Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I am looking into getting into my first tablet, and I've always loved Apple products since they are designed so well, and iOS is so smooth and intuitive, so an iPad seems like a good choice for me.

However, my main concern is that I currently have zero investment in the Apple ecosystem (I've never owned a Mac or even an iPod). I use a lot of Google services on a daily basis (Gmail, Google Voice, Google Drive, Google Reader, and Google Maps), and I buy my media through Amazon Music and Amazon Instant Video, since their prices are much lower than iTunes when buying entire albums or TV shows. Furthermore, my cellphone provider does not currently offer the iPhone, so I have to remain on an Android phone. Now, my next laptop will be a Macbook, but this may not be for awhile, which means the iPad would be my ONLY Apple device for at least a couple of years.

Does my complete lack of current integration in the Apple ecosystem mean that I would ultimately be dissatisfied with an iPad? I know there are high-end Android tablets like the Nexus 10 that I could consider, but I really do feel like design-wise, the iPad is far superior. I'm willing to consider trying Apple services for many of the Google services I use, and I do like the app store and would have no problem paying money for good-quality apps, but I still don't think I could bring myself to buy media from iTunes, since Amazon is just so much cheaper.

Has anyone else been in a similar boat, and did you get an iPad? How did it turn out for you? :cool:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Strictly from using Andriod tablets and smartphones for a number of years, I waited till entry into Apple was a reasonable price for a tablet considering the price I paid for what I already owned. I have a Nexus 7 so I'm with you on Gapps and play store and I have a KFHD and I have Amazon Prime.

Well I am very impressed with Apple's ecosystem, like you I had nothing whatsoever. My best advice is to buy the iPad that interests you, obviously the Mini gives you least cost entry, and try it out. Best Buy gives till late January for returns and other retailers have extended their periods as well.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
also if you're worried about losing access to content, at least as far as amazon's concern, don't worry. amazon has an iOS video player, kindle app, and music player.

google i can't really speak to except i know they have a chrome app, circles app, a reader app (at least for iphone) and more.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I am looking into getting into my first tablet, and I've always loved Apple products since they are designed so well, and iOS is so smooth and intuitive, so an iPad seems like a good choice for me.

However, my main concern is that I currently have zero investment in the Apple ecosystem (I've never owned a Mac or even an iPod). I use a lot of Google services on a daily basis (Gmail, Google Voice, Google Drive, Google Reader, and Google Maps), and I buy my media through Amazon Music and Amazon Instant Video, since their prices are much lower than iTunes when buying entire albums or TV shows. Furthermore, my cellphone provider does not currently offer the iPhone, so I have to remain on an Android phone. Now, my next laptop will be a Macbook, but this may not be for awhile, which means the iPad would be my ONLY Apple device for at least a couple of years.

Does my complete lack of current integration in the Apple ecosystem mean that I would ultimately be dissatisfied with an iPad? I know there are high-end Android tablets like the Nexus 10 that I could consider, but I really do feel like design-wise, the iPad is far superior. I'm willing to consider trying Apple services for many of the Google services I use, and I do like the app store and would have no problem paying money for good-quality apps, but I still don't think I could bring myself to buy media from iTunes, since Amazon is just so much cheaper.

Has anyone else been in a similar boat, and did you get an iPad? How did it turn out for you? :cool:

Hi, I am not in the same boat but I use Google (like most people) for a few things. There are iOS apps from Google for almost everything. Gmail, Drive, Chrome, Voice (only a third party app for iPad). They work well and compliment the Apple ecosystem, if you use both.
Amazon bought music can played on iOS devices using a third party app (same for Google Play) and it works great too. Not so sure about films/TV shows bought from Amazon. I think if you use an iPad for a while you will end up shifting to or combining Apple and another service, like I do. It just enhances the iPad that you can use more than one service combo. Try downloading iTunes and searching for google/amazon and have a read of the apps description, or you can read them as web pages if you search.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

GMail: There is an app, it lets you see labels, draw, and use the phenomenal Google search. I prefer the built in Apple Mail app though. Mail synced via IMAP, Calendar synced via Exchange, and Contacts synced via CardDAV.

Google Voice: there is an official app, Talkatone is better, lets you make and receive actual VOIP calls.

I use BeeJiveIM for GTalk. There are many alternatives.

Lots of apps interface Google Reader. I use Reeder. There are many more. You'll probably find you start to shift away from manually managing RSS feeds and just go for some of the curated feeds offered by FlipBoard.

Google Drive is fantastic. Can edit docs and spreadsheets right from the app, configure shares, etc.

Google Maps is clunky and slow from Safari. Apple Maps is better for now. Go in with an open mind, it's really a good service. Most people outside of internet trolls like it better.

Amazon music DRM free. You can load into iTunes and import to iPad. I mostly use Pandora personally though. But I also use iTunes Match, and buy music from wherever and it gets matched into the Apple ecosystem.

Most people I know don't have a Mac. They have iPhone only, or iPhone and iPad, myself included, and use Google/Amazon just fine.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
There is nothing wrong with the iPad model, its build quality is superior to its counterparts, but my main deal breaker for Apple over Android is iCloud and how it syncs with my other 3 devices.
If I didn't own an Apple product right now, I personally would probably go for a Nexus 7, but thats my thoughts.
The main thing is, you can do all those things on an iPad, but also on a Nexus 7, but it doesn't mean you would be dissatisfied at all with an iPad.

Just get your hands on some I guess, see what feels best for you, its all personal preference in the long run!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Does my complete lack of current integration in the Apple ecosystem mean that I would ultimately be dissatisfied with an iPad?
No idea and it's not a universal matter for users of Google and Amazon services. Some are happy with the combo and some are not. Take one for a spin and see for yourself. Decide before your return period runs out.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012

I've been in a similar boat as you. Although I've had my iPod classic for about 5 years now (and the original for 8 years or so) - the iPad was probably my first real Apple product. My brother owns a Macbook but no iPad. I got my iPhone after I got my iPad, but was still satisfied with my iPad before that. It depends on what you're using it for, really. You'd easily be able to access and utilize a majority of the web services from Google that you listed in your post. It's also easy to integrate the Windows PC ecosystem with the iPad's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.