Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celery11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hi All,

A guy from work lent me his iphone to borrow for a few weeks whilst my phone is being repaired. I am guessing his phone was jailbroken but I went to settings and reset all data so I could use from scratch. This caused the phone to freeze on the black screen with the white apple logo. I have since tried all methods on the internet I can possibly find which just results in all different types of errors on itunes - which include 16OO, 16O1, 13O5 etc etc. I have tried the restore, DFU mode and everything

Please could someone help? Should I just take the old phone into an apple shop and ask for help?

I can't face telling my friend that I have broke his phone he kindly lent me.

Thanks.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Hi All,

A guy from work lent me his iphone to borrow for a few weeks whilst my phone is being repaired. I am guessing his phone was jailbroken but I went to settings and reset all data so I could use from scratch. This caused the phone to freeze on the black screen with the white apple logo. I have since tried all methods on the internet I can possibly find which just results in all different types of errors on itunes - which include 16OO, 16O1, 13O5 etc etc. I have tried the restore, DFU mode and everything

Please could someone help? Should I just take the old phone into an apple shop and ask for help?

I can't face telling my friend that I have broke his phone he kindly lent me.

Thanks.

I'm sure it's nothing a DFU Restore can't fix.

Unfortunately he might lose his jailbreak out of all of this lol

Celery11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah I don't mind as long as I can get the actual phone working.

So how do you go about a full DFU restore?

Celery11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
is it a 3g/3gs? what carrier was it on prior?did it happen to be unlocked?

I'm pretty sure it is a 3g (but cannot be certain). My sim card is on o2. Not sure if it was unlocked.

Sorry can't be much help.

Celery11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah I've tried that. Then I click on restore and it restores but return with an error. I think its error 1015.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Yeah I've tried that. Then I click on restore and it restores but return with an error. I think its error 1015.

usually 1015 is from them downgrading the baseband.. or using it with an ipad baseband.

Make a custom IPSW (using pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze) with baseband update disabled - restore with this. This may fix the 1015 error.
If you are restoring to iOS 4.2.1 - try using FixRecovery (downloadable from thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com)
Restore to an older iOS version and use recboot to exit past the 1015 error

----------

This. An actual DFU Restore should get you going in the right direction...

well the 1015 error he just mentioned... dfu prolly wont fix it. means he has a downgraded baseband/ipad baseband and is trying to restore it.. he needs to restore with a custome fw and skip updating the baseband

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
well the 1015 error he just mentioned... dfu prolly wont fix it. means he has a downgraded baseband/ipad baseband and is trying to restore it.. he needs to restore with a custome fw and skip updating the baseband

Oh alright, a little more complex than I originally thought.

I don't envy him lol

Celery11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Great so sounds like I'm screwed.
:(
I have tried the DFU mode restore and just get error 1015 again. I have tried Snowbreeze to make a custom restore file but this didn't work. I also tried fiddling around with TinyUmbrella and this didn't work.

Anything else?

Celery11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Just want to say a massive thanks to BFizzzle!

I restored my (friends) phone using sn0wbreeze with baseband update disabled and it worked straight away.

The advice in this thread was a massive life saver so huge thanks to all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.