Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zvezdochots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Hi! I have an iMac 2011 with Intel SSD 520 Series installed instead of SuperDrive. OS X 10.8.3 works normally, but iMac doesn't boot from external devices like DVD or USB flash drives. I tried to completely reinstall OS X, but it didn't help. I have no ideas about the reason of this problem.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi! I have an iMac 2011 with Intel SSD 520 Series installed instead of SuperDrive. OS X 10.8.3 works normally, but iMac doesn't boot from external devices like DVD or USB flash drives. I tried to completely reinstall OS X, but it didn't help. I have no ideas about the reason of this problem.

The problem here could be the OS which you use on the externals or the way you put an OS on an external.

Example, if you boot from an Apple Installer disk which is an earlier version than your iMac came with it won't boot.
If you copied over the OS without using a special Application like Carbon Copy Cloner it won't boot.

zvezdochots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Moscow, Russia
I don't think so. I tried all external drives with MacBook Pro (with the same SSD!) and the all work well. I tried Win7 DVD, Ubuntu from CD and USB.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I tried all possible ways to boot from an external drive. I have apple wired keyboard. When I choose Windows in boot menu, I see black screen with blinking cursor.

Reason I asked about wireless keyboard is it sometimes does not pick up entries.
Do you have any boot manager replacement installed like rEFIt or rEFInd.
Could be issues with these.

zvezdochots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Reason I asked about wireless keyboard is it sometimes does not pick up entries.
Do you have any boot manager replacement installed like rEFIt or rEFInd.
Could be issues with these.

No, I don't have any of them. I also tried to install rEFIt, but it didn't help.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I think justperry in the post above has found the key issue.

Try this:
1. Hook up an external boot source to the Mac and have it powered-up and ready to go
2. Shut down the iMac completely and let it sit for 10 seconds (leave the external device on)
3. Press the power-on button
4. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
5. In a few moments, the startup manager should appear. It will show you all the bootable volumes that the Mac has found, both internally and externally
6. Do you see the presence of your external booting source?

IF YES - select it with the tab key or mouse pointer, then hit the enter key

IF NO - I'll guess that _something_ is wrong with the OS installation on that volume, and it lacks some critical file necessary to boot the Mac. Or there might be a hardware or connection problem.

Other thought - the Intel SSD may begin the boot process so quickly, that you can't "intervene" to switch-boot from another source.

Seems to me that in the early days of Mac, having a disc installed in the CD drive (they were just CD drives back then, and they could hold an entire system!) would "give it priority" in the boot process -- that is to say, the Mac would "look there first" for a bootable volume, and if one was found, would always try to boot from it _first_, before looking elsewhere.

Not sure if this carries over to present-day. But if something like that still applies, the presence of the Intel drive would be "a substitute" for the DVD drive. And the Mac, finding a bootable volume present there, would "grab it" as the boot volume first, giving you no chance to switch it to another source.

Again, I think the exception is the routine above to invoke the startup manager first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.