Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I ripped a DVD into 2 folders, but what is the best way to play the DVD folders on the Mac hard drive?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Rename the containing folder (the one with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS inside it) to have a .dvdmedia extension, then just double-click.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Rename the containing folder (the one with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS inside it) to have a .dvdmedia extension, then just double-click.

I have no idea what you talking about? :eek:

Can you elaborate please?

Rename what exactly? And play what file with what app?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, a DVD usually contains two folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. When you said that you'd ripped the DVD into two folders, I assumed that you meant those two. Is that correct?

Let's say that you have both of those folders inside one called "Movie". If you rename the "Movie" folder to "Movie.dvdmedia" then its icon will change to a DVD Player icon, and double-clicking it will play the movie.

You can also open DVD Player manually and open the folders from the File menu.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
OK, a DVD usually contains two folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. When you said that you'd ripped the DVD into two folders, I assumed that you meant those two. Is that correct?

Let's say that you have both of those folders inside one called "Movie". If you rename the "Movie" folder to "Movie.dvdmedia" then its icon will change to a DVD Player icon, and double-clicking it will play the movie.

You can also open DVD Player manually and open the folders from the File menu.

Yes correct, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.

Ok I will try that, thanks.

I am experimenting with what works best as I am trying to get video and audio quality the same as the DVD. Having problems at moment with Handbrake rips not having good quality audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.