Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:31 PM   #76
G4TheWin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: A ditch somewhere
I use Aurorafox, as it's optimized for Leopard, and is generally faster than T4F.
G4TheWin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:05 AM   #77
MyBigMac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4TheWin View Post
I use Aurorafox, as it's optimized for Leopard, and is generally faster than T4F.
Hmmm....If my TenFourFox slows down, I may try that one, but T4F is blazing fast compared to Safari. It took some getting used to since I can't use Flash, but Mactubes can use Quicktime, and it's not sluggish like the old Flash player. Everything looks and sounds great even on full screen.

BTW....I'm on a G4 Mirror Door Drive, OSX 10.5.8...I maxed it out to 2 G's, and it made a world of difference.
MyBigMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:23 AM   #78
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
I've used FireFox for the most part for v1.0 but now (today) have been forced to switch to Safari on my G5. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Safari, I've used it at times in the past. I just like the flexibility of FireFox where you can use add-ons to make it better.

The reason for the switch is Flash is no longer working for FireFox on the PPC because you can't upgrade the software, weirdly it all seems to be working on Safari, is that because of HTML5?

Can't wait for my shinny new 27" iMac to come, hopefully sometime next week
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:06 AM   #79
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I've used FireFox for the most part for v1.0 but now (today) have been forced to switch to Safari on my G5. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Safari, I've used it at times in the past. I just like the flexibility of FireFox where you can use add-ons to make it better.

The reason for the switch is Flash is no longer working for FireFox on the PPC because you can't upgrade the software, weirdly it all seems to be working on Safari, is that because of HTML5?

Can't wait for my shinny new 27" iMac to come, hopefully sometime next week
I am sure you have heard about it, so why don't you try Tenfourfox. It retains all of the Add-on functionality and plugins (like Flash) can be enabled and work just fine.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:53 PM   #80
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I am sure you have heard about it, so why don't you try Tenfourfox. It retains all of the Add-on functionality and plugins (like Flash) can be enabled and work just fine.
No I haven't tried that one and right now I'm just waiting for my new iMac.

PPC has been good and I will be keeping my G5 to run some software no longer supported on Intel/OS X but for most of my stuff I'll be using the new iMac. Might check out Tenfourfox when I get it up and running.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:55 PM   #81
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
No I haven't tried that one and right now I'm just waiting for my new iMac.

PPC has been good and I will be keeping my G5 to run some software no longer supported on Intel/OS X but for most of my stuff I'll be using the new iMac. Might check out Tenfourfox when I get it up and running.
If you are on Leopard, I would go with Leopard Webkit.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:05 PM   #82
harlock59
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: france, europe
firefox powerpc and tenfourfox are nearly the same though firefox powerpc seems to be lighter

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4TheWin View Post
I use Aurorafox, as it's optimized for Leopard, and is generally faster than T4F.
does aurorafox run on powerpc ?
harlock59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:16 PM   #83
eyoungren
macrumors 603
 
eyoungren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlock59 View Post
firefox powerpc and tenfourfox are nearly the same though firefox powerpc seems to be lighter


How so? The last version of Firefox capable of running on PowerPC Mac was 3.x something. TenFourFox is currently at version 17. Granted they are both browsers that run on PowerPC Macs, but T4Fx is far more modern. But even if they are similar, that's intended. T4Fx is meant to allow us PowerPC users to continue to use modern versions of Firefox past version 3.x and has functionality that 3.x doesn't because the T4Fx project has kept up with the Firefox project.


Maybe "firefox powerpc" seems lighter because it's well over a year and a half old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlock59 View Post
does aurorafox run on powerpc ?
Yes, it does. That's why it keeps being mentioned. But you need a minimum of OSX 10.5 Leopard to run it.

Both T4Fx and Aurorafox are forks of Mozilla Firefox.
__________________
PowerMac G4 QuickSilver - 1.6Ghz DP | Sprint iPhone 5 - Fisher Price/PlaySkool iOS
Sprint iPhone owners, THERE IS NO DOMESTIC UNLOCK!
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:54 AM   #84
G5-Sir Mac Alot
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ridgefield, WA USA
Personally I like Roccat and Stainless the most.
G5-Sir Mac Alot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:18 AM   #85
g4 powerbookboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I am using safari with leopard webkit on my iBook g4. seems to work good.
g4 powerbookboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:24 AM   #86
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Another vote for Aurorafox.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:12 AM   #87
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
I use tiger webkit exactly like safari but way faster, works well on processors that are slower than 800 mhz as well. Fastest ive used.
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Browsers chindita Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Mar 19, 2014 05:59 PM
Can't Upload Anything in Browsers eddjedi OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Apr 11, 2013 04:53 PM
Do Browsers get corrupt? martosprint OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Nov 30, 2012 05:04 PM
Browsers!!! Again!!!!! wobegong PowerPC Macs 9 Nov 9, 2012 07:37 AM
Browsers for Lion MacMan988 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 32 Jul 12, 2012 06:10 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC