Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Okay, usually not a dilemma, as the bride's usually dictate that the dress be pearl white in every shot.

But from a photographer's perspective, i'm not sure. i often really like the white balance that paints a soft, warm ambient tone over the composition. it has atmosphere. i find the plain white balance that comes with a pearly white dress to be..... sterile.

what do you think?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Okay, usually not a dilemma, as the bride's usually dictate that the dress be pearl white in every shot.

But from a photographer's perspective, i'm not sure. i often really like the white balance that paints a soft, warm ambient tone over the composition. it has atmosphere. i find the plain white balance that comes with a pearly white dress to be..... sterile.

what do you think?

I think most brides will be focused more on the people than the tone. You can choose to shoot with a real white or gray card balance and produce "as it actually was" pictures, or you can shoot the way your vision "sees" the scene. Either your clients will like your vision or not- or they'll like reality or not. I think that varies from shot-to-shot and person-to-person. Finally, you can shoot either way, adjust for the other, print both and ask a neutral third party.

Personally, i think most of the time pure whites and blacks preserve the "fairy tale" look most folks want in a wedding, but a warmer tone is more of a vision thing. There's room for both, so long as they're not side-by-side.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Take the two attached here. One metered for a white dress, the other warmer to accommodate for the natural lighting.

This particular bride prefers the off-white in all the shots, as do i. but most of the brides i know want the white dress. it's frustrating, but i've learned to shrug it off and give them what they want.

Attachments

• potentials - 51-2.jpg
    potentials - 51-2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 263
  • potentials - 51.jpg
    potentials - 51.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 240

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Take the two attached here. One metered for a white dress, the other warmer to accommodate for the natural lighting.

This particular bride prefers the off-white in all the shots, as do i. but most of the brides i know want the white dress. it's frustrating, but i've learned to shrug it off and give them what they want.

I'd probably have just rebalanced the dress for the second shot, the carpet looks horrid to me with that cast, but you have to give them what they want- that's either the fairy tale look or your vision, whichever sold them on choosing you.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
What about a happy compromise? I suppose you could also make the offwhite dress with the other colors from the white dress pictures as well.

Attachments

• compromise.jpg
    compromise.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 187

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Slapped them on top of each other in photoshop, then erased the dress in the top layer to expose the dress on the bottom layer.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Changing the white balance just for the dress could become very time consuming...

I would pick somewhere in the middle for something like that. For people, I try to go for warm skin tones without giving the rest of the room too much color cast.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The warm photo is too warm. Give them what they want by giving them a warmer photo, but don't overdo it. The carpet, their skin....it all looks bad. I mean, yes the carpet probably looks bad in real life, but you don't need to accentuate it. :p

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Did you use any flash in these photos?

The heavy shadows under the chins and in the eyes lead me to believe that you didn't.

A soft bounce flash would make all the difference in the world of "having" to color correct the dress.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
yeah i used a flash, but it was like a 50 foot high ceiling. the flash really struggled just to get what you see here. I replaced the sb-600 i used with an sb-800 literally the day after. nothing sucks more than not getting the shot you want because you're underpowered.

but this is a more extreme example of the white balance, just to make a point.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Slapped them on top of each other in photoshop, then erased the dress in the top layer to expose the dress on the bottom layer.

That sounds like allot more work than it needed to be.

I just did a quick tone edit in iPhoto to achieve similar results. Also did a touch on sharpness and contrast.

attachment.php.jpg

The warm photo is too warm. Give them what they want by giving them a warmer photo, but don't overdo it. The carpet, their skin....it all looks bad. I mean, yes the carpet probably looks bad in real life, but you don't need to accentuate it. :p
LOL!

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
yeah i used a flash, but it was like a 50 foot high ceiling. the flash really struggled just to get what you see here. I replaced the sb-600 i used with an sb-800 literally the day after. nothing sucks more than not getting the shot you want because you're underpowered.

but this is a more extreme example of the white balance, just to make a point.

A bounce flash does not have to bounce off of the ceiling. You can use a simple index card and a rubber band around the top of your flash gun to give some soft light to your subject.

I've used LumiQuest products for years, but a couple of weeks ago someone handed me a camera with this wierd thing on top I had never seen before. Check out the Light Sphere @ http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

I've used it one time for one shot and will be checking it out more this week.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
A bounce flash does not have to bounce off of the ceiling. You can use a simple index card and a rubber band around the top of your flash gun to give some soft light to your subject.

I've used LumiQuest products for years, but a couple of weeks ago someone handed me a camera with this wierd thing on top I had never seen before. Check out the Light Sphere @ http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

I've used it one time for one shot and will be checking it out more this week.

You can do a better/cheaper job with some foamy stuff from Wal-Mart and still get a wide bounce and not look like your mom's Tupperware collection got fused to your flash.

DonaldStevens

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013

But from a photographer's perspective, i'm not sure. i often really like the white balance that paints a soft, warm ambient tone over the composition. it has atmosphere. i find the plain white balance that comes with a pearly white
wedding dress to be..... sterile.

what do you think?

Very nice thought. But in my opinion it should be more colorful than just white dress. It would make occasion more special :)

Last edited:

farbRausch

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Your images just need a little bit more 'pop' in my opinion. The first looks typical for out of camera. But don't try fix that with the white balance. Instead use vibrance, saturation, contrast & levels (depending on the software these may have different names). This way, the dress will stay white.
This is my suggestion:

Attachments

• macrumorsUpload 008.jpg
    macrumorsUpload 008.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 118

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Very nice thought. But in my opinion it should be more colorful than just white dress. It would make occasion more special :)

You do know that you just revived a 6 y/o thread?

I might as well put my 2 cents worth. White balance for the skin and then tone the picture, it just looks weird if the dress is always perfectly white. Also why bother correcting this shot when the ladies aren partly looking at the camera and said camera is at a 20º angle?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The use of software like Photoshop does indeed come in handy.

From days of yore, one always shot for making the bride herself look best and the dress took a distant second. A good photographer can find often a happy medium and often the use of filters were used during the shoot on camera, flash or tinted reflectors etc.

With Photoshop, it is very easy to get the ideal - create two layers that are identical on top of the original. On the newest layer, colour correct for best skin. On the layer beneath, adjust for the dress. Show all layers and then subtract out the top layer where the dress exists. This is much akin to evening out tones or special dodge/burn techniques but in this case, it is for colour balance.

Interestingly enough, in the days of film, often shooting with Kodak pro films and printing on Fuji papers gave the best of all worlds. Skins were beautiful and the dress often had its own quality that was not an overdone static white but just a tiny hint of tint.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
You can do a better/cheaper job with some foamy stuff from Wal-Mart and still get a wide bounce and not look like your mom's Tupperware collection got fused to your flash.

HAHAHAHAHA That is great! Was skimming through this thread in all seriousness and then suddenly I lost it at that one. Thanks.

Also, apparently I didn't notice that this was a 6 year old thread either. Oops.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
As I read this thread the only name I recognized was "compuwar", I thought "wow, a lot of new people here in the photog forum". Then I saw 2007 and realized it was before I even got back into Photography Nov-2009.

So. "DonaldStevens", why did you revive a 6 year old thread?
As a test to members to see who is paying attention?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.