Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SupaLawlCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
Hi. My dad's iMac has been running really slow lately, and he asked me if I knew what was wrong since I am fairly tech-savvy.

Unfortunately I pretty much only know about PCs, and hardware in general. (I build gaming PCs and stuff, but have very little experience with OSX.)

Anyway, I don't really know what is going on. A 2.5 GHz i5 combined with 4GB of DDR3 should be able to handle OSX.

From what I can tell from the "Activity Monitor" it may be the RAM, though I am not that familiar with how OSX allocates memory and swap-space and whatnot. During regular use there is only between 10MB and 300MB free and about 500MB on the swap. In Windows that would be terrible, but as I said, I don't really know how OSX handles memory.

There aren't a bunch of programs open simultaneously. All that is open most of the time is Safari, Mail and iTunes.

If I were to upgrade the RAM, would something like this do?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145280

Based on the specifications it should. (DDR3 10600 1333MHz.)

I've seen some sticks that say they work for sure with iMacs, but they are all ridiculously overpriced. I saw one 4GB stick for $70. The 16GB of DDR3 1866 in my computer only cost a little more than that.

Thanks,

SupaLawlCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
That iMac will have 4 RAM slots, so you can upgrade to 8GB by adding another 2 x 2GB SO-DIMMs. A lot of people will have these lying around after upgrading their 2011 machines so you should be able to pick up a pair cheap.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4621

According to that the RAM I linked will work.

There isn't anything unusual in the activity monitor. Something along the lines of "kernel_task" or something is using up the most, and even that is only 500MB with like "1.5" on the CPU. (Is that a percent?)

So is the RAM the problem?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
According to that the RAM I linked will work.

There isn't anything unusual in the activity monitor. Something along the lines of "kernel_task" or something is using up the most, and even that is only 500MB with like "1.5" on the CPU. (Is that a percent?)

So is the RAM the problem?

Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor with ALL processes, CPU processes on top.

To make a screenshot hold Command-Shift-4 then hit the SpaceBar and click on the window, attach here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.