Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:25 AM   #26
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Is it the time? What's the difference, do you think, between momentary surveillance and ubiquitous surveillance? Is there a difference between an unmarked car sitting on your street and a drone? Or a cruiser?

Isn't it still someone watching you?
The difference is a matter of scale. With things like drones and gps trackers law enforcement has a very low-man power ability to track, record and catalog the movements of an entire population in a way that wasn't even fathomable 15-20 years ago. Well, it was fathomable but I'll skip an obvious 1984 reference (oh crap I just made one). That's the difference.

Just because technology gives law enforcement the tools to read all our email, listen to all our phone calls, track all our web surfing, follow all our movements in real life, etc., doesn't mean law enforcement should get the right to do any of those things unchecked.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:38 AM   #27
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Sure, but a drone is just taking a picture of the roof.
Yes, but not a heat signature.

Lawyers have determined that that is illegal.

iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:27 PM   #28
Peace
macrumors P6

Google cars. Google cars. Doesn't anybody remember those cars were collecting data packets from in-house WiFi spots ?

Drones can do the same thing. Except from above.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:32 PM   #29
NT1440
macrumors G3

Keep in mind that merely the perception of being watched changes human behavior.

I see the sudden rise of surveillance drones at the same time that our Industry based economy is nearing its death throws to be an interesting coincidence.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 PM   #30
SporkLover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The argument is should authorities have the right to spy on the public without warrants? Are we giving them too much power.

Why are we being treated like criminals for no reason other than "for our own protection".
Should they have the right to spy on the public without warrants? No

Should LEA be able to tap into incredilble technology that allows them to more effectively enforce laws...... Well at its current scale and with there not being any evidence of large abuses, I'm hesitant to say that they shouldn't.

I am very interested in seeing where this goes in the future and how the technology is leveraged in the future before definitively saying one way or another. At the time being there isn't any compelling evidence against it other than stating the potential for evil.

I'm glad there are watchdog agencies out there and trying to keep the government honest.

In terms of the links you provided, I'm hesitant To draw any conclusions. For one, there are very strict laws that govern how military surveillance and intelligence assets are to be employed in the US. To state it plainly it's illegal unless supporting a civil authority for Incident Awareness and Assessment (think wildfires, hurricane damage photos, etc). Military personnel at the individual level are held accountable; so they couldn't hide behind big DOD. So military drones flying don't concern me at this point. In terms of LEA... Im satisfied with their answer of drug enforcement; until some evidence of negligence or abuse comes out Im not going to raise the shields.
SporkLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:05 AM   #31
thewitt
macrumors 68000

The liberals have given the government total control. Turned over all decision making when it comes to healthcare, spending on any and all social programs, and total violation of our rights as free citizens under the Constitution.

Why would anyone in government think its wrong to "protect" the people by spying with drones?
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:28 AM   #32
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
The liberals have given the government total control. Turned over all decision making when it comes to healthcare, spending on any and all social programs, and total violation of our rights as free citizens under the Constitution.
Yes, it's all the totalitarian liberals because no conservative *cough*McCarthy*cough* has ever curtailed civil liberties *cough*W*cough* in the name of security and freedom...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues