Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Aj09
macrumors newbie

Can't update Sophos Antivirus, Can't install Adobe Flash Player. Please help!

Hi,

Problems started when videos I'm watching (short clips) stop half way lately. Then today my Sophos Antivirus can't update for the first time- been using it for 3 years now. I uninstalled my adobe flash player then tried to install the latest version but can't seem to complete the download. It says image data corrupted. I also uninstalled the Sophos and downloaded it. Same thing happened. Please help!

Last edited by Aj09; Sep 7, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
Aj09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:16 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj09 View Post
Hi,

Problems started when videos I'm watching (short clips) stop half way lately. Then today my Sophos Antivirus can't update for the first time- been using it for 3 years now. I uninstalled my adobe flash player then tried to install the latest version but can't seem to complete the download. It says image data corrupted. I also uninstalled the Sophos and downloaded it. Same thing happened. Please help!
I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Aj09
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.
Thanks for the info. However, when I tried to download clamxav, same thing happened- Download incomplete and image data corrupted. What should I do? Please advise
Aj09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:54 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thanks for the info. However, when I tried to download clamxav, same thing happened- Download incomplete and image data corrupted. What should I do? Please advise
Here are a few things to try, if you haven't already:

Restart your Mac. That solves many minor problems.
Verify/repair your drive with Disk Utility.
Verify/repair permissions with Disk Utility.
Clear your browser's cookies and cache.
Make sure you have a current backup of your drive, to protect your data in the event of a drive failure.

If you're uninstalling an app, make sure you remove all files related to the app. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Tysknaden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi,

Sophos and Flash. Both :-)
You can consider yourself happy that your Mac is still running at all. Stop installing crapware.
Tysknaden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Just don't use any anti virus software, you don't need it.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:13 AM   #7
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

If everything you download lately is corrupted, I would suggest you check out your modem/router for problems - it may be breaking down under load.

As for Antivirus, all the above posters are correct - Clamxav only, if at all.

Last edited by OLDCODGER; Sep 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
OLDCODGER is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:13 AM   #8
alexjohnson073
macrumors newbie

- In my views you are not able to install Adobe player software because some maliciou

In my views you are not able to install Adobe player software because some malicious infections are present in your system. If your antivirus is not able to detect the issue (as it is not able to take any updates) and remove it; then you should try doing so with the help of some other security tool. You can choose any of the popular tools available like Immunet Plus, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast etc. Change your system settings to default and then scan your computer completely. If any virus is present then it will be easily quarantine.1f712fb133c&p=17845174#post17845174
alexjohnson073 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:09 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjohnson073 View Post
In my views you are not able to install Adobe player software because some malicious infections are present in your system.
That is not true. Please read the link in post #2. There are no OS X viruses in the wild, and only a few Trojans, none of which will produce the symptoms that the OP described. It doesn't matter how many antivirus apps you try, they won't find anything, because the OP's issue is not related to malware.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store