in ML (Safari being just one out of the bunch) and since it's free for you to upgrade it's definitely worth it. You SHOULD always backup even when you're 100 certain that nothing will go wrong. You can just download ML from the Mac App Store and the install will begin automatically. It will archive all your existing files, install ML and put everything back upon arrival to the desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.