Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whiteboxamir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
So I'm taking my new macbook air to the shop and the seller is probably going to replace it with a new one (camera isn't working).

My question is migration. They'll take the one and give me another, without my being able to use migration assistant.

Will time machine via an external drive be able to do the same thing? I'd like to avoid having to do all of the downloading, setting up, etc, that I just did a few days ago. Anyway to save me from this without migration assistant? e.g. files, applications (particular MS office since I only have 1 license), touchpad settings, etc.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
I just use carbon copy cloner and make an exact copy of the SDD and use that for the new drive.

Be sure to see the old drive reformatted to do away with an]ll your personal information,

whiteboxamir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
Didn't even know what an SSD was until you mentioned it (says the fairly new mac user).

Thanks for referring me to Carbon Copy Cloner. Downloading it now.

How do I format the old drive? :confused:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Didn't even know what an SSD was until you mentioned it (says the fairly new mac user).

Thanks for referring me to Carbon Copy Cloner. Downloading it now.

If it is a new MacBook Air it will have Recovery Mode. Reboot and hold down Command-R. It will boot into a special recovery mode. From there you can go into Disk Utility and reformat the drive (and reinstall OS X if you want).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

You don't have to reboot.

Just go into DISK UTILITY, in there you will be able to partition and format the externally attached backup drive, or flash dongle.

CC (and cousins) are highly recommended to use beyond your current need. With an "image" you can make the machine to "go back" to a known state. Often time one download somethings, make some changes, upgrade to a new OS version you don't like, and now how do you EASILY undo? Answer: Carbon Copy.

Spend some time learning what the App can do, and how u recover when needed.

whiteboxamir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
You guys are amazingly responsive and generous with your help.

Just ran the first standard (just followed the recommended flow of the software) CC, but it couldn't create a copy of the recovery partition. I have the sense that I wouldn't need this, though?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You guys are amazingly responsive and generous with your help.

Just ran the first standard (just followed the recommended flow of the software) CC, but it couldn't create a copy of the recovery partition. I have the sense that I wouldn't need this, though?

No. The new MacBook Air you get will have its own recovery partition. Plus, even if the recovery partition is missing from a Mac, you can still use Internet Recovery using the same command-R method, as long as you have wi-fi.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I'm taking my new macbook air to the shop and the seller is probably going to replace it with a new one (camera isn't working).

My question is migration. They'll take the one and give me another, without my being able to use migration assistant.

Will time machine via an external drive be able to do the same thing? I'd like to avoid having to do all of the downloading, setting up, etc, that I just did a few days ago. Anyway to save me from this without migration assistant? e.g. files, applications (particular MS office since I only have 1 license), touchpad settings, etc.

You can do what you need without any other tools. Just run a Time Machine backup to your external drive. When you get home and boot the new machine at the end of the setup process run the Migration Assistant and point it to your external drive with the TM backup on it. Check all the boxes on what you want to import with Migration Assist. When it is done your new machine will be just like the old one with your user account and all data present.

The only issue is if you have MS Office or any Adobe apps you will need to reenter the serial numbers for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.