Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
Another comment I'll add about OWC. They were EXTREMELY prompt. They said they'd ship the Envoy Pro on the week of the 31 of December, it shipped ON the 31 of December. They shipped my SSD about 4 hours after I sent them payment. I was VERY impressed with the quality of service I received from them and would highly recommend OWC going forward.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Another comment I'll add about OWC. They were EXTREMELY prompt. They said they'd ship the Envoy Pro on the week of the 31 of December, it shipped ON the 31 of December. They shipped my SSD about 4 hours after I sent them payment. I was VERY impressed with the quality of service I received from them and would highly recommend OWC going forward.

I had good service with them as well but wont ever deal with them again simply due to their LOL prices.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Only bad thing about it is you need to peel the rubber feet off the bottom to access the screws. Most users won't be taking it apart so that's not a big deal.

But you can put them back together, can't you?

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Well here is some info;

rMBP SSD is made by Samsung with a Samsung SSD Controller which has proved reliable, fast and stable. OWC uses SandForce Controllers which although good, have issues with Macs for some reason.

Hmm Orlandoech, your case must be a very rare one. In fact, OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G 240GB SSD when used for MBA has proven IOPS of 91,273 which is the best ever by any SSD.although the Samsung SM256E SSD may be faster when transferring incompressible data at high sequential levels, the OWC Aura Pro beats every other performance comparison thrown at it.

Mighty Anderson

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
SandForce controllers have issues no matter the computer they are installed in....

Also, rMBP's are now coming with a version of the SanDisk Ultra Plus with the Marvell controller. I've seen a few in customer rMBP's...

yea I agree with you sandforce based drives had a reputation of BSODs, Bugs, etc. But today bugs are non-existent. sandforce controllers doing good with many OEM's like intel, sandisk, etc

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

We were talking about the OWC Envoy enclosure, it has rubber feet over the screws on the bottom. OWC sells replacements.

DM4yg9v.jpg

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
We were talking about the OWC Envoy enclosure, it has rubber feet over the screws on the bottom. OWC sells replacements.

Aaah.
How you mean most user wont be taking it apart? Why would you buy it if not to house your old SSD?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Aaah.
How you mean most user wont be taking it apart? Why would you buy it if not to house your old SSD?

You'll assemble it to put your SSD in there but you're right most people won't take it apart after that. If you have another SSD or you use it to copy data from another SSD for a friend or something, you will have to take it apart though.

skriefal

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Utah, USA
I'm wondering if someone will come out with an adapter to fit a regular SSD (maybe with the case removed) in the SSD location in the 13" rMPB

What about an mSATA SSD + adapter board? Could that fit in the space of the current proprietary SSD? Would have to wait a bit for > 256GB mSATA SSDs to be available, of course, but that'll probably happen this year.

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Well here is some info;

rMBP SSD is made by Samsung with a Samsung SSD Controller which has proved reliable, fast and stable. OWC uses SandForce Controllers which although good, have issues with Macs for some reason.

Hmm Orlandoech, your case must be a very rare one. In fact, OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G 240GB SSD when used for MBA has proven IOPS of 91,273 which is the best ever by any SSD.although the Samsung SM256E SSD may be faster when transferring incompressible data at high sequential levels, the OWC Aura Pro beats every other performance comparison thrown at it.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
What about an mSATA SSD + adapter board? Could that fit in the space of the current proprietary SSD? Would have to wait a bit for > 256GB mSATA SSDs to be available, of course, but that'll probably happen this year.

Mushkin has a 480GB mSATA SSD

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Nice to read from your own experience!, now we have our first happy user :cool:, the good thing about OWC upgrade is the toolbox, the case for the remaining SSD and the 3-year warranty.

I used OWC for my MB Air...worked great. Now have a rMBP, put the OWC ssd in their sleek case and its a great (and small) protable drive.

I think many comments here are not based on having owned an OWC Blade.

----------

I had good service with them as well but wont ever deal with them again simply due to their LOL prices.
How silly, where else can you get the drives cheaper?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.