Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Tknull
macrumors regular

Drupal address information help/question

My website has text boxes to enter two addresses (pickup address and delivery address)... and it calculates a delivery price quote based on the distance between those two points...

Name:  Site Screen.png
Views: 117
Size:  82.5 KB

The developer set it up so that a zip code is the only required element (obviously it is not as precise as a full address). I'm curious to know if it is difficult to modify it so that as you start typing an address, it displays a pop up list of suggested addresses (as google maps does), which gets more precise as you provide more information...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maps Screen Shot.png
Views:	26
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	423654

I'd like to pay to have this done, but am not sure if this is easily done... (my developer is unavailable... need to find a new one).

Last edited by Tknull; Jul 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: images added, clarification
Tknull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2
jsm4182
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jsm4182
It is possible to add autocomplete from the google maps API to a field like that. How difficult it would be to bring in a new developer to implement it can vary a lot based on how the site was originally set up. It appears the calculator is a custom module, so that may be difficult to work with. The autocomplete feature requires Google maps API v3, if a different API is currently being used that could cause issues.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
960design
macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm just totally wrong here ( haven't worked on something like this in years ), but...

I believe delivery charges for all shipped packages are based (calculated) on zip code to zip code, not street address to street address ( and weight ).

Do you have a case where a price was different?

PS We developers are always busy.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Tknull
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm4182 View Post
It is possible to add autocomplete from the google maps API to a field like that. How difficult it would be to bring in a new developer to implement it can vary a lot based on how the site was originally set up. It appears the calculator is a custom module, so that may be difficult to work with. The autocomplete feature requires Google maps API v3, if a different API is currently being used that could cause issues.
I checked all the modules listed for the website, and I do not see one named Google Maps. So I think you are correct that they created a custom one. Perhaps this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleetfoot Modules.png
Views:	28
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	423771

So I guess I'll just need to pay someone to go dig in and see if it can be done...? I'd be game if this could be done in under several hours of work (assuming $50/hour). But if it would require a lot more than that, i'm not sure.

p.s. The reason for wanting to add this auto-fill is because many of our customers seem confused about how to enter the address. Even though there is a question mark icon next to the field, which a hover over would show some example formatting options... or inform them that only a zip code is required... they give up and just call.

Last edited by Tknull; Jul 18, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Tknull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:07 PM   #5
960design
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tknull View Post
The reason for wanting to add this auto-fill is because many of our customers seem confused about how to enter the address. Even though there is a question mark icon next to the field, which a hover over would show some example formatting options... or inform them that only a zip code is required... they give up and just call.
I'd recommend focusing on the problem. Clean up the form a bit.
Include something like:
Code:
From Street Address
[                          ]
State    ZipCode
[   ]     [           ]

To Street Address
[                          ]
State    ZipCode
[   ]     [           ]
Users never hover to read or learn. If they cannot see it immediately, it will lower your conversion.
I spend HOURS figuring out how best to present something to increase conversion.

Good luck!!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development