Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:29 AM   #1
radixi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
OpenCL performance in Mavericks with Intel graphics?

Mavericks brings OpenCL support to Intel HD 4000 and 5000. Has anyone with such GPU tried Final Cut Pro X or other OpenCL compatible apps or benchmarks? Is there an increase in performance? It would be cool if Mavericks made MacBook Airs and 13 inch Pros better for video editing.
radixi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
radixi
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
No one has tried OpenCL with Intel GPUs?

According to Anandtech Intel GPUs (even HD 4000) should be quite good at OpenCL: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/i...50hq-tested/17
radixi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:20 AM   #3
wizard
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by radixi View Post
Mavericks brings OpenCL support to Intel HD 4000 and 5000.
Actually I was looking for verification that this was true.
Quote:
Has anyone with such GPU tried Final Cut Pro X or other OpenCL compatible apps or benchmarks? Is there an increase in performance?
Obviously I haven't. However wouldn't software require an update to make use of the Intel OpenCL resources?
Quote:
It would be cool if Mavericks made MacBook Airs and 13 inch Pros better for video editing.
Well better is relative. I've actually have held off buying hardware waiting to see what when and how OpenCL comes to Intel on Apples Mac OS/X. Without such support I might as well save dollars for a discrete GPU based machine.

It is interesting though that Intel is doing so well with compute. Of course you really can't trust the site linked to so we have to wait for real world results.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
radixi
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Actually I was looking for verification that this was true.
It is confirmed in the WWDC 2013 session called Working with OpenCL. Unfortunately it cannot be viewed on Apple's site without being a developer, but you can find it with Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Obviously I haven't. However wouldn't software require an update to make use of the Intel OpenCL resources?
I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Well better is relative. I've actually have held off buying hardware waiting to see what when and how OpenCL comes to Intel on Apples Mac OS/X. Without such support I might as well save dollars for a discrete GPU based machine.

It is interesting though that Intel is doing so well with compute. Of course you really can't trust the site linked to so we have to wait for real world results.
In the WWDC session it is shown that with integrated GPU the data transfer times from host to OpenCL device and back are faster than with discrete GPU. On the other hand discrete GPU is faster at computing. This faster transfer time probably makes Intel integrated GPUs good at OpenCL.
radixi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5
neuronin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Which benchmark are you all looking at?

I just downloaded luxmark.
I have a macbook air with intel hd 5000 with mavericks.
neuronin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #6
neuronin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hi all,

Not done in any scientific way but here are the results running luxmark:
Complex - gpu only - 75
Complex - cpu + gpu - 153
Medium - gpu only - 255
Medium - cpu + gpu - 352
Simple - gpu only - 1960
Simple - cpu + gpu - 2251

How do these compare to a retina macbook pro (last generation) with discrete graphics?
neuronin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very bad graphics performance on Mac Mini mid 2007 with OS X Mavericks MacOSdennis Mac mini 3 Mar 16, 2014 09:30 AM
Woo! OpenCL, Mavericks, and Macs with Intel Graphics (like my Air)! seek3r MacBook Air 1 Oct 26, 2013 01:39 AM
Graphics Performance Hit with Every Iteration of Mavericks Prodo123 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 7 Aug 29, 2013 03:06 AM
Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch & Intel HD Graphics Performance tomatoketchup MacBook Pro 5 Jun 15, 2012 12:20 PM
Intel HD 4000 Mobile Graphics Performance ssn637 MacBook Pro 6 Jun 13, 2012 12:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC