Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Is it GPU? RAM? CPU? All of the above? Just trying to determine best hardware for my next computer, and I use InDesign every day.

HentzDynasty

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
You're looking mainly at RAM and Video Card. How much of each will be determined by your preferences in your software configuration under InDesign -> Preferences -> Performance

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
It is my experience....

on my forays in CS use, that high quality display mode works best in single images. Not so good idea in multi-paged documents. Having said the latter, I think the most taxed hardware in this mode are the GPU and RAM. You are no applying a filter or making a conversion between formats (CPU intensive tasks IMHO).

But somebody can prove me wrong....:eek:

:):apple:

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
on my forays in CS use, that high quality display mode works best in single images. Not so good idea in multi-paged documents.

I use Indesign all the time and this has been my experience as well. Although I've got a hex processor, 1GB VRAM and 32GB RAM, the High Quality display mode is sluggish. For this reason, I suspect the issue is not hardware but rather software related. Perhaps Adobe has yet to optimize the software to take advantage of available horsepower -- this has been the trend for several years.

For this reason, I would avoid swinging for the fence when you purchase your next machine. When I bought my Pro for example, I bought the hex as I considered it to be a good compromise between baseline and 2nd mortgage.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I use Indesign all the time and this has been my experience as well. Although I've got a hex processor, 1GB VRAM and 32GB RAM, the High Quality display mode is sluggish. For this reason, I suspect the issue is not hardware but rather software related. Perhaps Adobe has yet to optimize the software to take advantage of available horsepower -- this has been the trend for several years.

For this reason, I would avoid swinging for the fence when you purchase your next machine. When I bought my Pro for example, I bought the hex as I considered it to be a good compromise between baseline and 2nd mortgage.

High Quality display always worked great on even older machines for me.. until CS5 came out. Then it turned into a sluggish mess. I'm not sure what the difference is between version, but it's always angered me.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Sluggish

In High Quality Display mode, InDesign slows down to a crawl if you have imported 1200dpi bitmap TIFFs such as you would use on occasion for a spot ink or foil plate.

They are tiny files so there's no reason for this in 2013. Quark never had a problem with them.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
In High Quality Display mode, InDesign slows down to a crawl if you have imported 1200dpi bitmap TIFFs such as you would use on occasion for a spot ink or foil plate.

They are tiny files so there's no reason for this in 2013. Quark never had a problem with them.

Do you use Quark? I remember thinking when Indesign first debuted that it would never replace the old mainstay. Indesign stuck around and improved and still the standard stagnated and eventually fell out of favor. I switched over and have never gone back to see if Quark ever caught up.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Not any more

Have been Adobe only in our studio since CS3, I do miss a few things in Quark, but at the end of the day, they're just tools to let you design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.