Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:32 PM   #51
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by atteligibility View Post
Blaming the customers for the stock price, very classy...
Since you partly own this company, you may want to address its customers with more sensitivity.
Sorry, I don't own enough to care about his whining. As a person with dignity and self respect, I find it despicable all the greed on this forum.

Last edited by bflowers; Dec 13, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
bflowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:35 PM   #52
VAvW
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
despicable
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Kq8F8...F8PeDBOU&gl=NL
__________________
Desktop computer | Laptop computer | Tablet | Phone | Small black device attached to television
VAvW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:53 PM   #53
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
let the dot-gate begin!
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:12 PM   #54
CoreyLahey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
Sorry, I don't own enough to care about his whining. As a person with dignity and self respect, I find it despicable all the greed on this forum.
Now. I get being ...... off by people fishing for freebies from Apple, just to sell them on eBay, but this my friend, is just too many things : )
CoreyLahey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:24 PM   #55
eldho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I think the real issue might be one of perception. After all, there is a far greater black mark near there being the apple symbol.

If you were able to think of that mark as being symbolic such as it being a planet in orbit around the universe of APPLE you might be able to see this mark as a virtue rather than as a problem.
eldho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 PM   #56
atteligibility
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
I find it despicable all the greed on this forum.
Yet you have no problem owning a stock of a company that charges $600+ for 32Gb of RAM... you're ridiculous
atteligibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:12 AM   #57
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by atteligibility View Post
Yet you have no problem owning a stock of a company that charges $600+ for 32Gb of RAM... you're ridiculous
No, owning stock is simply investment. As I purchased a small number of Apple shares before the iPhone was released, near $100 a share, and as of close today, was $529.69, with a peak of $700 earlier this year, I consider it a good investment. It just happens that I also prefer their products.

What Apple charges for their products is up to them. I suspect that they have teams of people that work out how much to charge, and what people are willing to pay for it. There was a nice lady named Marsha here on the forums that felt that $600 was worth it to her for the 32GB of RAM, because she didn't want to mess with finding the right kind and installing it. I'm sure there are plenty of people just like her. Not everyone wants to mess with the hardware, they just want it to work. Apple wouldn't set the prices that high if a significant number of people didn't pay for it. After all, they want to make money. They want to sell hardware.

You are trying to equate owning stock in a multinational corporation that is very profitable to people calling in asking for freebies because they feel entitled. Entitlement is the cancer of our modern day society.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:17 AM   #58
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Buy a silver Sharpie for 99 cents and just blot it out. I agree that it should be perfect, but it's not worth the hassle of waiting for a replacement to me.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 AM   #59
atteligibility
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
No, owning stock is simply investment. As I purchased a small number of Apple shares before the iPhone was released, near $100 a share, and as of close today, was $529.69, with a peak of $700 earlier this year, I consider it a good investment. It just happens that I also prefer their products.

What Apple charges for their products is up to them. I suspect that they have teams of people that work out how much to charge, and what people are willing to pay for it. There was a nice lady named Marsha here on the forums that felt that $600 was worth it to her for the 32GB of RAM, because she didn't want to mess with finding the right kind and installing it. I'm sure there are plenty of people just like her. Not everyone wants to mess with the hardware, they just want it to work. Apple wouldn't set the prices that high if a significant number of people didn't pay for it. After all, they want to make money. They want to sell hardware.

You are trying to equate owning stock in a multinational corporation that is very profitable to people calling in asking for freebies because they feel entitled. Entitlement is the cancer of our modern day society.
- Owning a stock is owning part of that business. By definition. It's not up to discussion. If you disagree with the company policy to give out freebies, take it with your board. Going after the customers of that business is just not appropriate.
- Why mentioning the $700 peak? If you still own the stock at $529 when it once was at $700, it must hurt a little, no?
- You say "What Apple charges for their products is up to them", and blablabla, so can't we just apply that to "What Apple decides to give away to its customers is up to them?" Why do you feel you suddenly have to intervene
- You say "You are trying to equate owning stock in a multinational corporation that is very profitable to people calling in asking for freebies because they feel entitled" Why don't you just quote what I say and reply to that instead of guessing what I am "trying" to do. Again, it's just striking that some of you guys feel so emotional about some customers trying to get a free mouse, yet don't see a problem for a company to try their luck with a few outrageously priced upgrades.
- "Entitlement is the cancer of our modern day society." I love this kind of statement... (sigh)
atteligibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:43 AM   #60
crovali
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
bflowers,

I'm not going to lie and say that this purchase was a small one. Some of my friends think I am crazy for shelling out close to $3k for a computer. Apple takes pride in its meticulous product design and skills in engineering so I have come to think very highly of their products. This being my first apple computer, I wanted it to be perfect and for such a high price, satisfaction should be guaranteed. I'm not some spoiled rich kid that's angry about a broken computer mommy and daddy bought me, I simply want the computer that I paid for with my hard earned money. I am a young adult going to school and working, too hard at times, trying to support myself. I'm not made of money either so if I could get a discount on a defect in the appearance of the iMac that Apple says is the most beautiful computer they've ever released to date, I'm sure as hell going to take it. Thank you for your opinion on the matter. Have a wonderful day.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Since your the first person I've saw comment on the screen...how's the backlight bleed? Is it ok and mostly uniform black?
This being my first iMac, I have nothing to compare the screen to. The last computer I owned was a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop. That screen was crap compared to this. I see no yellowing, but the blacks seem relatively even. It does seem the blackest in the center of the screen with the corners slightly brighter, but I don't think it's bad. I'll make further inspections in the morning.
crovali is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:57 AM   #61
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
The drama!
Just return it because its clearly ruined your computing experience.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:04 AM   #62
mihai.ile
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
While on the other thread I would do the same as the OP did, ask for a small refund, for this problem I would just return the unit. At least for me buying an iMac is not only because of components/work it can do but it is also a piece of design and because of that I would not accept that thing in front of me every day. I mean try to fix it yourself and think of the resale value of that.... And you can not compare this to cars, a car is supposed to get things like that when driving on the road so it would be perfectly acceptable to live with it or doing a fix to make it less noticeable. For an iMac, for this specific issue, I would return it.
mihai.ile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:22 AM   #63
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The drama!
Just return it because its clearly ruined your computing experience.
actually it will be very distracting each time he uses the computer. it is high contrast. If he is doing any kind of design work this will mess with him
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:26 AM   #64
memory-minus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
I'm amazed at the vanity if people would return a computer because of *that*.. Oh well..
For someone who has been on this forum as long as you have, I'm amazed you're amazed.
memory-minus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:27 AM   #65
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crovali View Post
bflowers,

I'm not going to lie and say that this purchase was a small one. Some of my friends think I am crazy for shelling out close to $3k for a computer. Apple takes pride in its meticulous product design and skills in engineering so I have come to think very highly of their products. This being my first apple computer, I wanted it to be perfect and for such a high price, satisfaction should be guaranteed. I'm not some spoiled rich kid that's angry about a broken computer mommy and daddy bought me, I simply want the computer that I paid for with my hard earned money. I am a young adult going to school and working, too hard at times, trying to support myself. I'm not made of money either so if I could get a discount on a defect in the appearance of the iMac that Apple says is the most beautiful computer they've ever released to date, I'm sure as hell going to take it. Thank you for your opinion on the matter. Have a wonderful day.

----------



This being my first iMac, I have nothing to compare the screen to. The last computer I owned was a 2007 Dell Inspiron laptop. That screen was crap compared to this. I see no yellowing, but the blacks seem relatively even. It does seem the blackest in the center of the screen with the corners slightly brighter, but I don't think it's bad. I'll make further inspections in the morning.
I'll have mine Monday and do further tests. Thanks for the input good to hear.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:30 AM   #66
ashleypenny
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by memory-minus View Post
For someone who has been on this forum as long as you have, I'm amazed you're amazed.
I wouldnt even call it vanity. People want to be happy with their purchase after spending a significant chunk of money on that and people shouldnt be chastised for wanting to be happy with their purchase. Likewise when he comes to sell he will have to say 'small blemish on the front' and people will then be cute and make offers of less because it has a mark on it. Its truly up to the OP if they can live with it or not.
ashleypenny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:44 AM   #67
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000
 
Confuzzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
What is a blemish for one man, is an enhancement for another
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beautyspot.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	383518  
Confuzzzed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:17 AM   #68
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
actually it will be very distracting each time he uses the computer. it is high contrast. If he is doing any kind of design work this will mess with him
I had to go back and look at the pic. This is not on the display as far as I know. It is on the bezel and therefore, I cannot simply understand how this could affect his ability to do design work. I said that I didn't know if he was serious but to take it back. It will be a nice machine in the refurb store for a lucky buyer.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #69
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I had to go back and look at the pic. This is not on the display as far as I know. It is on the bezel and therefore, I cannot simply understand how this could affect his ability to do design work. I said that I didn't know if he was serious but to take it back. It will be a nice machine in the refurb store for a lucky buyer.
bezel or display. It is still on the front plane of the machine and his eye will be drawn to that high point of contrast and detail. I study art and I know how composition works so he will be annoyed my this constantly unless he manages to get it the same value as the aluminium or close enough.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:12 PM   #70
ForceGhost
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
I wouldn't ask for, or accept a discount.
__________________
[ 27" Imac | 20" Imac | iPhone 4| 15" Retina MacBook Pro]
MacRumors Picture Section Addict
Professional Game Developer
ForceGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:26 PM   #71
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceGhost View Post
Simply a matter of principle. In this instance, there is nothing structurally wrong with the machine. If it came dented, that would be different. I had a washer delivered once, that had a severe dent to the outer sheet metal. I wasn't home when it was delivered, my Father was here for that appointment. They automatically gave a ten percent discount, which he didn't ask for, nor argue. As it was slightly bigger (1/3 of the front was pushed in about an inch) than the OP's 1mm diameter dot, I didn't argue. They would have discounted it even more as a damaged product.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:37 PM   #72
RichiMac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Hey, one of the majors reasons most of us are buying this computer is aesthetics...i.e. it looks good! That dot would bug me too and you better believe I will call them if mine shows up like that. I am paying a premium for the looks of this thing, so I expect Apple to deliver.

Having said that...if they offer me $150 as compensation, I might...might (but not sure yet) decide to take it and every time I looked at the dot I might smile at the extra "discount" I got.

But probably it would bug me too much, so I would return it. You have a right to get what you paid for...period!
__________________
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4X8GB, 3TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GTX 680MX, MAGIC TRACKPAD
RichiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:07 PM   #73
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
It could be an e-melanoma in which case, it's very serious.

Seriously, if it bothers you enough to want to try to exchange it, then do so. iMacs aren't cheap, and, as a couple other people have pointed out, some of what you're paying for with an Apple computer is design aesthetics. Personally, I could live with the dot (it looks like a small moon orbiting Planet Apple), but I had an iBook years ago with a stuck pixel, and it bothered me for a long time before I finally got used to it.
Ubele is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone "black screen of death" sarahmy3rs iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Sep 26, 2013 08:36 AM
Is this normal on the iMac 27" small dot on bottom left and right corner bobright iMac 34 Dec 16, 2012 06:38 PM
Got new iMac today; already have "death circle" ihatephish iMac 9 Dec 13, 2012 12:55 AM
iPhone 5 black/brown dot on screen malias4 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Nov 19, 2012 03:22 AM
Sudden Death of 2008 24" iMac aubreyf iMac 11 Nov 12, 2012 06:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC