Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
People whine because they care. It's difficult to have much enthusiasm for Microsoft stuff, because this is one of the few products they have ever made. After being burned by the Zune (yes, I had one and liked it well-enough, but Microsoft bungled it, and drove me over to the iPod), I have low expectations for the Surface.

I have very high expectations for Apple, because I have to pay more, I am invested in the ecosystem, and the iPad 3 is a tough experience to match. The iPhone is probably the only other Apple mobile device that compares favorably with it.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
$599 and $999 is a big difference....

Let's compare it then like how everyone likes to compare...

- Keyboard Cover = +$120
- 32GB to 128GB = +$200 (32GB to 64GB = $100, 64GB to 128GB = $100, using Apple's pricing method)
- Faster processor on the Air and more RAM = +$100
- Windows 8 RT to Mac OS X Mountain Lion = priceless.

So that brings Surface to a comparable price of $1019, more expensive than an air and it's slower and thicker and less usable.

There you have it...

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
No one is complaining because no one has it, and they knew months ago that it would come out with this horrible display. We are complaining about the iPad Mini, because Apple is using better technology in its other devices, so could have done better, but didn't.

The Surface is exciting, but after seeing videos of usage, I am not sure if it is a prime-time device yet.

That better technology currently doesn't fit inside the mini though, that's why they didn't use it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Let's compare it then like how everyone likes to compare...

- Keyboard Cover = +$120
- 32GB to 128GB = +$200 (32GB to 64GB = $100, 64GB to 128GB = $100, using Apple's pricing method)
- Faster processor on the Air and more RAM = +$100
- Windows 8 RT to Mac OS X Mountain Lion = priceless.

So that brings Surface to a comparable price of $1019, more expensive than an air and it's slower and thicker and less usable.

There you have it...

but you can't get an air for anything less than $999 and most people getting the surface are getting the lower end model....same as all apple products. Don't include refurbs or student discounts b.c you could get those on the surface as well

clyde2801

macrumors 601
That better technology currently doesn't fit inside the mini though, that's why they didn't use it.

God, I hope that's it, and not Apple parceling out older tech to encourage upgrades for the 2nd or 3rd version.

The reasons why our expectations are so high is because Apple set them up that way with it's introduction of retina 9.7" iPads and Macbook Pros. Look at commercials for any other Apple product besides the mini, and you'll see how prominently Retina is showcased. It's what they've displayed and marketed, and it's what people expect and demand from a premium product.

Microsoft has no such displays, or other tablets, thus purchasers of the Surface (all nineteen of them) have no such expectations. What they want and expect is to have a tablet with some commonality and interoperability with Windows OS and MS Office that (most importantly) does not have a partially eaten piece of fruit emblem on the back.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
b.c it has office...really they are two difference markets. The surface would be great if you are still in school and doing papers.

The figures are:

32gb - real amount 29gb (probably similar to the iPad 32gb capacity)
5gb windows recovery partition
8gb OS + apps
16gb Space

The 64gb model has 46gb space available

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Ipad mini display actually graded better than nexus 7

Look at the chart, overall results is better than nexus 7

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 88

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I'm sure if Microsoft had Retina-class devices and then the Surface came out with a low-res screen people would complain. I personally think Apple users whine more than other users.

And other user likes to diss apple when it didn't bring up to par, but when Microsoft or android did that no one cares

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.