Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Kadin
macrumors 6502a

Where do you notice the advantage of Retina the most?

I owned an iPad 1 and 2 and recently bought a iPad 4 but then exchanged it for a Mini where I'll be staying from here on out. I'm trying to understand and appreciate why so many people are passing on this little gem due to Retina.

Now when I returned the 4 and got the Mini, sure I noticed that I couldn't zoom out as far on websites and still read as clearly but is it really that big an issue to so many? I can't appreciate art and photos like others so maybe that's where some of you knock the lack of Retina? Or videos?

I'm just trying to see where it's such a big deal because honestly I can't see it. I created another thread earlier about always using my Mini in landscape so who knows, maybe I'm covering up the 'problem' by doing this?

Having said this, if and when a Retina Mini does arrive, I'm pretty sure I'd buy it. I just don't know if I'll actually gain a lot from it.
Kadin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601

Text.

Webpages.
PDF.
epub.
The labels on apps on springboard.

Not so much in games/video.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:55 PM   #3
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Web, RSS reader, PDFs, books, IMDB, Wiki, Word docs ... pretty much 90% of my daily use.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Itzdina
macrumors newbie

snapseed
Itzdina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Text. The smaller the screen, the more important retina is.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:49 PM   #6
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

games and movies (especially movies like Pixar/disney animation type movies)

text on webpages or pdfs.
luqtotheman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:04 PM   #7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
games and movies (especially movies like Pixar/disney animation type movies)

text on webpages or pdfs.
Anytime I need to read the screen, it is just much more easier on the eyes. I think it has to do with the distance at which you use the device. Movies like The Avengers looks great on the iPad, the more visuals on screen the better it seems to look.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
spooky23
macrumors member

So comics in Retina = gorgeous ?
spooky23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

Portrait mode. I bought and returned the iPad mini. In portrait mode with the mini the text in web pages were pixelated to the point of almost unreadable. Compare the iPad 2 and mini side by side with the iPad 3 or 4 in portrait, looking at the same web page and the difference is drastic. Guess my eyes are spoiled with the retina iPad and iphone5.

Last edited by Peanut207; Jan 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:34 PM   #10
spatlese44
macrumors regular

My wife types faster on her 1st gen iPad than most people type on a regular keyboard. We're looking at an upgrade and a second iPad fairly soon. I don't think she could type on a mini, so retina or not screen size apparently matters.

I'd like to hear input from anyone who has switched to a mini and how well they type on it.
spatlese44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:48 PM   #11
cfs112
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatlese44 View Post
My wife types faster on her 1st gen iPad than most people type on a regular keyboard. We're looking at an upgrade and a second iPad fairly soon. I don't think she could type on a mini, so retina or not screen size apparently matters.

I'd like to hear input from anyone who has switched to a mini and how well they type on it.
I switched from iPad 2 to the mini, and I type faster on the mini. I'm typing using portrait mode and split keyboard using my thumbs to type. In the iPad 2 I always typed using landscape and full keyboard mode.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:35 PM   #12
jeans94621
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatlese44 View Post

That was my biggest concern and I purchased a keyboard case before I tried it out. But I type just as fast on my mini as I did on my ipad one. It seems to me like typing on the mini is actually easier but I have no problem whatsoever.
As far as the retina not being on the mini I don't understand how people were content with the iPad one and two but are having such a hard time with the mini's display. I would suggest you go to a store and check it out for yourself.
jeans94621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #13
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Are you a glutton for punishment? Of all the people in the world upset about the mini's not having retina, the second biggest concentration of them (the first being the nearest Android forum) are here on MR.

That said, I've got a mini and I use it every day and the main reason I bought it was so I wouldn't have to print out all the PDFs I have to read for school (and I hate more than anything reading on my desktop or laptop, and my lovely, lovely Kindle just doesn't do PDFs at all well<sigh>), and with PDFs my mini shines, I love it so much for that alone, and for the games, well I love it even more for those!
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad