Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I've narrowed my selection down to the following two models (Replacing a 2006 Mac Pro which doesn't support 64-bit Windows7 in Boot Camp):

Maxed-out MacBook Air: 13-inch, 2GHz i7 (boost to 3.2GHz), 512GB SSD, 8G RAM: $2199 advantages: lower cost almost pays for AppleCare, no uneeded internal optical drive, 1.5 lbs lighter, slightly thinner.

MacBook Pro: 13-inch, 2.9GHz i7 (boost to 3.6GHz), 512GB SSD, 8G RAM: $2399 advantages: dedicated audio-in port, looks a little more impressive, possibly more robust construction. With AppleCare, however, it begins to approach the cost of a new iMac w/ a big Fusion Drive. (Although Boot Camp is much more trickier!)

I occasionally do some personal video editing, and specifically enjoy recording old vintage 78-rpm records and cleaning them up with several versions of PEAK (for as long as they keep the license servers plugged in!). SSD is a must, and I always prefer using an external optical drive. I don't game, but want a nice smooth Expose transition, even if I opt to use my old 23-inch ACD with a Thunderbolt-to-DVI adapter. Do I really need a dedicated Audio-in port? Would a Griffin iMic have the same end-result audio quality?

TIA!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.