Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

Large audio collection

I have almost 500gb of digital audio. What is the best way to access it on my ATV? Not even sure if it's possible to cram all that into iTunes but I'm not thinking that is an option. I know I can mirror but even so,what is the best media player to access a library that large?

----------

I've played around with XBMC a bit...it seems to be pretty cool. Is it the best option?
CatsTide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
EvilC5
macrumors 6502a

I have over a 100gb in audio and 2.8-3tb in video and it works well for me. If its organized, I don't see why iTunes wouldn't work.
iPhone 4, 4s, and 5.....the ihome!
EvilC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Yeah I'd just put it in iTunes myself.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Yeah I'd just put it in iTunes myself.
just add the folder?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:19 PM   #5
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTide View Post
just add the folder?
Yup pretty much. I have my iTunes setup so that it actually copies it into some iTunes media folder (not too sure how it works). Not sure if you'd want to do that though (iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Check/uncheck copy files into iTunes media library etc)

You could open the folder, cmd+a, drag and drop into iTunes.. or go into iTunes and go to File -> Add to library -> Select songs from there.

But once you setup home sharing, you'll be able to play all your music through your Apple TV
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yup pretty much. I have my iTunes setup so that it actually copies it into some iTunes media folder (not too sure how it works). Not sure if you'd want to do that though (iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Check/uncheck copy files into iTunes media library etc)

You could open the folder, cmd+a, drag and drop into iTunes.. or go into iTunes and go to File -> Add to library -> Select songs from there.

But once you setup home sharing, you'll be able to play all your music through your Apple TV
I think I have realized pretty quickly that this option isn't going to work for me. I'm not nearly as organized and neatly tagged as I'd like. I have all my files tucked neatly into artist folders,then into alpha folders so when I look for an artist and album it is easily found. When I try to get iTunes to add the files it gets all muddied up. I'm guessing XBMC or some other file searching player will be my best option,then use mirroring to my ATV.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I think I have realized pretty quickly that this option isn't going to work for me. I'm not nearly as organized and neatly tagged as I'd like. I have all my files tucked neatly into artist folders,then into alpha folders so when I look for an artist and album it is easily found. When I try to get iTunes to add the files it gets all muddied up. I'm guessing XBMC or some other file searching player will be my best option,then use mirroring to my ATV.
Well, what's your goal? You can output sound from your computer to your ATV without mirroring or having your music in iTunes. Do you just want music through the speakers connected to your ATV?

Because if you want to be able to select songs from your ATV, you're gonna have to put 'em in iTunes. If you just mirror, you'll have to sit at your Mac anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, what's your goal? You can output sound from your computer to your ATV without mirroring or having your music in iTunes. Do you just want music through the speakers connected to your ATV?

Because if you want to be able to select songs from your ATV, you're gonna have to put 'em in iTunes. If you just mirror, you'll have to sit at your Mac anyway.
Yeah,on music pretty much just playing tunes through the ATV. I don't really mind setting at my Mac(right by my easy chair :-) ). Is there a way to accomplish that without iTunes or mirroring?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:27 PM   #9
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah,on music pretty much just playing tunes through the ATV. I don't really mind setting at my Mac(right by my easy chair :-) ). Is there a way to accomplish that without iTunes or mirroring?
Hold option and click on the speaker (volume button) in the menu bar (next to the date/time), click on Apple TV as the output device
KylePowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:28 PM   #10
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hold option and click on the speaker (volume button) in the menu bar (next to the date/time), click on Apple TV as the output device
Awesome!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:07 AM   #11
jpix55
macrumors member

Quote:
This is a great tip. I learn something new about holding down the option button everyday. I think I am just going to hold down option while clicking everything just to see what I can do! Thanks.
jpix55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater