Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
It usually takes about a month or so before newly released Mac is available in China, it's not really that bad as some people state it to be......

Just relax OP and wait for it to available, or as the other guys already point out, you could just buy one in HK for a very cheap price(20% lower than in China I think).

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
A month? I can't wait that long :D Still asking my dad to check tomorrow at HK.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Most of the retail stores stock all of the various MBA models, so its not an issue to get a 8GB ram version if you like.

Again, just get your dad to walk in a buy in person, give him the model number you want.

He is going to check tomorrow, and just to be sure, the retail stores stock i5/8gb/256?

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
He is going to check tomorrow, and just to be sure, the retail stores stock i5/8gb/256?

Yes, I am quite sure at least 1 of the 3 stores would have stock, you can always call in advance.

Another option is Studio A, which is a big Apple Premium Reseller in Hong Kong.

I have in the past been able to get stock at Studio A easier than anywhere else, they also match Apple's price and in some cases may even offer a discount over the Apple store retail price.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I think I'm going to have my dad check the one in the IFC mall, it would be the closest to where he works.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
I think I'm going to have my dad check the one in the IFC mall, it would be the closest to where he works.

IFC Mall store didn't have any stock (I checked about 2 hours ago), but Studio A store in Causeway Bay has stock of what you needed.

I suggest your dad call ahead first to make sure the store he is visiting has stock.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I don't go to HK much, is Causeway Bay near IFC mall? Also, do the airport resellers have any in stock?

EDIT: Checked Google Maps, the two are 9 min apart. Great! Also, just found out that my dad is going for an additional three days :) More than enough time.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Just have him take it out of the box and remove the wrapping so it looks used else China's customs may want a piece of the action.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Not at all happy right now. My dad is visiting Studio A today (He was in Shenzhen yesterday), but by the time he comes back - tomorrow - I'll already be at camp. :mad::(:eek:

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Writing from camp here - Dad just confirmed that he bought the 13.3 in i5/8gb model. So happy, but I'll have to wait till the 14th to actually see it :(

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I am typing from my 13.3 inch 8gb/256 MBA right now. Coming from a 2010 MBP, these speeds are truly amazing. Out of the box, I had 88% - it's showing an unbelievable 8:49. Despite one of the four corners being a teeny bit wobbly, I am very satisfied. I am now checking the SSD and Screen manufacturer!

Martylaa

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Durham
Hi Larry did your dad just go into the store and buy a us or uk specced model with the 8gb option?
Reason I ask is I am king to work in China flying in and out of Hong Kong and if they are UK spec models with the 8 GB in the store I would get it from there as it would be cheaper for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.