Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old May 6, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Keeping unlimited AT&T plan when moving to Android?

I've had it with the 3.5" display and am upgrading to a HTC One X. Just wondering if I can keep my unlimited plan or whether that only works when sticking with an iPhone?
macbook123 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

Shouldn't have a problem. I go back and forth all the time and I've never even had to change my data plan. If its LTE you will have more problems cause of different SIM card but you can still kepe unlimited.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Yes you can keep your unlimited data plan
b24pgg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
One X also uses a Micro-SIM, so just swap cards!
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:44 PM   #5
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Thanks All. Here's something curious: When trying to purchase the HTC phone through Amazon ($50 cheaper than through AT&T) I only get to choose between two data plans. 3 or 5 GB. Clearly I don't want to loose my unlimited plan so am wondering what I should do?
macbook123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook123 View Post
Thanks All. Here's something curious: When trying to purchase the HTC phone through Amazon ($50 cheaper than through AT&T) I only get to choose between two data plans. 3 or 5 GB. Clearly I don't want to loose my unlimited plan so am wondering what I should do?
Best to go to AT&T to buy it, that way the rep can let you uograde
Old May 7, 2012, 01:03 AM   #7
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Best to go to AT&T to buy it, that way the rep can let you uograde
OK, the unlimited plan should be worth the extra $50 over Amazon.

I heard that AT&T throttles the unlimited plans now. Does anybody have details on this?
Old May 7, 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldKoe View Post
so just swap cards!
Are you recommending I get the Amazon deal and do this? Problem is that they don't offer swapping cards as an option, only the 3 GB or 5 GB plans when placing the order.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:18 AM   #9
svenn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've had it with the 3.5" display and am upgrading to a HTC One X. Just wondering if I can keep my unlimited plan or whether that only works when sticking with an iPhone?
I'm in the same boat right now, strongly considering picking up the new htc. From my (limited) research, yes you can keep unlimited data, even ordering through amazon. You are forced to choose one of their data plans, but apparently you can call them up after ordering and they will put you back on unlimited. Seems a little sketch I know, probably why I haven't done it yet. But I have read other forums people had success so ymmv
svenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 07:56 AM   #10
aph3x
macrumors member

Quote:
I heard that AT&T throttles the unlimited plans now. Does anybody have details on this?
Here you go: http://www.att.com/esupport/datausag...Uel1160000000U
Old May 7, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Is there a reason that I'm just not seeing here on why the funk this thread is in the iPhone section it has nothing to do with apple or iPhones , wtf ,
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:50 AM   #12
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
Is there a reason that I'm just not seeing here on why the funk this thread is in the iPhone section it has nothing to do with apple or iPhones , wtf ,
It has a lot to do with Apple and iPhone because as you can see from some of the responses above my question is also in the minds of other current iPhone users. It is especially pertinent in the light of current rumors that Apple does not plan to significantly increase the display size of the iPhone (only maybe to 4 inches).
Old May 7, 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
OK, the unlimited plan should be worth the extra $50 over Amazon.

With a non LTE data plan you'll be throttled after 3gb. With an LTE plan you'll be throttled after 5gb.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aph3x View Post
Thanks. It's amazing how hideously misleading the information on that site is. It makes the unlimited plan owner feel bad about being among the 5% of users who don't use more than 3 GB of data (that's the only reason one has an unlimited plan versus a limited one, so duh!). Then it claims an advantage in switching to a restricted plan by saying that in those plans there is no throttling. But there are only 3 GB and 5 GB plans and there isn't throttling up to that speed with the unlimited plan either!

What the site doesn't mention is HOW MUCH throttling happens when one hits the 3 GB (5 GB with the LTE phone).

At least one still gets 5 GB at full speed, which is cheaper than the 5 GB limited plan.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenn View Post
I'm in the same boat right now, strongly considering picking up the new htc. From my (limited) research, yes you can keep unlimited data, even ordering through amazon. You are forced to choose one of their data plans, but apparently you can call them up after ordering and they will put you back on unlimited. Seems a little sketch I know, probably why I haven't done it yet. But I have read other forums people had success so ymmv
The big question is whether to get the Sprint version, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. It has an aluminum body (versus plastic), expandable memory, kickstand, and HD calling that the One X doesn't have. Also, Sprint offers unlimited data and 450 anytime minutes for $79.99.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:35 AM   #15
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks. It's amazing how hideously misleading the information on that site is. It makes the unlimited plan owner feel bad about being among the 5% of users who don't use more than 3 GB of data (that's the only reason one has an unlimited plan versus a limited one, so duh!). Then it claims an advantage in switching to a restricted plan by saying that in those plans there is no throttling. But there are only 3 GB and 5 GB plans and there isn't throttling up to that speed with the unlimited plan either!

What the site doesn't mention is HOW MUCH throttling happens when one hits the 3 GB (5 GB with the LTE phone).

At least one still gets 5 GB at full speed, which is cheaper than the 5 GB limited plan.

----------

The big question is whether to get the Sprint version, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. It has an aluminum body (versus plastic), expandable memory, kickstand, and HD calling that the One X doesn't have. Also, Sprint offers unlimited data and 450 anytime minutes for $79.99.

You have fun on their network. Seriously though, the majority of your contract you'll be on 3G and not 4G LTE.

Sprint gets excellent phones but has a horrible network and T-Mobile has a very promising network but horrible phones.
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #16
macbook123
macrumors 68000

I realized that there's also a $50 tax advantage with Amazon, bringing the overall price decrease to $100. So I'll try to go the Amazon route and let y'all know how it works.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Subscribed
Arnezie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Biff...
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You sure can. I moved to an HTC vivid, and kept my unlimited plan. On a side note the old school texting plans became available to me again, which are no longer offered, so I settled on the (200 messages for $5 plan).

----------

Quote:
I realized that there's also a $50 tax advantage with Amazon, bringing the overall price decrease to $100. So I'll try to go the Amazon route and let y'all know how it works.
Don't do Amazon, you will have a hell of a time trying to activate your unlimited plan, at least I did when I tried it. I finally gave up and returned the Amazon phone and bought it off of the ATT website.
Biff... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:46 PM   #19
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff... View Post
You sure can. I moved to an HTC vivid, and kept my unlimited plan. On a side note the old school texting plans became available to me again, which are no longer offered, so I settled on the (200 messages for $5 plan).

----------

Don't do Amazon, you will have a hell of a time trying to activate your unlimited plan, at least I did when I tried it. I finally gave up and returned the Amazon phone and bought it off of the ATT website.
I assumed you're correct and got it from the AT&T store. Amazing device, though it's quite a steep learning curve coming from a different OS. E.g., I have no idea how to get music and photos/videos onto it! Everything is less intuitive than iOS, but android seems less bland. The bigger and better display makes a huge difference.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:45 AM   #20
Biff...
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I assumed you're correct and got it from the AT&T store. Amazing device, though it's quite a steep learning curve coming from a different OS. E.g., I have no idea how to get music and photos/videos onto it! Everything is less intuitive than iOS, but android seems less bland. The bigger and better display makes a huge difference.

I bought it online with att. I get all my music on google play, which synced with my iTunes account. Overall the OS is easy to learn.
Biff... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:47 AM   #21
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Wow, Anandtech seems to think it's the perfect Android phone, possibly with better camera than the iPhone 4S.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5779/h...for-att-review

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices