Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:41 PM   #201
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
You'd have to douse one really good to start a decent immolation pandemic.

...but what if they're fast zombies? Not the stumbling, slow, George Romero zombies, but the 28 Days Later variety?
those zombies are fake, they made them that way for the movie, everyone knows REAL zombies are slow , just Hollywoods way of messing with people, fast zombies, vampires that glow in the sun ETC.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:42 PM   #202
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Those are infected...not zombies

And you wait those guys out till they starve to death or dehydrate easier than fighting them.
You're right. Should've gone with Walking Dead zombies. They're a bit of both.

Though ultimately, you could play the waiting game with regular zombies as well. Even though they're not technically alive, and don't necessarily need a brain to function, they still rely on their muscles to move about. You could just hole up for a month or two and wait for the vast majority of them to rot away to immobility.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:44 PM   #203
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
You're right. Should've gone with Walking Dead zombies. They're a bit of both.

Though ultimately, you could play the waiting game with regular zombies as well. Even though they're not technically alive, and don't necessarily need a brain to function, they still rely on their muscles to move about. You could just hole up for a month or two and wait for the vast majority of them to rot away to immobility.
you forget we are all infected, so as we croak new zombies appear
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:55 PM   #204
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
you forget we are all infected, so as we croak new zombies appear
True. We'd all be dealing with zombies for years to come.

BUUTTT...

...the worst of it would be over after the first month or so. After that, all you'd have to worry about are the occasional stragglers.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:59 PM   #205
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
True. We'd all be dealing with zombies for years to come.

BUUTTT...

...the worst of it would be over after the first month or so. After that, all you'd have to worry about are the occasional stragglers.
not just stragglers that we need to worry about, the only known DR who seems to know what the cure is happens to be captive in a train car, the living happen to be deadlier than the walkers in some cases , I hope I don't end up there, it will give new meaning to the words "we are having Mexican tonight"
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:05 PM   #206
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
not just stragglers that we need to worry about, the only known DR who seems to know what the cure is happens to be captive in a train car, the living happen to be deadlier than the walkers in some cases
Shh. Not everyone has seen that far

And a flash pandemic caused by bites alone could infect 30 million real quick. Waiting them out would be tough since you'd probably be overwhelmed within the first 72hrs, and being the dead has anti-necrotic elements so the dead will be lingering a bit. Hard to wait out.

All you city folk out there would be screwed.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:08 PM   #207
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
not just stragglers that we need to worry about, the only known DR who seems to know what the cure is happens to be captive in a train car, the living happen to be deadlier than the walkers in some cases , I hope I don't end up there, it will give new meaning to the words "we are having Mexican tonight"
Eh. The collapse of society won't mean you can't hole up somewhere and grow a garden. I doubt you'll have to worry about getting eaten. I mean all the people who got killed in the first wave of the zombie attacks means you've got more empty space to disappear in. Just move out to Kansas somewhere and start a little corn farm.

No one will go out to Kansas willingly. Kansas is boring!

On another note, we're really putting a lot of thought into this, aren't we? :P
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:14 PM   #208
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Eh. The collapse of society won't mean you can't hole up somewhere and grow a garden. I doubt you'll have to worry about getting eaten. I mean all the people who got killed in the first wave of the zombie attacks means you've got more empty space to disappear in. Just move out to Kansas somewhere and start a little corn farm.

Deep down, or not so deep, everyone loves the zombie apocalypse.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:19 PM   #209
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Shh. Not everyone has seen that far

And a flash pandemic caused by bites alone could infect 30 million real quick. Waiting them out would be tough since you'd probably be overwhelmed within the first 72hrs, and being the dead has anti-necrotic elements so the dead will be lingering a bit. Hard to wait out.

All you city folk out there would be screwed.
depends on where you fortify yourself, I have the keys to the shop so i can move things around & wait things out a bit, every keyboard cowboy & wannabe bear grills clown will be hitting the roads & congesting them, let them take the brunt of the hit & wait things out in a safe spot BEFORE heading out.
Quote:

see above, everyone will try & "bug out" & simply become nothing but more zombies, wait things out a bit, there is a Costco I might take over AFTER things somewhat settle down
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:28 PM   #210
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Deep down, or not so deep, everyone loves the zombie apocalypse.
...unless you're right in the middle of it. Then it'd kinda suck. :P

Quote:
see above, everyone will try & "bug out" & simply become nothing but more zombies, wait things out a bit, there is a Costco I might take over AFTER things somewhat settle down
"You know what this means, Bobby? The buck fifty hot dogs aren't a buck fifty any more, and it's all you can eat day, son. First come, first serve"!

:cocks shotgun:

"Let's do this".
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 03:13 PM   #211
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
...unless you're right in the middle of it. Then it'd kinda suck. :P

"You know what this means, Bobby? The buck fifty hot dogs aren't a buck fifty any more, and it's all you can eat day, son. First come, first serve"!

:cocks shotgun:

"Let's do this".
YEAP, NEW "free" market
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:14 PM   #212
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

This is one of the most intelligent gun threads ever. Just saying.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:42 PM   #213
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
This is one of the most intelligent gun threads ever. Just saying.
how many guns would you like to have for the Zombie apocalypse?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:50 AM   #214
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I acquired a taste for sheep's brains as a child in the Persian Gulf. I might just join up with the zombies.
skunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:13 AM   #215
dime21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Tell that to the families of these 83 children, all of whom were killed by a gun accident (12/2012 through 11/2013):
Only 83? In a nation with 300,000,000 people and 300,000,000 guns? That seems pretty darn good, impressive even! It's a testament to the responsibility of the modern gun owner in America. Clearly the modern American gun owner is far far more responsible than the average citizen:

Consider that there are 121,000 accidental deaths per year in the US. Of those, 26,000 are from falling. 33,000 from car crashes. and 33,000 from poisoning. And only 83 of those 121,000 are children in firearms accidents? Bravo firearms owners, stay vigilant.

Edit: source http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:40 AM   #216
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Only 83? In a nation with 300,000,000 people and 300,000,000 guns? That seems pretty darn good, impressive even! It's a testament to the responsibility of the modern gun owner in America. Clearly the modern American gun owner is far far more responsible than the average citizen:

Consider that there are 121,000 accidental deaths per year in the US. Of those, 26,000 are from falling. 33,000 from car crashes. and 33,000 from poisoning. And only 83 of those 121,000 are children in firearms accidents? Bravo firearms owners, stay vigilant.

Edit: source http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm
The fact that you even try to marginalize the deaths of children as "only" tells us how extreme you really are. You're talking children here. CHILDREN.

One child is one too many. Even Sarah Palin would agree with that. The very fact that you think that this is 'pretty impressive' is absolutely disgusting.

But I guess we have to grow to accept that from you.

BL.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:47 AM   #217
dime21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
The fact that you even try to marginalize the deaths of children as "only" tells us how extreme you really are. You're talking children here. CHILDREN.

One child is one too many. Even Sarah Palin would agree with that. The very fact that you think that this is 'pretty impressive' is absolutely disgusting.

BL.
Ok, it's time to put on your big boy pants, I know this is a difficult subject, but even you can do it. Do you need a tissue? A hug? Ok, lets begin. Accident statistics are just that; statistics. If you want to discuss them, you've got to use a little emotional maturity. But Think Of The Children!!!1111 is not a coherent data point.

Your choice to focus on firearm accidents illuminates your biased agenda. More kids are killed by clueless soccer Mom backing them over them in her SUV. Probably with an Obama bumper sticker on the back:

http://www.kidsandcars.org/statistics.html

33,000 people are poisoned each year in the US. Poisoned! When's the last time you saw on the nightly news about someone being poisoned? Yet it happens 33,000 times every year. That's 33,000 times too many.

Focusing on the 83 when there's 121,000 other accidental deaths each and every year is really revealing; it shows either an inability to perform elementary school arithmetic, or a crooked biased agenda combined with a willingness to ignore reality. Which is it?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:00 PM   #218
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ok, it's time to put on your big boy pants, I know this is a difficult subject, but even you can do it. Do you need a tissue? A hug? Ok, lets begin. Accident statistics are just that; statistics. If you want to discuss them, you've got to use a little emotional maturity. But Think Of The Children!!!1111 is not a coherent data point.

Your choice to focus on firearm accidents illuminates your biased agenda. More kids are killed by clueless soccer Mom backing them over them in her SUV. Probably with an Obama bumper sticker on the back:

http://www.kidsandcars.org/statistics.html

33,000 people are poisoned each year in the US. Poisoned! When's the last time you saw on the nightly news about someone being poisoned? Yet it happens 33,000 times every year. That's 33,000 times too many.

Focusing on the 83 when there's 121,000 other accidental deaths each and every year is really revealing; it shows either an inability to perform elementary school arithmetic, or a crooked biased agenda combined with a willingness to ignore reality. Which is it?
This is a firearms thread, and you say that our focus on firearms illustrates our agenda? Reading comprehension FAIL.

Again, like the insipid comments made by Joe the Plumber, that even Republicans backed away from, your attempt to marginalize the deaths of children due to firearms is absolutely disgusting. There is no way around that. Judge me all you want; call me a 'bleeding heart liberal'. I'll wear that moniker with pride, because unlike yourself, I am actually caring more for our posterity in this country than an inanimate object that actually killed our posterity.

You really have no argument in this, because you actually marginalize child deaths to your right to keep your guns. That is absolutely disgusting. Again, we come to expect that from you. But do carry on; we are truly seeing the type of person you are.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:16 PM   #219
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post

BL.
Then ban swimming pools. Since one child is too many. No one needs a swimming pool.

----------

Quote:
As many as I can carry and still do ten minute miles. So probably not many

Technarchy is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:57 PM   #220
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
33,000 people are poisoned each year in the US. Poisoned!
The "poisoning" deaths aren't murders, committed by wily temptresses slipping arsenic into the wealthy husband's cocktails.

"Poisonings" are overwhelmingly accidental deaths or suicides resulting from misuse or over-use of prescription and non-prescription medication. And, by the way, its now more than 40,000 each year.

Its a serious problem, largely driven by the widespread availability of new and more potent opioid analgesics ( oxycodone, methadone, or hydrocodone). Deaths from this sort of medication quadrupled, from about 4000 annually, to more than 16,000 annually between 1999 and 2010.

Drug poisoning made up 38,000 out of the 42,000 (88%) total "poisoning" deaths in the US in 2010. The rest involved misuse of household and industrial chemicals. They also include roughly 3,000 people who die from food poisoning every year. According to the FBI poison or narcotics were used to murder someone in the USA a mere 50 times in 2010.

Poisoning is a huge problem. But its one the medical community, drug makers, the pharmaceutical industry, and - yes - individual Americans need to address.
vrDrew is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:20 PM   #221
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Society is capable of multi-tasking. We are not restricted to handling only a single problem, focusing on the highest number and working our way down one step at a time.

While you believe this shows an inability to do arithmetic, I'd suggest your point of view demonstrates an inability to embrace human intelligence and social order, and our ability to work within society to tackle multiple problems at the same time.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:44 PM   #222
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Society is capable of multi-tasking.
So you say...In practice, not so much.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:48 PM   #223
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You statement is not backed up by reality.

If you need further explanation, I'll detail some of the ways you are wrong.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:58 PM   #224
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Society is capable of multi-tasking. ... and our ability to work within society to tackle multiple problems at the same time.
Quote:
Quote:
"Society", and businesses, governments, and individuals, constantly multitask.

Though I have to wonder about "the media"-- that is, TV journalism. Something about the TV News medium and the people attracted to do it, and those who watch it. Once they get something in their sights, whether it is Benghazi, the War on Drugs, or children crossing the border, that is all they can talk about. Politicians cynically take advantage of it, and, the media reward them for "staying on message".
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:59 PM   #225
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:

If you need further explanation, I'll detail some of the ways you are wrong.
Our society is a democratic republic.

The reps are party hacks.

These hacks have talking points and agendas.

Due to pork and collusion, one major issue is handled at a time to maximize press time, money, time and energy.

Low information voters get their information from hacks in the press that push the agenda or whatever gets headlines. Whatever is greater, creating myopic voters.
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues