Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Any thoughts, info or tips regarding a 2012 13" macbook pro with Garage Band, Logic Pro, Protools etc...please share. Switching from a 2011 Macbook Pro. DEFINITELY looking forward to no more 2.5" HDD...but is the processor up for recording on a 30 track logic file with effects?

I'm going i7 and use an mBox, for what it's worth.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Any thoughts, info or tips regarding a 2012 13" macbook pro with Garage Band, Logic Pro, Protools etc...please share. Switching from a 2011 Macbook Pro. DEFINITELY looking forward to no more 2.5" HDD...but is the processor up for recording on a 30 track logic file with effects?

I'm going i7 and use an mBox, for what it's worth.

get the 8gb upgrade. if you peg the CPU at 100% in logic just freeze some tracks.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
recently my 2008 MBA was upgraded to a 2012 MBA. LP & GB were functional on it, but were not as snappy as my PowerMac G5. GB runs excellent on my new MBA with a 128GB SSD and 4GB ram. I couldn't test LP8 as the installer didn't like the intel CPU.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Haven't run any of that stuff, but have played with serious music programs before (including notation based).

My guess is that the Air should do it okay, but definitely get the 8GB RAM option.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Ah thanks guys...definitely going with the i7 and 8GB RAM.

Anyone aware if there are any mac-compatible audio interfaces that run on USB 3.0 or thunderbolt? The possibilities, specifically with fixing latency issues, seem pretty cool.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone aware if there are any mac-compatible audio interfaces that run on USB 3.0 or thunderbolt? The possibilities, specifically with fixing latency issues, seem pretty cool.

I am using Cakewalk UA-1G on my iMac which is a USB interface and has a superior bit rate and lot of hardware options.

Main thing I got out of it is that I have SPDIF output and still have volume controls on my iMac :)

I am not sure about USB 3.0, but since the USB port is backward compatible there should not be any issues.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Got an update for us on how it worked out? I will probably be helping to set up some music stuff soon, and would like to know how it went with the Air.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.