Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carla748

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I used my husbands upgrade to order a new 5s from Apple.com for myself. It might be arriving tomorrow and I want to activate it with my phone number.

Do I have to take it to ATT Store or can I do it online? it was ordered with my husbands phone number but want it activated with my phone number .

If I have to go to the ATT store to activate it do i need to bring both phones or just mine?

JustSoldOut

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Houston
Login to your AT&T account to activate the new 5S, and there will be a number to call AT&T to activate the other line.

Carla748

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Login to your AT&T account to activate the new 5S, and there will be a number to call AT&T to activate the other line.

I'm only activating one phone - my husband is keeping his the same. Does the new 5s have to be activated on his line first and then switched to mine, or can i just activate it on my line?

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
@Carla748

I have done it many times. I have a family plan and we all upgrade on someone elses line.

You dont need to goto the store though.

I don't remember if I turned on the new phone first BUT just open it up and have it out. They will need the TINY #'s off the box and the sim # etc...

Just call them up and they can transfer the upgrade over.

On my plan 2 phones have unlimited and 1 has the 2gig plan. We have never lost a grandfathered unlimited plan or had any issues. IF you feel the person on the phone with you is not 100% sure what they are doing just hang up, you got disconnected right ;) , then call back and you will get someone else for sure. Just tell them what you are doing and got disconnected. I say all that as someone who is not sure can make a mess and you will have to goto the AT&T store.

Bottom line is YES they can and it takes about 10 minutes at most.

Carla748

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks Earth Dawn- I pick up my new 5s gold 64 gb phone at UPS in the morning and then I'll call ATT to activate.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Or the easier way is to turn on the phone, activate it, then put that SIM in your husbands phone and put your SIM in the 5s. Be aware as soon as you activate the phone, your husbands current phone will deactivate, so make sure he's home and his phone takes the nano SIM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.