Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 9, 2014, 02:33 PM   #26
priitv8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
If it's just removing the DRM (like Requiem does) then it is not re-encoding the video so you will not see any difference because literally the only difference is the DRM is gone.
From what I see, it seems the thing uses iTunes and QuickTime to do the de-DRM. Because it won't run on my machine that is not authorised on iTunes and also launches QuickTime.
Because my movie is so old, that it requires 32-bit QT, and I have iTunes 11 (which refuses to run in 32-bit mode and won't run old 32-bit QT), I can not use this program at all.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:38 PM   #27
Grant Gross
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian33 View Post
This looks interesting. So you've actually tried it and it worked with iTunes 11?

I'm still using iTunes 10 and Mountain Lion largely because I want to watch the movies on non-apple devices and iTunes 10 is the last version that Requiem works with. At some point I'm going to want to upgrade OS X (and will thus have to upgrade iTunes), and this issue is holding me back.

I wouldn't call it shareware, though! The free trial only converts the first five minutes of each movie, and you need to pay $45 for a reg code to convert full movies. Still, I'd be willing to pay that if it didn't get me into financial or legal trouble. I am a little worried about that, though: I guess that selling a product to remove the DRM is maybe illegal, and that anyone willing to run a possibly illegitimate business may not be the most trustworthy with my email and payment information, even if I use PayPal. Plus, my info will be in the company's records; could I be prosecuted in the U.S. for buying this software?

I don't know that much about copyright infringement, etc., so perhaps my concerns are exaggerated...

In any case, thanks for letting us know about this option for DRM removal. Any other usage information would be appreciated; have you come across any certain files or media types it doesn't work with?
Actually I didn't think too much about the legal issue when I making the payment. But to my knowledge, I would believe it's legal since I'm using it for personal use only instead of some commercial purposes for profit.

FYI, I'm now running this program on my MacBook Pro 10.9.5 with iTunes 11.4. And so far, it appeared to work great for most of the files I purchased from iTunes, though it might still encounter some problems for certain rentals.
Grant Gross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:50 PM   #28
Grant Gross
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
If it's just removing the DRM (like Requiem does) then it is not re-encoding the video so you will not see any difference because literally the only difference is the DRM is gone.
Not sure how it works in removing the DRM. But I do noticed some small differences about the file size between the original rented video and the converted file. That's the only difference I can apparently tell.
Grant Gross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:32 AM   #29
StinDaWg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Gross View Post
Actually I didn't think too much about the legal issue when I making the payment. But to my knowledge, I would believe it's legal since I'm using it for personal use only instead of some commercial purposes for profit.
It's actually not technically legal. You can't even make legal backups of your own DVDs/Blu-rays according to the law. You're not going to go to jail or anything, but it is what it is.
StinDaWg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:28 AM   #30
Brian33
macrumors 6502a

Thank you, Grant Gross, for the info. It's especially valuable for me to know that it's working with OS X 10.9.5 with iTunes 11.4, as that gives me a useful upgrade option.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about getting in trouble for stripping the files for my own use, and morally/ethically I feel OK about the way I am using the DRM-free files. I was more worried about the trustworthiness of the business selling the software (e.g., security of my payment information). My unease is based solely on the (maybe incorrect) idea that they are running an "illegitimate" business and that therefore they may be more likely to do something I didn't want with my payment info...

But this is pure speculation -- I have no real reason to think the risk is any higher than your average internet business. I may well purchase the software anyway!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater