Apple Thunderbolt Display - Buy or don't buy? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I'm not saying the TBD is cheap, but I don't follow your recommendation at all. The equivalent Dell 27" display is $849 vs. $999 for the TBD which includes Thunderbolt for a one wire connection to Mac portables. Just having a clean setup with only one wire to unplug is worth the $150 to me. Plus you can get a refurb TBD for $829. So its not like the TBD is $500 extra or something.
What is the Dell equivalent monitor in your eyes?
In EU, the U2713HM is about 540$ and Apple TBD is about 900$ which is quite a large difference.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
What is the Dell equivalent monitor in your eyes?
In EU, the U2713HM is about 540$ and Apple TBD is about 900$ which is quite a large difference.
U2713HM is exactly the one I was thinking was a close comparison. When I posted the Dell was $849 USD, today it shows $799.

Not sure why the EU pricing is so much better? Usually the opposite seems to be the case.

Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #28
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
U2713HM is exactly the one I was thinking was a close comparison. When I posted the Dell was $849 USD, today it shows $799.

Not sure why the EU pricing is so much better? Usually the opposite seems to be the case.

Right, sorry. My USD conversion rate wasn't up to date.
It's 831$. Problem though, is that Apple TBD is 1200$ with current conversation rate so it's still a big difference between the two displays in EU
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #29
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
It's 831$. Problem though, is that Apple TBD is 1200$ with current conversation rate so it's still a big difference between the two displays in EU
Fair enough... that gap does make the TBD less compelling.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:19 PM   #30
pbmagnet4
macrumors member

Quote:
Do keep in mind that the docking capabilities on the TBD are a great feature to have. Even if it is "only" usb2 I use all my ports on the back of my TBD for peripherals that could never take advantage of usb3. For instance I love coming back from class and all I have to do to dock my 13in is plug two cords in. Then I have my FW to my DVC30 automatically connected, my Ethernet, my USB to audio in and out which hooks me up to my headphones and shotgun mic, iPhone 5 cord, and one open USB for whatever comes to mind. Im not sure what year MBP you have but the current ones have USB3 so you can always use the two built in for a HDD if need be cause that is the only use I can think of for usb3 for the average user.
iPod, 20gb ; iPod Nano, 16gb
pbmagnet4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:49 PM   #31
dma550
macrumors 6502

For me, I think that I need to be split anyhow - slow USB2 periperals like keyboard, mouse, memory sticks, etc, and USB3 for hard drives and usb3 compatible USB drives. Works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmagnet4 View Post
Do keep in mind that the docking capabilities on the TBD are a great feature to have. Even if it is "only" usb2 I use all my ports on the back of my TBD for peripherals that could never take advantage of usb3. For instance I love coming back from class and all I have to do to dock my 13in is plug two cords in. Then I have my FW to my DVC30 automatically connected, my Ethernet, my USB to audio in and out which hooks me up to my headphones and shotgun mic, iPhone 5 cord, and one open USB for whatever comes to mind. Im not sure what year MBP you have but the current ones have USB3 so you can always use the two built in for a HDD if need be cause that is the only use I can think of for usb3 for the average user.
dma550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice