Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok so I have several Sandisk memory cards that I use in my DSLRs, Camcorders, etc. I never use anything below class 6 and if I can I almost certainly use class 10's. One thing I don't understand is the difference between their designations: "Extreme", "Ultra", and "Extreme Pro". Now I know the Extreme Pro's are for ultra high bit rate applications, it can handle 95MB/s, but with the Ultra vs Extreme, I don't understand the difference. The bit rates of an Extreme and an Ultra often over lap...I took a picture of some of the Sandisk SD cards I use daily but these aren't all of them. I have another 16GB ultra laying around plus another 16GB Extreme (I work with video pretty heavily and often have to use my own cards with other peoples equipment).

Lastly is the symbol with the 1 inside the U meaning its UHS-1? Just making sure, I ordered a Canon EOS 6D recently [taking a bit to get here :mad:] and I want to make sure using All-I compression over the inferior IPB compression is a cake walk....I checked Sandisk's website and they did have some comparisons but it wasn't very well explained, well at least in my mind. If someone could clear this up for me I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Side note: I noticed my Canon 550D sort of runs out of buffer fast with my Extreme Pro even though its rated for 95MB/s...in magic lantern I can't go past 1.3x bit rate while I can go to 1.5x with my Ultra's...no big deal I guess..

Attachments

• Sandisk_SD-card_comparison.jpg
    Sandisk_SD-card_comparison.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 232

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
The only difference in the labels AFAIK is that when you use sandisk's card readers you get really good transfer rates. Other than that... I dunno. I use patriot and transend.

grizfan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Boise, ID
I think this has more to do with when each card was made. Those Ultra and Extreme labels are relative to what is the fastest speed available at manufacture date. Today's ultra-fast card is tomorrow's mid-range card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.