Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
marcperrot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
When are we expecting next iPad/iPad mini update?

I want to get a new (cellular) iPad before I travel for a few months in late April, and I'm wondering when you think the next update will be? March/April or next fall?

I currently have an iPad 3 (Wi-Fi), but I'm considering the iPad mini for increased portability on the road. I don't need a new one right now, because my current iPad meets my needs for the time being, but I'm wondering when the next update might be to try to determine if I should pick one up now or just wait until April in the event of an update.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
__________________
MacBook Air 11" (2012) | iPhone 6 | Apple TV

Last edited by marcperrot; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typo
marcperrot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Any response to this would be pure speculation.

So, speculating, a late fall release of iPad 5/Mini 2.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 PM   #3
scupking
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
iPad 5 march and mini 2 in the fall.
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro 13"
iPad Air 2 (space gray, 64GB wifi)
scupking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:42 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Any response to this would be pure speculation.

So, speculating, a late fall release of iPad 5/Mini 2.
I think it is possible Apple could update them in late summer, in time for back to school buying, but no sooner than that.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:35 AM   #5
davideotape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I just bought the mini so probably 3 days after my return policy expires
__________________
'13 Mac Pro; '13 11"MBA; iPhone 6; iPad Mini
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:32 AM   #6
mtneer
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
I want to get a new (cellular) iPad before I travel for a few months in late April, and I'm wondering when you think the next update will be? March/April or next fall?

I currently have an iPad 3 (Wi-Fi), but I'm considering the iPad mini for increased portability on the road. I don't need a new one right now, because my current iPad meets my needs for the time being, but I'm wondering when the next update might be to try to determine if I should pick one up now or just wait until April in the event of an update.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
If you don't need an iPad mini now, why don't you wait until April to pick one up? If apple does release an update, you can pick it up. If apple does not release an update, you can walk into an apple store and pick up any model you want - supply constraints would have eased by April.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:57 AM   #7
ekrueger24
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, UK
Whereas it's anyone's guess right now, I would like to think they would wait their typical year to refresh the iPad product line. It would give those who bought this year's model and wish to upgrade again the chance to gather the money together.
ekrueger24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:35 AM   #8
iHeartsteve
macrumors 65816
 
iHeartsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Someone posted article earlier that parts for retina display won't be ready to be shipped until quarter 4 of 2013. So early fall. I would have waited for retina if update was in spring as well, but those cheap bastards are probably going to wait until late summer at the earliest.
__________________
Apple TV3 iPhone 5s iPad mini 16G LTE Retina MacBook Pro 15 Retina Display iPhone 6+ 16g | Gold
iHeartsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:34 AM   #9
marcperrot
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
If you don't need an iPad mini now, why don't you wait until April to pick one up? If apple does release an update, you can pick it up. If apple does not release an update, you can walk into an apple store and pick up any model you want - supply constraints would have eased by April.
I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, I just don't like the idea of buying near the end of a product cycle.
__________________
MacBook Air 11" (2012) | iPhone 6 | Apple TV
marcperrot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:39 AM   #10
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, I just don't like the idea of buying near the end of a product cycle.
And how do you know April, 2013, will be 'near the end of a product cycle'?
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:48 AM   #11
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Six months from now... or maybe a year from now.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
jrbd90
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
They will update the ipad in March.

They cannot go more than one year without a redesign.

The 4th gen was a spec bump (a great one though)

it's still considered an ipad 3 in the numbering system ipad 3,x

I expect the ipad 5th with same A6x but lighter, thinner.
jrbd90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
The certainty of these posts are hilarious.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020
 
Appl3FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
my speculation based on history of apple releases

ipad 5- spring/summer 2013 A6x
iphone 5s- fall A7
ipad mini 2- fall (after 5s) A6 (one processor lower than the current iphone.. i.e. iphone 5/A6.. ipad mini/A5)

ipad 6- spring/summer 2014 A7x
iphone 6- fall A8
ipad mini 3- fall (after 6) A7
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Tor Eckman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I haven't really seen this mentioned, but my guess is that Apple released the Mini and the 4 in the fall to coincide with the holiday season. Clearly ipads make excellent Christmas gifts, and clearly the buzz is strongest right after a new release. I suspect we are on a fall release schedule from now on with ipads.

If anything the phone release schedule needs to be pushed back to early summer, because phones are not traditional holiday gifts.
Tor Eckman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 PM   #16
marcperrot
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
And how do you know April, 2013, will be 'near the end of a product cycle'?
Well it's further into the cycle than it would be if I bought it now.
__________________
MacBook Air 11" (2012) | iPhone 6 | Apple TV
marcperrot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:17 PM   #17
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
Well it's further into the cycle than it would be if I bought it now.
Ah, 'nearer' the end of a product cycle versus 'near' the end of a product cycle.

The speculation posts are less specific than even Apples announcements, e.g., 'spring/summer 2013', a 6 month window. Wow, really going out on a limb with that guess. Lighter and thinner? Yah think? How does such a post help you make a decision? It doesn't. Is there some magic number of months that people need to use a device, before the next generation is available, that they won't feel 'ripped off' and start threads about it? How many 'problems' can people devise to make themselves miserable, let me count the ways.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #18
The Game 161
macrumors 601
 
The Game 161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Christmas season
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:18 PM   #19
marcperrot
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Ah, 'nearer' the end of a product cycle versus 'near' the end of a product cycle.

The speculation posts are less specific than even Apples announcements, e.g., 'spring/summer 2013', a 6 month window. Wow, really going out on a limb with that guess. Lighter and thinner? Yah think? How does such a post help you make a decision? It doesn't. Is there some magic number of months that people need to use a device, before the next generation is available, that they won't feel 'ripped off' and start threads about it? How many 'problems' can people devise to make themselves miserable, let me count the ways.
While I agree with most of what you're saying, I was simply checking to see if there was an kind of consensus as to when we should expect an update to help me in my decision-making. However, it doesn't seem like there is, so it's not something I'll be taking into consideration.
__________________
MacBook Air 11" (2012) | iPhone 6 | Apple TV
marcperrot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:22 PM   #20
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
While I agree with most of what you're saying, I was simply checking to see if there was an kind of consensus as to when we should expect an update to help me in my decision-making. However, it doesn't seem like there is, so it's not something I'll be taking into consideration.
Understood and appreciated but everyone needs to be realistic, no one on MR knows anything about Apple's product plans and a consensus of guesses that span 6 months are worthless.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
This is difficult to call.

One could argue that the iPad hasn't really been upgraded since last March, and I don't think even Apple sees it as an upgrade. If you look at the iPad internals, you see there is no 'retooling' at all. For example, take the smaller Lightning connector: there is an empty space around the Lightning connector - they simply replaced the 30-pin connector without removing all unnecessary space.

So for the 9.7" iPad, I could really see an upgrade in March - but than we have the iPad min which has only been out for less than a month now. Is March too soon? One might say yes, someone else might say no.

I don't think Apple wants a 9.7" iPad in spring and a 7.9" iPad mini in fall every year. I think they want the iPads together: so every year a new iPad mini and 9.7" iPad at the same time.

Apple can go any way: they can upgrade both the iPad mini and the 9.7" iPad this spring, or they can upgrade both the iPad mini and the 9.7" iPad after the spring (either summer or fall).

I don't think that they will split the two iPads up: I think they'll announce both a new iPad mini and a 9.7" iPad at the same time.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:57 PM   #22
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
While you might see a better display for any mini 2, it sure wont be retina. That change will most certainly impact the dynamics significantly (heavier and perhaps even a different screen size).
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:49 AM   #23
hval
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Talking

Here is my prediction re the next iPad release date and also the specification.

Apples intentions are not to synchronise product refreshes. By keeping them separate Apple are able to keep in the news. It also allows Apple to manage the big bump in sales at the release date for each product, as well as spreading customer spend over the year, increasing potential sales.

The next iPad (iPad 5) update is going to break the two yearly CPU full update and will be a Core 7 paired with an A15. The battery life shall remain the same.

Apple is currently looking at releasing the iPad 5 in four flavours of memory, 16GB, 31GB, 64GB and 128GB. They may or may not release the iPad 5 in 16GB format.; that decision shall be made at a later date.

The screen shall go to the edges of the unibody, similar to the iPhone. Edge detection (for fingers) shall be used. By taking the screen to the edges the body the physical size of the iPad shall reduce to 216mm by 165.5mm. The iPad shall also be 1mm thinner than the current iPad at 8.4mm thick.

Oh yes, despite saving on materials for the glass and the unibody the prices shall be similar.

Well? What chances of the above? Will any of the above come true?

Last edited by hval; Nov 23, 2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Biannual = two yearly
hval is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 06:44 PM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 08:52 AM
iPad Mini: When are we expecting the new iPad Mini? iSimpsons iPad 7 Jun 28, 2013 09:30 PM
iPad Mini Update to Trail Next Full-Size iPad Launch by Several Months? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 122 Jun 8, 2013 09:34 PM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 03:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC