Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I get?

• An iMac

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • A Windows 8 AIO

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing, stick with the iPad

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
"She also has bad eyesight and does not like touch."

Is there any way you can get your mom into an Apple store so that she can view the screen on the new iMacs?

She may find the pixel size is so small, that text will be difficult for her to read.

If this is the case, I can suggest an alternative.
That would be the Mac Mini, coupled to a "medium resolution" monitor such as the Dell S2740L. This is a 27" monitor, but it has the resolution of a standard 24" monitor. What this means is the pixels are larger (.311" on the Dell, as opposed to .230 [approximately] on the iMac display).

This may not sound like much, but the larger pixels will make "readability" at normal resolution MUCH easier for someone who is visually impaired. The med-rez screen may look "grainy" to you, but it will look GOOD to her.

Just something to think about.

Might also want to look at the Accessibility options on the mac.
Theres also a very good siri equivalent that lets you use voice commands to do quick and easy tasks.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
My Parents, old and retired, over the years I tried many times to teach Windows and then to teach Mac OSx when I moved over myself. But it was a hopeless battle. Explaining basic principles over computing is the challenge.

The day that I realize that this has happened to me I will give permission to the state to cull me as and when they see fit. If I can't learn even for the most basic of tasks then I don't see how I am going to be able to survive in the modern world. Work until the grave I say. I have seen what happen's to people when they give up work, it is a very steep slope.

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
My parents recently replaced their computer.

They did not want to spend the money to get an iMac....however they were absolutely horrified by Windows 8.

One of sales staff in a shop they visited indicated that many retired people were struggling with the substantial leap (often from windows XP or Vista) to Windows 8.

They ended up buying an end of line Windows 7 computer.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
i recently converted my grandmother over to mac who is 90 last week...shes awesome...i personally thnk osx is a million times easier...sounds stupid but i bought her the mac for dummies book and had her read it from the very beginning, and now she does everything on there...they start you off from pure beginner stage from how to actually turn your mac on...so my advice to you is yes, show them yourself but also get them the book or any book like it and have them read themselves...its alot less frustrating than just pushing buttons to find out what does what, thats what will drive them insane

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I too am a MAC noob and am also thinking about getting one for my parents. I though with remote desktop I can assist as necssary and for the things they do (email, web, facetime with grand kids), OSX just does it better.

Being a noob - can you help me understand your comment above? If closing apps with the red x minimizes them to the dock, how do I actually close them? I realize that if it minimizes to the right side of the dock near the trash can, it is still open.

well the yellow one is minimize. the red one is closing a window and not the application. Think of it like tabs in an internet browser. Close 1 tab doesn't close the whole browser. OS X applications use this kind of tab concept with their applications.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
The day that I realize that this has happened to me I will give permission to the state to cull me as and when they see fit. If I can't learn even for the most basic of tasks then I don't see how I am going to be able to survive in the modern world. Work until the grave I say. I have seen what happen's to people when they give up work, it is a very steep slope.

that day will come without warning, like when your kids all of a sudden think your no longer cool.....

jeutie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
i recently converted my grandmother over to mac who is 90 last week...shes awesome...i personally thnk osx is a million times easier...sounds stupid but i bought her the mac for dummies book and had her read it from the very beginning, and now she does everything on there...they start you off from pure beginner stage from how to actually turn your mac on...so my advice to you is yes, show them yourself but also get them the book or any book like it and have them read themselves...its alot less frustrating than just pushing buttons to find out what does what, thats what will drive them insane
Buying a book. That would be a worthy try. Thanks for the suggestion!
that day will come without warning, like when your kids all of a sudden think your no longer cool.....
The horror! :eek:

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I have been playing around with Win 8 for a little while. I think the learning curve is pretty steep if you want to do anything beyond checking email, FaceBook, and surfing the internet. I would rather teach people how to use OS X than Win 8 any day.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Buying a book. That would be a worthy try. Thanks for the suggestion!

The horror! :eek:
anytime... i would just suggest the mac for dummies book because its so user friendly, so you can tell your parents if bill grandma whos 90 learned with that book then theres no excuse lol...good luck

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
Been using both Windows for 18 years (including Windows 8) and also use OS X.

OS X is MUCH easier to use for a novice than the new Windows OS 8.

Windows 8 is a revamp and not a true desktop OS. It has two sides to it.

Anyway, if youre coming from a Windows environment, you will HATE Windows 8.

IF you've never used a computer before, Windows 8 may be a little confusing and bloated with Microsoft products.

Overall, the OS X is much more user friendly.

Since BOTH machines can be purchased with a buy, use and return policy within 14 days, have them try both systems out. I guarantee they will want to return the Windows machine and keep the Mac. Just make sure you yourself know enough about operating both OS's before providing impartial guidance and tutorial on each of their usage.

Most will clearly see that Windows over-complicates the experience.

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
jeutie,

I just found this thread and I just went through the same situation before X-mas with my grandparents who I taught years ago to use Windows XP, Vista and Win7. With their PC being 6 years old and the power supply finally dieing out, I had to make the same call. My issue was complicated in that my grandparents live across the US from me so something the new system had to be solid, had a good warranty and was simple to use / maintain.

The issues of Windows 8 and OSX came up and I had them head over to Best Buy to try out both systems. I had them try OSX without gestures (using the magic mouse) as this kept some familiarity for them. Needless to say they liked the simplicity of OSX better than Windows 8 tiles. so, I ordered them a 2012 i7 Mac Mini + a ASUS PA248Q display, had it shipped to me. I walked them through pulling out the old HDD from their PC and sending it to me. I transferred their data, setup their apps and shipped it to them for X-Mas. Secondly, I had them pickup one of those Visual OSX books that walks them through every scenario just in case they got stuck.

Needless to say it was the best call, they love it and have had no issues Skyping, Emailing, iTunes, Surfing, Printing and doing all the other things they like doing online. They only ran into one issue with learning the App Store and I just remote controlled into their box and walked them through it.

Like another poster stated the Mac Mini + a Monitor might be a good option and help keep the cost in check if that is a factor.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Other than wanting a new Mac, do they have any real need? If the iPad, being very easy to use, is adequate for their needs then don't waste money getting an iMac.

I agree. Get a second iPad (so they each have their own) and an Airprint printer.

jeutie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
OS X is MUCH easier to use for a novice than the new Windows OS 8. Overall, the OS X is much more user friendly. Most will clearly see that Windows over-complicates the experience.
That is certainly true. :) Thanks for your input.
jeutie,

I just found this thread and I just went through the same situation before X-mas with my grandparents who I taught years ago to use Windows XP, Vista and Win7. With their PC being 6 years old and the power supply finally dieing out, I had to make the same call. My issue was complicated in that my grandparents live across the US from me so something the new system had to be solid, had a good warranty and was simple to use / maintain.

The issues of Windows 8 and OSX came up and I had them head over to Best Buy to try out both systems. I had them try OSX without gestures (using the magic mouse) as this kept some familiarity for them. Needless to say they liked the simplicity of OSX better than Windows 8 tiles. so, I ordered them a 2012 i7 Mac Mini + a ASUS PA248Q display, had it shipped to me. I walked them through pulling out the old HDD from their PC and sending it to me. I transferred their data, setup their apps and shipped it to them for X-Mas. Secondly, I had them pickup one of those Visual OSX books that walks them through every scenario just in case they got stuck.

Needless to say it was the best call, they love it and have had no issues Skyping, Emailing, iTunes, Surfing, Printing and doing all the other things they like doing online. They only ran into one issue with learning the App Store and I just remote controlled into their box and walked them through it.

Like another poster stated the Mac Mini + a Monitor might be a good option and help keep the cost in check if that is a factor.
Thank you for your story. That's what I am looking for. :) Guess that if they do not manage with only the iPad, I'll get them a Mac Mini and a nice monitor.
I agree. Get a second iPad (so they each have their own) and an Airprint printer.
Getting a second iPad would be quite a waste, cause it wouldn't be used a lot if at all. The Airprint Printer is great though. I've set them up with one a while ago and they're very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.