Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
So, I've moved the iTunes library over to the Drobo 5D (connected via Thunderbolt), then restarted iTunes holding the Option key and Chose Library on the Drobo. I renamed the old iTunes library on the MBP and will delete it when all is done.

How can I successfully use the laptop to "consume" content while disconnected from the Drobo?
Also, how can I use the laptop to download content at work via my high speed fiber connection and then "sync" it when I get home to the Drobo??

Thanks!

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
Any apps for sync'ing one library to multiple machines?

OK, maybe this will make my question clearer:
1. User copied iTunes library over to Drobo.
2. User leaves Drobo at home and goes to work and downloads new content on the MacBook Pro.
3. User returns home and reconnects to the Drobo.
I believe, the only way to accomplish this scenario is to have a second iTunes library on the laptop authorized with the same credentials of the one on the Drobo. Then, manually copy new items over to the Drobo for backup purposes. When the user wants to access content that is on the Drobo, they will have to change iTunes library locations from the iTunes Preferences.
Is there any other way to do this that you are aware of?
Are there any apps out there to accomplish this?
Thank you!

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
when you say " downloads new content on the MacBook Pro" do you mean you download from the iTunes store and it goes into your old library? If so, you'll have to kepp copying the new media each time you reconnect. If not just save the new stuff to a folder and copy it over when you are reconnected to Drobo.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
when you say " downloads new content on the MacBook Pro" do you mean you download from the iTunes store and it goes into your old library? If so, you'll have to kepp copying the new media each time you reconnect. If not just save the new stuff to a folder and copy it over when you are reconnected to Drobo.

Yeah, that's basically it. Download from the iTunes store to what is now the, disconnected-from-the-Drobo, MacBook Pro.
The Drobo will live at home where there is no internet access. The MacBook Pro will do all the downloading at work, away from the Drobo, and then be brought back home at the end of the day with new content on it. So, this new content will have to be manually copied back over as far as I can tell.
Any experience with programs like SuperSync or Appducate? Curious if these will do the trick...

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i do something similar, but have an old Macbook pro that i use connected to a drobo, it hosts my Itunes library on the drobo, and i use home sharing on my iMac, iPad, iphone etc.

i can download titles on my iMac/ipad/iphone, and the macbook automatically grabs them as a new purchase and adds them to the library.

My suggestion would be to look at getting a cheap PC or mac mini to use in this fashion, connect it to the drobo (trust me, even USB will be ample fast enough to stream even HD movies). Leave this 2nd machine connected to your full iTunes library on the drobo, and have a smaller, local library on your laptop, connect to the full library using home sharing when you get home.

I think (and im sure someone will correct me) but i even think there is a sync library option in home sharing somewhere that will let you pull new things from the laptop to the main library on the sharing PC, but ive never used that.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
i do something similar, but have an old Macbook pro that i use connected to a drobo, it hosts my Itunes library on the drobo, and i use home sharing on my iMac, iPad, iphone etc.

i can download titles on my iMac/ipad/iphone, and the macbook automatically grabs them as a new purchase and adds them to the library.

My suggestion would be to look at getting a cheap PC or mac mini to use in this fashion, connect it to the drobo (trust me, even USB will be ample fast enough to stream even HD movies). Leave this 2nd machine connected to your full iTunes library on the drobo, and have a smaller, local library on your laptop, connect to the full library using home sharing when you get home.

I think (and im sure someone will correct me) but i even think there is a sync library option in home sharing somewhere that will let you pull new things from the laptop to the main library on the sharing PC, but ive never used that.

Interesting! I do, in fact, have another, older MBP that can be used this way. Let me investigate. Thank you for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.