Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternalvictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Am interested in getting the Apple TV but want to check something before I go and spend my money on something that might not be able to do what I need.

Basically the internet I have in my house is pathetically poor, i'm talking pretty much double dial up internet speeds, and there is no sign of this changing anytime soon seeing as I live right at the limit of the telephone exchange.

As such I currently have an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and use the Personal Hotspot function for my internet at home. I find this is more than adequate and lets me play online on the PS3 fine so the speed is pretty good.

What I want to know is can I use my iPhone WIFI hotspot to connect to the Apple TV rather than having to use my pretty poor wifi speeds on my home broadband?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Interesting question - I'd also wonder how Airplay (mirroring, or Airplay games) would work in that setup, would there be less latency when there's no Wifi router in the mix?

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
The ATV2 would see the iPhone as just another wireless connection.

As for airplay, couldn't one set up a wifi router and create a network without an internet connection hanging on it? Sure, one could...

eternalvictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
The ATV2 would see the iPhone as just another wireless connection.

As for airplay, couldn't one set up a wifi router and create a network without an internet connection hanging on it? Sure, one could...

You're quite right that this could be done but my issue is that I have my iMac downstairs and when I want to use the internet I turn the wifi off on the iMac and connect via my bluetooth hotspot on the iphone. Therefore if I keep doing this I have to remember to keep switching the wifi back on and disconnecting from the bluetooth hotspot.

I wish there was a way for me to have my iMac setup to only use the wifi for sending stuff to my airport express or potential apple tv purchase and still let me use the bluetooth hotspot for when i want to use the internet but I've been told this can't be done as the iMac can't have two connections at once.

Therefore if I put the Apple TV upstairs I would prefer to just connect it via wifi to the iphone and watch stuff on the apple tv through that, with me having to put the wifi back on on the imac if i want to stream anything from there.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Coming in on this post, sorry if its old.

You can use your iPhone Wifi to Airplay to AppleTV, I have done it and it works very well, much better in my experience than through the home wifi.

It responded much faster and Mirroring was perfect.

My question is though does this use up data through tethering, or is it just purely used in this case as a router?

Thanks

ajo

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Could always pick up an Airport Express to extend the network. That would solve the issue for both the iMac and AppleTV in terms of connecting to one network, then you would just need your modem (iPhone) in order to get actual internet.

Aquaduck04

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
What benefit would the airport express have? If I'm sitting right in front of the TV, why would I need the range extended? Sorry for the dense question. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.