Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
PedroDias
macrumors member

Terrivle battery life

I'm on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2. Until today i was having bad battry life (ranging from 5-6 hours) on casual usage. (Some gaming (15-30 minutes), the rest on facebook, twitter and safari) but today, doing the exact same stuff i usually do i got 3 hours usage only. Yes, I already restored my fone, twice! Yes, I restored it to factory settings. I don't have alot of things on push notifications (fb only) and i really try to be as battery friendly as possible. What else should i do? Should i try to downgrade my phone to 6.0.1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	389112  
PedroDias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Probably the 3G signal strength, if it's weak the phone will turn up the gain to lock onto the signal. This puts a heavy drain on the battery.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3
PedroDias
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Probably the 3G signal strength, if it's weak the phone will turn up the gain to lock onto the signal. This puts a heavy drain on the battery.
But a 60% bigger drain? Omg, that's too much!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
dannyboy42670
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDias View Post
Actually this is exactly what happens at my highshool. Verizon is bad in my area. Outside the school I get 2 Bars, inside I get 1 bar of 1x or if im lucky 1 bar of 3G, I usually leave school with 40% or less after 6 hours when entering with 100% and maybe 30 minutes usage for music or a quick text.
dannyboy42670 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
JohnnyGo
macrumors member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Pedro: In Brazil, particularly roaming outside your home state, Claro and TIM will eat your iPhone battery !!!

Thinking about trying Vivo but definitely the answer is network strength / roaming. The iPhone works best with strong signals.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
PedroDias
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGo View Post
Pedro: In Brazil, particularly roaming outside your home state, Claro and TIM will eat your iPhone battery !!!

Thinking about trying Vivo but definitely the answer is network strength / roaming. The iPhone works best with strong signals.
Thanks!
Apple should at least try to do something about it...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I'm at 70% for today and have a useage of 2hrs, 14mins and standby of 9hrs, 19mins. I've gone to a genius appt. 2 times now complaining about the lack of optimization of ios6 and the new iPhone5. The guy replaced my phone on the second visit, but its only a shade better, instead of 5.5hrs max, I may get 6.5hrs max each charge.

I'm really hardly using the phone. It's all about my weak signal indoors with AT&T 4g or LTE. I only have 3 bars max throughout the day.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:11 PM   #8
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks!
Yes, they should revolutionize the industry by magically creating a cellular standard that doesn't rely on a local amplifier. Sounds completely possible. In fact, Apple should do it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:21 PM   #9
jetlagged
macrumors regular

it is what it is. i've learned to accept that the battery life for my iphone 5 will never be as good as the iphone 4 i owned. no matter the different things i did to help solve this issue. i'm just gonna have to live with it.

i get around 5-6 hours battery life on LTE and mainly browsing the net, watching youtube, checking emails and using various news apps.

but guess what, i'd rather live with a terrible battery life, subpar battery life than what apple advertised than deal with a scuffed phone, a bent phone. i'm glad i dont have to deal with the latter 2
jetlagged is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:29 PM   #10
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
There's nothing for Apple to do. This is how the networks work. It doesn't matter what Apple does as they don't have any control over the carrier networks.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:19 PM   #11
ATC
macrumors 6502a

I guess it all must depend on where you are, signal strength and whatnot. On my 5 I have 3 push emails going all day, all radios constantly on (wifi, 3G, LTE, BlueTooth) and getting this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	389191  
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2. Until today i was having bad battry life (ranging from 5-6 hours) on casual usage. (Some gaming (15-30 minutes), the rest on facebook, twitter and safari) but today, doing the exact same stuff i usually do i got 3 hours usage only. Yes, I already restored my fone, twice! Yes, I restored it to factory settings. I don't have alot of things on push notifications (fb only) and i really try to be as battery friendly as possible. What else should i do? Should i try to downgrade my phone to 6.0.1?
You misspelled "Terrific"...
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone