Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi, I have been using MS Office 2011 on my mac for a while.. later I have realised, that I am able to replace powerpoint and word by Keynote and Pages (actually, they are both much better than MS alternatives), but Numbers are simply not good enough (I mean, I do not do anything complicated within MS excel, but Numbers do not know conditional formatting, have very strange work with filters), so, is there any good standalone app for spreadsheets? Ideally, downloadable via Mac App store (but this is just conditional, I can live with app not offered via mac app store). It can be paid, or free, that does not matter..

thx for any help/tips

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
What do you mean by robust here?

B

well, i was hoping for single app, I dont like idea installing whole package, while I use Pages and Keynote... hard to explain, I was hoping for sthing that would replace excel like Pixelmator replaced adobe package for me...

hatzinik

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
but Numbers do not know conditional formatting, have very strange work with filters)
thx for any help/tips

Actually, Numbers can do conditional formatting. Just open the inspector window and then choose the cells inspector. Under the label: Conditional Format, press show rules.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I also wonder given your statement about filters whether this is one of the many cases where a spreadsheet may be being used as a database, and a database may be a better tool.

B

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Yeah, I'm thinking that this is not a software issue. Maybe sign up for some classes on Numbers at an Apple Store?

Nope, its the way Numbers work, not sufficient for my needs, thats all (next thing is that Numbers are even more laggy than Excel)

----------

why not just keep Excel?:confused:

laggy... and dont like the idea that for few things I need I have to install ms garbage.. but still it looks that there is no better solution for me:(

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Actually, Numbers can do conditional formatting. Just open the inspector window and then choose the cells inspector. Under the label: Conditional Format, press show rules.

I also wonder given your statement about filters whether this is one of the many cases where a spreadsheet may be being used as a database, and a database may be a better tool.

These two posts addressed two of your specific complaints. Numbers can do conditional formatting! And, what do you mean about filters?

By the way, you must speak British, eh? Numbers have, Numbers are, etc. In American, those would be Numbers has, Numbers is since Numbers is a name, not the plural of number.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
These two posts addressed two of your specific complaints. Numbers can do conditional formatting! And, what do you mean about filters?

By the way, you must speak British, eh? Numbers have, Numbers are, etc. In American, those would be Numbers has, Numbers is since Numbers is a name, not the plural of number.

Hi, sorry but english is not my first tongue - so yes, you are right, I should have used singular as it is a name:)

As to Numbers - I had like 30 minutes to test it (as Apple is not offering trial versions within app store), after that I wrote to support that I want my money back - by filters I mean this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swCCb73FhJQ (start at 4.30 to 5.30) - combining several filters, not just one as on video

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, sorry but english is not my first tongue - so yes, you are right, I should have used singular as it is a name:)

As to Numbers - I had like 30 minutes to test it (as Apple is not offering trial versions within app store), after that I wrote to support that I want my money back - by filters I mean this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swCCb73FhJQ (start at 4.30 to 5.30) - combining several filters, not just one as on video
Filters and the ability to make the cell contents act as a hyperlink are the only reasons I stick with Excel. Numbers might have hyperlink capability, I don't know. My understanding is that MS has the filters thing patented and that is the reason no other spreadsheet app has that capability.

I have tried the Bento database app but it's cumbersome to use for my simple needs and it does not have the ability to make cell contents a hyperlink (so when you click on it, a linked pdf is opened).

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Well, not so fast! I believe that our British friends would say it the way you wrote it, and possibly look down on Americans who have "corrupted the Mother tongue". Though English is not your first language, you are very fluent! I only know a few words of foreign languages, and can't make a coherent sentence!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.