Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:16 PM   #801
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
I read an article from ABC or NBC or one of those mainstream "news" sites, using the term "Trash Talking" in reference to Schiller's comments.

It made me laugh and think about major league sports banter.

I will be interesting to see if these becomes an integral part of how Apple competes in the marketplace going forward
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #802
iTravis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonia View Post
Yes and thats why your getting your ass kicked by Android.

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only
Exactly where do get the data to support such a ridiculous statement. This isn't me being a fanboy, this is called reading the facts. The ONLY reason why Android has a larger chunk of market saturation in phones is because it runs on free POS phones and top of the line phones, Apple didn't, especially from the beginning. In a phone by phone comparison, there is no single phone that out sales the iPhone. Also, as for OS's, iOS more than dominates android when you account for the iPad and iPod touches as well. Finally, lets stop all this tech talk and go to take balance sheets. Googles net worth as of this your is around $200 billion, Apples.....more like $500+ billion. Yeah, Apple could buy Google if they wanted to sell, the government would let them and more importantly, if Apple wanted to buy them. Get the facts straight before you get on here post about what you don't understand.
iTravis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:43 PM   #803
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
Also, as for OS's, iOS more than dominates android when you account for the iPad and iPod touches as well. Finally, lets stop all this tech talk and go to take balance sheets. Googles net worth as of this your is around $200 billion, Apples.....more like $500+ billion.
Interesting I didn't know that. Could you please link to the source you got the information from that say that there are a more than dominant number of iOS devices than Android devices (worldwide) out there?
Nale72 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:41 PM   #804
kemal
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nebraska
Android Quality

Are there any JellyBean phones still out there with the installed in /mnt/asec issue? All 4.1.* phone could have it. And eight months after it was first reported it is not resolved by Google. Imagine the hell Apple would catch if they left an OS out there for eight months that caused certain paid apps to delete accounts and data.
__________________
1988 Mac SE Upgraded to 2.66 MacPro
kemal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:48 PM   #805
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
Finally, lets stop all this tech talk and go to take balance sheets. Googles net worth as of this your is around $200 billion, Apples.....more like $500+ billion. Yeah, Apple could buy Google if they wanted to sell, the government would let them and more importantly, if Apple wanted to buy them. Get the facts straight before you get on here post about what you don't understand.
Clearly you have heard that Apple's stock price has crashed in the past 6 months.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:49 PM   #806
Windows&Apple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
My Nexus is up to date and I'm not limited to what I can and can't install on it. I'm free on my Nexus

Also, any issues with the stock OS is usually resolved with a simple rooting, nbd
Windows&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:51 AM   #807
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows&Apple View Post
Also, any issues with the stock OS is usually resolved with a simple rooting, nbd
So, if rooting is the way to go on Android and it solves any problems - what about a jailbreak on iOS?

But of course you'll find some explanation why Android + root = free and iOS + jailbreak = still a dictatorship, hm?

There's not much difference between a rooted Android and a jailbroken iPhone.

And as the relatively low numbers of people who've jailbroken their iOS 6.1 device in the first days after the release of the jailbreak has shown - they reported 7 million jailbroken devices, which sound's like a lot, but it isn't if you remember that there are more than 300 million devices running iOS - people aren't really interested in that openness blah blah, people want to device to function and even on Windows, where they could change many things about how the OS looks (shell replacement or wallpapers and themes), most have never done something like that and many are even still running the default desktop background.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:58 PM   #808
Tknull
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
It's a bit funny that you think iWork is better than Google Drive. And Google has had a find my friends as a part of latitude for years. Honestly, I don't know a single person that uses either finding service on iOS or Android.
I never said that iWork was better than Google Drive. The only thing i said was that I use iWork, and Find My Friends... and asked why you thought it was funny that I did.
__________________
Commodore 64, Pay Phone, Pencil and Paper.
Tknull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:48 AM   #809
Jayomat
macrumors 6502a
 
Jayomat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
Of course it is. Theres certain apps I cant run on older versions of Android and theres certain apps that cant run on older versions of ios.

Both platforms suffer from fragmentation.

----------



Ive got it on my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Cant speak for Samsung laptops as I dont have one.
Okay, even if I run in danger of repeating myself:

It is not about the presence of App X and Y, but about the behavior if that app exists on different OS and hardware versions, at least from a developer standpoint (which is the one that matters in this regard).

So when I run APPX on iOS4 and APPX on iOS6, the app should behave exactly the same. The problem gets serious when, for example, a hardware feature is missing. In this case the developer must check at any point wether that feature is present or not, which is a PITA
Jayomat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:38 PM   #810
bmt134
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Apple is stooping pretty low nowadays.
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:30 AM   #811
gibbo132
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WAS the one View Post
Why is that important for you change the GUI? Why? I am very happy with iOS and I hope the iTV comes with the same GUI as well. I can use my iDevices without looking at them. I know where to touch and when. The iOS is a front, a launcher for the really good apps. You just need the iOS launcher to use an app with a very different GUI so what gives!?? You want a different way to launch apps??? Give me a break. Go play with your droids boy this is iOS land here.
Maybe because iOS has been the same since launch. I am getting bore of the GUI.
And less of the hostility. I was voicing my opinion.
gibbo132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:08 AM   #812
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo132 View Post
Maybe because iOS has been the same since launch. I am getting bore of the GUI.
And less of the hostility. I was voicing my opinion.
Almost everything has changed in the iOS GUI except the layout of the app icons. And that's even been enhanced with the addition of folders. How is that the same?
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:30 AM   #813
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo132 View Post
Maybe because iOS has been the same since launch. I am getting bore of the GUI.
And less of the hostility. I was voicing my opinion.
Don't follow the droid-heads on this. The iOS of today is nothing like the first iPhone at all. When the iPhone launch it doesn't let you buy or install Apps, it was basically a short and controlled mobile version of OS X in fact it wasn't called iOS back then. Today is the most advance mobile OS out there it just the same form factor (and it needs to keep being like that) they mastered the touch and go functionality on a mobile device letting the apps do their magic on GUI not trying to be the center of attention.

If Apple changes the GUI it will be a mess, everything is simple and accurate and user friendly not like Android that is a mess to work with. I own both.
__________________
If were a religion... We all were sinners right now.
I WAS the one is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:35 PM   #814
epollyon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
It also is holding their users in place. Not a single serious business will ever consider using OS/X with Apple redesigning everything every couple of years and dropping backward compatibility.



There are probably more open source products that work on Windows than the ones that work on OS/X. PowerShell is probably the most powerful CLI/scripting language there is. Besides all regular scripting favorites (Perl, Tcl, Ruby eyc.) work on Wndows just fine.



There is a reason why xcode is free It's less powerful than Visual Studio Express (which is free).



I have. I am still waiting for Apple to come up with something. Remember that use of registry is optional on Windows. Nobody forces developers to use it for their software yet most of them prefer to do it anyways.



What does recover partition has to do with OS? Windows machines from HP and Dell have had recover partition forever. It's probably needed for OS/X because it's file system is not as fail proof as NTFS.



Is OS/X object oriented or something?



Classic UNIX permissions are way older than NTFS. Educate yourself on modern file permissions features (like ACLs). Wikipedia.



Plenty of options to do SSH on Windows.



Funny. X11 is one of the weakest links in UNIX. Just read recent news about how Linux community is struggling to replace X11 with something else.

And on and on. You just need to learn a little more about computing. In general, there is a lot more software for Windows than there is for OS/X.
sorry guy. i'm not following. what is os/x? and explain to me how a modern journaled unix FS is older than NTFS? i know you think you know more than me, but you are just another windows user without any linux experience. you are right that x11 is crap, but its the standard crap, so it makes it esaier to interact with GNU and x11 tunneling natively. You dind't know OS X (not os/x, this isn't os/2 over here) was obj-oriented? HELLO. bash and all the different shells are without a doubt or argument way more robust than powershell. just having power in the name doesn't mean much. with support for gnu and a native GCC apple has far more "legacy" support than windows does. cygwin is a POS and you can't argue otherwise. Lots of your perl and TCL will run through cygwin.dll anyway...

i don't mean to be insulting, but i've used windows, i've used linux, i've used bsd, i've used mac. they all have their own benefits. windows benefit is hardware independence. linux is just pure independence. mac is independence from having to deal with windows while reaping the benefits of full open source+GNU support, and not having to deal with hardware incompatibility. if that doesn't float your boat, by all means, stick with powershell...

oh, also, i hate the lack of symlinks and the way that drives are mounted. C:\ d:\ and all that stuff. very annoying

thx for the thorough reply

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
1. Agreed
2. True, but you can get around this using third party software such as Activestate Perl/Python, etc.
3. Developers always have costs somewhere. You pay to play.
4. The windows registry has grown cumbersome, and I doubt that will change.
5. Currently in Windows 8 and 7, even if people aren't fond of them.
6. The APIs are object oriented...
7. An updated cow filesystem is in the works, but testing is still ongoing...
8. Download Putty
9. X11 is a protocol. Windows has it's alternatives.
10. ?
11. In windows blue I'm guessing
12. Already there
13. Already there
14. Always ongoing
15. This has been implemented for the "Metro" apps
16. Their backup software is fairly good, but also be made to run hourly.
17. They leave that to the OEMs, who know their hardware better than microsoft.
18. These improve in Windows 8, even if they are scattered a bit.
19-21. Windows 8 makes improvements/alternatives.

Windows 8 has its problems, but most of the above are not it. The legacy support and registry are big ones. The rest are simply solutions that will find their way in soon if they aren't already provided. What you basically asked for is that Windows adopt Unix/Linux standards. Windows is Windows, and they have greater need of making their operating system faster, more stable, and a better developer environment with improved APIs, etc. If Microsoft tries to make Windows just a different/improved form of UNIX/Linux, then they've already lost.

EDIT: For the record, I understand your point; I use my macs for the exact same reason you do.
Hey! thanks for informing me on the latest windows stuff. i haven't played with 8 at all, yet. I guess you nailed it on the head with 18. windows has a lot of things and 3rd party things, but they are a bit scattered. I feel like once you've gone *nix, its very hard to come back and run into road block after road block. theres ways to get around, but i end up asking myself if its worth it. right now the ideal set up is linux with custom hardware and mac os x MBP to control the machines. i ran several HPC labs before going to med school. now i sit in acrobat. acrobat pro for mac might be the worst piece of software i've ever used. it must be better on windows...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguru View Post
As a technologically educated person, I must say that you are not that thechnologically educated.

First, the fact that Mac OS is written in objective C is not that big of a deal. It was developed by apple so it seems reasonable that be the main language used by apple. But, as language, is not that different from C++. Then you rant about drivers. You do realize that the fact that the drivers are built into the OS only means that it is harder to develop 3rd party drivers, right?
You may argue that windows doesn't have built in drivers and that led to BSoD. But due to the way that windows works atm, that is not an issue. BSoD happened because the OS let drivers execute at "su" mode and do whatever they want. Right now, that doesn't happen anymore.

To the remaining topics:
  • UNIX: yeah, unix is good. But I think you don't really understand why.
  • Terminal: of course you can do more on a terminal than on a GUI, regardless of the OS.
  • BSD Kernel: probably you are not aware of this, but windows kernel is actually good. the problem with windows is in the top layers, not in the kernel. That's why windows server is widely used.

And you might not be aware, but Dalvik is a process VM, not a system VM.
so your point is you don't have one except to dissect my language. i put /rant at the end to mean that my comment was written hastily without regard for minutia. Obj-c is a bigger deal than you think and this is why windows is pushing .net. obviously dalvik is a process VM, which, by the way, increases overhead since its running in parallel.

anyway dude i'm not gunna argue with you. why? because you dismiss me as uninformed. basically that means u are an ignorant person that comes to conclusions about people you don't know. see? i just did it to you

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguru View Post
As a technologically educated person, I must say that you are not that thechnologically educated.

First, the fact that Mac OS is written in objective C is not that big of a deal. It was developed by apple so it seems reasonable that be the main language used by apple. But, as language, is not that different from C++. Then you rant about drivers. You do realize that the fact that the drivers are built into the OS only means that it is harder to develop 3rd party drivers, right?
You may argue that windows doesn't have built in drivers and that led to BSoD. But due to the way that windows works atm, that is not an issue. BSoD happened because the OS let drivers execute at "su" mode and do whatever they want. Right now, that doesn't happen anymore.

To the remaining topics:
  • UNIX: yeah, unix is good. But I think you don't really understand why.
  • Terminal: of course you can do more on a terminal than on a GUI, regardless of the OS.
  • BSD Kernel: probably you are not aware of this, but windows kernel is actually good. the problem with windows is in the top layers, not in the kernel. That's why windows server is widely used.

And you might not be aware, but Dalvik is a process VM, not a system VM.
wait one more thing, lol. i called that latency thing didn't i? not tech savvy my ass :P
epollyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phil Schiller Tweets Link to Mobile Malware Report That Slams Android MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 284 Jun 8, 2014 01:09 PM
Apple Marketing Chief Phil Schiller to Testify Again in Upcoming Apple vs. Samsung Case MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 18 Feb 17, 2014 12:34 PM
Phil Schiller Tweets Link to Another Security Report Criticizing Android MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 142 Feb 12, 2014 02:59 PM
Phil Schiller, Scott Forstall May Testify in Apple v. Samsung Damages Retrial MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 148 Oct 14, 2013 07:36 AM
Samsung Again Caught Inflating Benchmarking Scores, Phil Schiller Calls 'Shenanigans' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 543 Oct 6, 2013 10:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC