macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Quick recap for you...

Within the last few months...

- They got rid of everyone's grandfathered plans

- They increased the prices of their unlimited plans

- They made JUMP! a ripoff by changing the terms

- They're dumping all the corporate discounts. Everyone will loose theirs after 4/25

Remind me again how I'm hating again? Maybe I'm just not delusional enough to eat up TMo's marketing spin BS on this. All I'm seeing is over promising and under-delivering.

They have the lowest ARPU figure of the four big carriers and the largest churn rate. If the customers aren't low-end and volatile, what are they?

One year of positive customer adds doesn't mean that they're going to staying that way. VZW and AT&T have been adding customers quarter after quarter for years now. VZW almost matched T-Mo's net adds in Q4 2013.

Here's carrier growth over the last few months. Look who is still under 0%...

Ahh, you crack me up. I still haven't gotten a reply from you (or any of the TMo apologists) about this fact.

T-Mobile's 3G network is STILL smaller than VZW/AT&T's LTE network. Getting fast LTE speeds in some spots around the US means nothing when AT&T/VZW are delivering that nationwide. Hell, even Sprint is running a nationwide 3G network these days. T-Mobile can't even claim that they have a 100% EDGE network. There are still a decent amount of spots where blazing fast GPRS is encountered.

Remind me again about when "VZW's LTE network crapped out." I googled that exact statement and got nothing. What I distinctly remember is that their 2x10 700 network (which is still providing super fast speeds nationwide) was slowing down in top markets due to the amount of customers they have. That problem has since been FIXED.

They also have half as many customers. You really think that T-Mobile will continue to maintain these speeds? If VZW couldn't, what makes you think the beloved Uncarrier will?

More BS. T-Mobile has more than enough PCS nationwide to deploy LTE. They have a decent amount of PCS and AWS nationwide. They can free up a significant portion of their network by winding down their EDGE network.

T-Mobile can't even claim that they have reliable service in major cities. It's 2G-heaven all over major cities in the Northeast, such as Boston, NYC, Phily, Baltimore, DC, Hartford, etc.

I'm just as much of a T-Mobile subscriber as anyone here. I'm not giving them a free pass because their overrated service barely works. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's good. Some people seem to have trouble figuring that out on here. They over-promise and under-deliver.

Where's that Nationwide 4G they talk about in their commercials? How about all that LTE they say they have in Boston? I can't even drive between the most densely populated states in the US and maintain a consistent HSPA connection (RI, NJ, CT, MA, etc).
I really don't get why you are complaining about a provider that you have left.

You don't like T-Mobile? Fine, but know that the hundred of thousands of MacRumors members absolutely DO NOT CARE if you had a bad experience with T-Mobile, because T-Mobile works for many people in this country. The consumers are to make their own decision, not based on RootMetrics or some other crap.

By the way, if Sprint/T-Mobile go away, you can say bye-bye to competition and hello to even more BS prices from AT&T and Verizon.

Going back to the first comments I made about your experience:

Just because T-Mobile has horrible coverage on your street in Boston, doesn't mean they will have horrible coverage everywhere.

Seriously, what benefit does complaining about T-Mobile have towards you? You will only get 20+ notifications saying that you are a troll and that you should go away, which by the way: Did you realize why you were suspended from MacRumors?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 04:05 PM   #702
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
I was seriously considering switching to T-Mobile but with this announcement, I'll be staying with AT&T. With my FAN discount, I'm paying $69.50 a month AND I get to keep my phone subsidy.

For people who travel out of the country or use a ridiculous amount of data each month, I can see the value of going with T-Mobile.
F123D is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2014, 06:05 PM   #703
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

As a recent switcher, I'm not thrilled with the announcements over the last 2 months, but since my $30 prepaid plan is still the best deal out there for me I'm not going anywhere. T-mobile in NYC is fantastic. I have no idea why people pay $100+ for AT&T or Verizon here if you rarely leave the city (most people).
MBHockey is offline   0
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:13 AM   #704
I7guy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
As a recent switcher, I'm not thrilled with the announcements over the last 2 months, but since my $30 prepaid plan is still the best deal out there for me I'm not going anywhere. T-mobile in NYC is fantastic. I have no idea why people pay $100+ for AT&T or Verizon here if you rarely leave the city (most people).
Wha? NYC is a ghost town during the summer.
I7guy is offline   0
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:21 AM   #705
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

I don't think anyone would argue that for a heavy data user, low talker, and someone in a decent metro area, the 30/unl/unl plan is a steal. My serious problem about t-mobile's value is with their standard new plans. For $50, and with no subsidy for a phone, I can get unlimited talk and text with 1gb on the T-mobile network. I can finance a phone through t-mobile, but I could do that with any 0% apr card, so that minor benefit doesn't bear consideration.

I can get an AIO line with the same unlimited talk and text, 2.5x more data on an inarguable vastly superior at&t lte network for $45 a month, after a very simple autopay discount. And they'll help me out just as much on a new phone, which is not at all.

So unless I'm really incentivized by the ETF reimbursement and device trade-in value (which is obviously less than fair market) I struggle to see why anyone would go with Tmo.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:38 AM   #706
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsowden View Post
I can finance a phone through t-mobile, but I could do that with any 0% apr card, so that minor benefit doesn't bear consideration.
The only 0% apr cards I am aware of offer that for a limited time (generally 12-18 month past the date you opened the card. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 01:39 AM   #707
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
The only 0% apr cards I am aware of offer that for a limited time (generally 12-18 month past the date you opened the card. Am I missing something?
Are people really so price sensitive that they have $150 to spend immediately, but 18 months isn't long enough to pay down a balance, so they need 24? Apple's Barclay's card seems like it'd be even easier for someone with cashflow issues, it requires nothing down. But letting a decision like that impact your coverage and greatly diminish your data seems like a ludicrous argument.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 01:42 AM   #708
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Are people really so price sensitive that they have $150 to spend immediately, but 18 months isn't long enough to pay down a balance, so they need 24? Apple's Barclay's card seems like it'd be even easier for someone with cashflow issues, it requires nothing down. But letting a decision like that impact your coverage and greatly diminish your data seems like a ludicrous argument.
That's not at all what I am saying. To get 0% you have to sign up for a new card. It's not a permanent perk. If you want to do that every time you get a new phone (in order to say you get a 0% loan which TMO and AT&T will give you out the door)... more power to you I guess.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:30 AM   #709
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't think anyone would argue that for a heavy data user, low talker, and someone in a decent metro area, the 30/unl/unl plan is a steal. My serious problem about t-mobile's value is with their standard new plans. For $50, and with no subsidy for a phone, I can get unlimited talk and text with 1gb on the T-mobile network. I can finance a phone through t-mobile, but I could do that with any 0% apr card, so that minor benefit doesn't bear consideration.

I can get an AIO line with the same unlimited talk and text, 2.5x more data on an inarguable vastly superior at&t lte network for $45 a month, after a very simple autopay discount. And they'll help me out just as much on a new phone, which is not at all.

So unless I'm really incentivized by the ETF reimbursement and device trade-in value (which is obviously less than fair market) I struggle to see why anyone would go with Tmo.
Im with you, and switching soon as the price differential has grown to $23.

But AIO still plays data/service games blocking basic handset services like terthering.

TMo does not, use your data plan as you see fit.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:59 AM   #710
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by elthesensai View Post
And ghetto? Why? Some of their stores are the nicest I've ever been to.
If I had to guess why this term is being thrown around it's because TMO service is sold by "everyone". If you how to the "low rent" parts of town you literally see cell phone and calling card shops. They sell nothing but virgin, boost, and TMObile lines. You don't see AT&T or Verizon being sold anywhere near here. I can speak for Boston (and surrounding cities - hell I have seen TMO being sold at discount clothing and furniture shops here) and I can speak for Los Angeles County. It's probably safe to say it is the same virtually everywhere there is a lower income population.

That isn't to say TMO ONLY caters to these parts of town; that is obviously not true as there are plenty of corporate stores that do the exact opposite. But they definitely DO cater to these people much more than AT&T and Verizon (to be clear I don't find anything wrong with that - my mom raised me on her own just above the poverty level and while I am happy to be more fortunate today I won't ever forget where I came from).

Either way, the terminology is rather hurtful, sad, and unnecessary. I asked once why these two folks feel the need to keep repeating that and didn't get a response. I guess we never will.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:22 AM   #711
elthesensai
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If I had to guess why this term is being thrown around it's because TMO service is sold by "everyone". If you how to the "low rent" parts of town you literally see cell phone and calling card shops. They sell nothing but virgin, boost, and TMObile lines. You don't see AT&T or Verizon being sold anywhere near here. I can speak for Boston (and surrounding cities - hell I have seen TMO being sold at discount clothing and furniture shops here) and I can speak for Los Angeles County. It's probably safe to say it is the same virtually everywhere there is a lower income population.

That isn't to say TMO ONLY caters to these parts of town; that is obviously not true as there are plenty of corporate stores that do the exact opposite. But they definitely DO cater to these people much more than AT&T and Verizon (to be clear I don't find anything wrong with that - my mom raised me on her own just above the poverty level and while I am happy to be more fortunate today I won't ever forget where I came from).

Either way, the terminology is rather hurtful, sad, and unnecessary. I asked once why these two folks feel the need to keep repeating that and didn't get a response. I guess we never will.

If this is truly the reasoning behind the ghetto mobile name calling that would lead me to lose just a bit more faith in the human race. To be honest I don't have a lot of faith in us to begin with.
elthesensai is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:49 AM   #712
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by elthesensai View Post
If this is truly the reasoning behind the ghetto mobile name calling that would lead me to lose just a bit more faith in the human race. To be honest I don't have a lot of faith in us to begin with.
I mean what reasoning could anyone possibly give for it to be satisfactory to call a company derogatory names? It's... a company FFS.

I know "losing faith in the human race" is just a saying, a cliche if you will, but don't lose hope over something as simple as this. There is plenty of good out there, almost none of which revolves around a telco.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:53 AM   #713
elthesensai
macrumors newbie

T-Mobile is Fantastic!

Quote:
I mean what reasoning could anyone possibly give for it to be satisfactory to call a company derogatory names? It's... a company FFS.

I know "losing faith in the human race" is just a saying, a cliche if you will, but don't lose hope over something as simple as this. There is plenty of good out there, almost none of which revolves around a telco.

I'm not losing faith in us because of people calling a carrier ghetto but because a company would try to tailor to low income people as well as the middle class and having people saying hurtful things about those people. It's this elitist attitude that cause a lot of humanities problems. I'll give you that this is way off topic so I'll just shut up now.
elthesensai is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:31 AM   #714
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
This thread is sufficiently off the rails. Closing.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone