Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basspro85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Here is a good question... I have unlimited stream for Netflix ( it allows you two devices to stream at the same time ) My girlfriends brother likes to stream on his ps3 and we stream on our Apple TV 3rd generation at night... Occasionally during work we like to watch Netflix on a iPhone... It seems like the Apple TV ( even though it is sleeping, we have it set to automatically sleep after 15 min ) is still "Netflix active" and therefore will not allow us to stream on the iphone if the brother is streaming on his ps3... Simple solution is to tell the brother to get off haha, but is there a way that Netflix will quit and not stay active event though the Apple TV is sleeping?
Thanks mucho!!!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Here is a good question... I have unlimited stream for Netflix ( it allows you two devices to stream at the same time ) My girlfriends brother likes to stream on his ps3 and we stream on our Apple TV 3rd generation at night... Occasionally during work we like to watch Netflix on a iPhone... It seems like the Apple TV ( even though it is sleeping, we have it set to automatically sleep after 15 min ) is still "Netflix active" and therefore will not allow us to stream on the iphone if the brother is streaming on his ps3... Simple solution is to tell the brother to get off haha, but is there a way that Netflix will quit and not stay active event though the Apple TV is sleeping?
Thanks mucho!!!

That's strange, I have unlimited netflix streaming and something like 4 appletv's and never run into that problem as well as streaming from my iphone regularly. Are you leaving a video up on the AppleTV (i.e. maybe paused?). How do you know it is the AppleTV causing the problem? Just curious.

Basspro85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I'm assuming that Netflix is paused. We fall asleep with a show playing and Apple TV turns itself off once the TV ( sleep timer ) goes off. I know it's Apple TV because we usually only watch Netflix on it and my girlfriends brother watches it on his ps3...
We also have a google tv box from Logitech. Once the TV went to sleep it would shut down Netflix so that the limited streaming wouldn't be a problem... Google tv sucked so we kicked it to the curb haha

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Apple TV doesn't log you out if you are in the Netflix or Hulu apps, in fact I do not think it really goes to sleep to tell you the truth, I think it just turns off the HDMI output, but everything else remains running. If I leave my Netflix on, when I turn the Apple TV back on, it is right where I left it. Paused show, on a menu, doesn't matter, it is right there.

Basspro85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Apple TV doesn't log you out if you are in the Netflix or Hulu apps, in fact I do not think it really goes to sleep to tell you the truth, I think it just turns off the HDMI output, but everything else remains running. If I leave my Netflix on, when I turn the Apple TV back on, it is right where I left it. Paused show, on a menu, doesn't matter, it is right there.

Yea that's what mine does also, when I turn back on the TV it's right where I left off... It's convenient don't get me wrong, but when I forget to back out of the app ( or just fall asleep to it ) and I want to watch Netflix on my iPhone it's annoying that it tells me too many devices are streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.