Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Hello,
Looking for the cheapest bare minimum laptop for iOS development. What specs would you say are needed? I'm just learning how to program so I just want to test it out first. Was looking for a 13" screen. Also, someone was telling me you can't replace the battery on some macs as they are soldered in place? That would be my only concern with buying used is that it would have horrible battery life and I would not be able to change it out easily. Budget would be sub $600. Is the latest Mac OS required?

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
If you do this at home a Mac Mini would be an option and a cheap monitor.

Yeah, I actually just bought a mac mini at home. I work on the road a lot though so I wanted a very cheap mac laptop for this. Any suggestions on places to buy used or refurb? Little wary of eBay/craigslist. Apple store refurb price is still pretty rediculous.

----------

I'm thinking about getting the 2008 model MB466LL/A Macbook. Is 2gb enough memory or should I be upgrading to 4gb?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yeah, I actually just bought a mac mini at home. I work on the road a lot though so I wanted a very cheap mac laptop for this. Any suggestions on places to buy used or refurb? Little wary of eBay/craigslist. Apple store refurb price is still pretty rediculous.

----------

I'm thinking about getting the 2008 model MB466LL/A Macbook. Is 2gb enough memory or should I be upgrading to 4gb?

Think the only option is just that, Ebay and Craigslist.

For a few dollars more I would go to at least 4 GB.

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Yeah, think I will go for ebay. Thanks. How easy is it to change the battery on an older model say 2008? Read somewhere that some mac laptops had batteries glued or soldered or something like that...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If you can scrape together a little more, I'd consider a refurb MacBook Air from the Apple store. I've seen them in the $800-900 range. They'll last longer, have a warranty, and you won't need to worry about upgrading batteries or anything right off the bat.

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
If you can scrape together a little more, I'd consider a refurb MacBook Air from the Apple store. I've seen them in the $800-900 range. They'll last longer, have a warranty, and you won't need to worry about upgrading batteries or anything right off the bat.

Yeah, really not looking to spend more than $600. When do the 2013 models come out? Maybe I'll wait till then, prices for the 2009, 2010 models may fall some after that?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, really not looking to spend more than $600. When do the 2013 models come out? Maybe I'll wait till then, prices for the 2009, 2010 models may fall some after that?

I think last year (and possibly the year before that, too) the updated MacBook Airs showed up in mid-July.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Yeah, think I will go for ebay. Thanks. How easy is it to change the battery on an older model say 2008? Read somewhere that some mac laptops had batteries glued or soldered or something like that...

2008 models are super simple to replace the battery. It wasn't until much later that they started making the batteries non-user-replaceable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.