Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Fantola
macrumors member

Question iMac - external drive to run with Final Cut

I am an movie editor, and i'm going to buy the new iMac 27" when it comes out. (been waiting 6 months now)
Does anybody know about it's possible to run your events from Final Cut Pro X from an external disc?. So its like all the events are saved onto the external disc?

-Jonas, Denmark
Fantola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantola View Post
I am an movie editor, and i'm going to buy the new iMac 27" when it comes out. (been waiting 6 months now)
Does anybody know about it's possible to run your events from Final Cut Pro X from an external disc?. So its like all the events are saved onto the external disc?

-Jonas, Denmark
I purchased a LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt enclosure from MacMall. They are expensive new but they had a refurbished one for less than $300.

I setup a software RAID-0 with the 2 drives in the enclosure and it is very fast. Disk speedtest shows ~325 MB/s read and ~375MB/s write. I would think that would be fast enough for Final Cut.

The only downside is the risk of data loss due to the RAID striping so you'll want a backup method of some sort assuming your data is important to you.

With all that said you can setup in RAID-1 (mirrored) and you'll see slower writes but should see similar read speeds. And your data will be safer.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac