Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I already have a Samsung phone on a contract with Virgin Media (UK) and quite satisfied with it. Haven't considered iphone previously because I simply don't use my phone all that much; I have a really small social circle, just a few family & friends and so calls aren't a big thing for me - this is why my £10 per month samsung contract suits me ok.

But -

I LOVE my old ipod touch (2010), particularly for the (albeit crappy) camera, video and apps. Still, the camera isn't anywhere close to the quality of an iphone camera, which makes me want to possibly upgrade. But is the iphone an unnecessary leap for me when I am mostly interested in the apps and camera features?

I thought about an ipad mini but the camera, again, isn't as good.

I just want a portable web device with tons of apps and a great camera for instagram, etc.

Any thoughts for an iphone newbie?
I would be purchasing the 4S for use with my VirginMedia contract if I do go ahead.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I already have a Samsung phone on a contract with Virgin Media (UK) and quite satisfied with it. Haven't considered iphone previously because I simply don't use my phone all that much; I have a really small social circle, just a few family & friends and so calls aren't a big thing for me - this is why my £10 per month samsung contract suits me ok.

But -

I LOVE my old ipod touch (2010), particularly for the (albeit crappy) camera, video and apps. Still, the camera isn't anywhere close to the quality of an iphone camera, which makes me want to possibly upgrade. But is the iphone an unnecessary leap for me when I am mostly interested in the apps and camera features?

I just want a portable web device with tons of apps and a great camera for instagram, etc.

I would be purchasing the 4S for use with my VirginMedia contract if I do go ahead.

I think it would be great for you. Speaking from personal experience:

I am 22 years old and spend most of my time with my girlfriend who I intend to propose to soon, 3-4 very good friends, my family and my girlfriend's family. Those are the same group of people I talk to on a regular basis.

Besides that, I use lots of apps, play games, surf the web, listen to music and watch videos.

I feel like I get very good use out of my phone. :)

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You won't regret it.

Getting an iPhone isn't something many live to regret, it does the job it's intended and in a way that is a pleasure to use.

Any particular reason why your going for a 4S instead of a 5?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPhone is a great phone, easy to use, though I recommend trying it out yourself and seeing the look, feel and operation first hand.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I think it will work great for you also. The biggest difference in the usage and where Android is much easier to handle is if you have music, movies and/or pictures that you have on your computer and want to have on your phone (or if you have used your Android phone as an USB memory stick, which is not possible with an iPhone). With an iPhone you have to sync this with iTunes, where you on your Android phone just drag and drop.

It's especially noticable if you're at a friend and want to transfer some music, movies and/or pictures from his/her computer to your phone and can't just plug it in and drag and drop or get it over in any other easy way.

But I get a feeling you won't have those issues, so I think you will be very happy with an iPhone.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I've had macs forever, but I'm an iPhone newbie too. Mobile phones were a low priority as I have been working mostly at home for a long time. But I decided to get rid of my landline and I needed a smart phone. I really didn't want to spend so much on a phone and considered android but ... I wanted the phone to be part of my system, and so it had to be iPhone. Going with a plan that offers unlimited calls to my nearest and dearest, all with the same provider. It's working really well. A great phone but more importantly a great system with phone, iPads, Air linked through iCloud and Dropbox.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Thanks everyone!

To answer a couple of questions: I would opt for the 4S due to my existing phone contract company (Virgin Media) not working with the nano sim. They have also told me that many iphone users may experience web issues on this contract, even though it is supported. Not sure what to make of this, but they have offered to send me a new sim in the post if I opt for the 4S.
I think that the 4S ought to suit me just fine, and isn't dramatically different to the latest release.
Unless I'm missing something???

I only used the Android for calls and texts. For everything else I tend to gravitate to my ipod touch. The Android was free with my contract, so I won't lose out if I wish to upgrade.

Will the 4S do me well for a few yrs, do you think? I don't plan to update with every new release.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Thanks everyone!

To answer a couple of questions: I would opt for the 4S due to my existing phone contract company (Virgin Media) not working with the nano sim. They have also told me that many iphone users may experience web issues on this contract, even though it is supported. Not sure what to make of this, but they have offered to send me a new sim in the post if I opt for the 4S.
I think that the 4S ought to suit me just fine, and isn't dramatically different to the latest release.
Unless I'm missing something???

I only used the Android for calls and texts. For everything else I tend to gravitate to my ipod touch. The Android was free with my contract, so I won't lose out if I wish to upgrade.

Will the 4S do me well for a few yrs, do you think? I don't plan to update with every new release.

The 4S will last s couple more years.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I think it will work great for you also. The biggest difference in the usage and where Android is much easier to handle is if you have music, movies and/or pictures that you have on your computer and want to have on your phone (or if you have used your Android phone as an USB memory stick, which is not possible with an iPhone). With an iPhone you have to sync this with iTunes, where you on your Android phone just drag and drop.

It's especially noticable if you're at a friend and want to transfer some music, movies and/or pictures from his/her computer to your phone and can't just plug it in and drag and drop or get it over in any other easy way.

But I get a feeling you won't have those issues, so I think you will be very happy with an iPhone.

Not true any longer---I think it was iOS5 that negated the need to use iTunes or even a computer any longer. iCloud is free (5GB) and expanded easily for a bargain. As well, with Box, Pocket, DropBox, et al...document and photo/video storage 'in the cloud' is simple, cheap (free in most users' cases--as they come with ample initial storage), and no longer necessitates massive 'local' storage.

To the OP--Do It!!! You won't regret it--you're a perfect customer for the iPhone. It's definitely much, MUCH more than a phone, as are the 'higher end' Androids---they're literally 'Pocket Computers'---and when used with different apps, one can tailor fit their phone, apps, and the media to their own lifestyle. I own the iPhone 5--but I also use the Galaxy Note. Both are with me all the time. iPhone is my personal/friend & family phone. The Note is strictly for business. Google also makes Android set up a piece of cake...and if you work in the 'Google' eco-system--Google docs, GMail, Google Drive, et al...it's a perfect companion for you...albeit a 'bit' more complicated than iOS, it has it's advantages.
These days, if you're using primarily Apple products for computing, iPad, Apple TV, etc...the iPhone is a no-brainer
If you're tied into nothing computer-wise, Android is an excellent choice. Some pretty excellent deals between holiday specials on the GSIII, Note (original...as the 'new' Note is now available), or the Nexus...@ around $350 without subsidy, it's set up for monthly or 'pay as you go' type contracts

If it came down to it and I had to choose one or the other, it would be the iPhone. While not perfect, it's highly refined, fast...excellent camera and a really REALLY HUGE selection of apps. While the 'Play store' is growing---it's still bizarre to me that the Top 5 'paid' apps are all tools for tinkering; SwiftKey 3, Titanium Backup root key, Beautiful Widgets, FoxFi key, and Root Explorer--all different 'tools' for tinkering. Wreck it Ralph and Minecraft are the only 'games' in the top 10---Camera Zoom is @ #9...with two more 'tools' to round out the top 10--Nova Launcher and HD Widgets. In the 'App Store' on the iPhone---the top 10 consists of 7 games, 'WhatsApp' (free messaging), a health program and Emoji.
As well, if you're into creative work---iOS takes the cake. Whether you're (as you are) interested in photography, videography (and the post production of capture)---drawing, audio production (Korg has released a lot of their hardware synths in a software package, GarageBand, Nano Studio, Moog Filtatron, dJay *a real, actual DJ'ing program I use often on our iPads...the list goes on), you just can't go wrong marrying in to iOS.
If you like to play with the 'insides' of the software, tinker with your phone, Widgetry, etc---Android may be a better choice
Then, there's post purchase support. Something goes wrong with your Android device (I can only speak of Samsung and HTC), you need help, you're going to have to have patience and stamina to deal with it :)
If you go Apple...no worries, their customer service is beyond fantastic. I speak from real experience!!! As we own a business, I outfit all of my full time employees with an iPhone. I had a 4s go down, brought it in to the Apple Store (it was 9 months old), replaced on the spot...no questions asked
When my wife's Galaxy Note took a dump after 5 weeks of ownership, AT&T couldn't do the repair (they DID however give us a 'loaner'), it was sent to Samsung for repair. It took the better part of 4 weeks to get back---only to find out is was a Brand New phone. Obviously, her original had a fatal, most likely 'too expensive or time consuming to fix' issue so they replaced it. While I WAS happy she received a new phone (considering the length of ownership)--the extended 'wait time' for a replacement was an absolute JOKE!!!

Good luck---and again, remember---regardless of your decision, these days 'Smart' Phones truly and finally ARE smartphones! With equal or more power than desktop computers we were usin just a couple years ago--incredible graphics, FAST storage in solid state format--'always connected' status, etc-- it seems IMHO that the phone is only a small fraction of what these devices are capable of. Folks that need little more than email, FB, web surfing, music...the computing basics, often find themselves ONLY needing a smart phone for 90% of the tasks we've so long relied on our full blown computers for for the last couple decades! I think you'll be blown away!!

Jer

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I personally think £450 is alot to spend for a light user such yourself i would plump for a Nexus 4 myself (£240-£280) (if they ever come back into stock) but if you want to spend the money the iPhone 4s will do you proud.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Not true any longer---I think it was iOS5 that negated the need to use iTunes or even a computer any longer. iCloud is free (5GB) and expanded easily for a bargain. As well, with Box, Pocket, DropBox, et al...document and photo/video storage 'in the cloud' is simple, cheap (free in most users' cases--as they come with ample initial storage), and no longer necessitates massive 'local' storage.

To the OP--Do It!!! You won't regret it--you're a perfect customer for the iPhone. It's definitely much, MUCH more than a phone, as are the 'higher end' Androids---they're literally 'Pocket Computers'---and when used with different apps, one can tailor fit their phone, apps, and the media to their own lifestyle. I own the iPhone 5--but I also use the Galaxy Note. Both are with me all the time. iPhone is my personal/friend & family phone. The Note is strictly for business. Google also makes Android set up a piece of cake...and if you work in the 'Google' eco-system--Google docs, GMail, Google Drive, et al...it's a perfect companion for you...albeit a 'bit' more complicated than iOS, it has it's advantages.
These days, if you're using primarily Apple products for computing, iPad, Apple TV, etc...the iPhone is a no-brainer
If you're tied into nothing computer-wise, Android is an excellent choice. Some pretty excellent deals between holiday specials on the GSIII, Note (original...as the 'new' Note is now available), or the Nexus...@ around $350 without subsidy, it's set up for monthly or 'pay as you go' type contracts

If it came down to it and I had to choose one or the other, it would be the iPhone. While not perfect, it's highly refined, fast...excellent camera and a really REALLY HUGE selection of apps. While the 'Play store' is growing---it's still bizarre to me that the Top 5 'paid' apps are all tools for tinkering; SwiftKey 3, Titanium Backup root key, Beautiful Widgets, FoxFi key, and Root Explorer--all different 'tools' for tinkering. Wreck it Ralph and Minecraft are the only 'games' in the top 10---Camera Zoom is @ #9...with two more 'tools' to round out the top 10--Nova Launcher and HD Widgets. In the 'App Store' on the iPhone---the top 10 consists of 7 games, 'WhatsApp' (free messaging), a health program and Emoji.
As well, if you're into creative work---iOS takes the cake. Whether you're (as you are) interested in photography, videography (and the post production of capture)---drawing, audio production (Korg has released a lot of their hardware synths in a software package, GarageBand, Nano Studio, Moog Filtatron, dJay *a real, actual DJ'ing program I use often on our iPads...the list goes on), you just can't go wrong marrying in to iOS.
If you like to play with the 'insides' of the software, tinker with your phone, Widgetry, etc---Android may be a better choice
Then, there's post purchase support. Something goes wrong with your Android device (I can only speak of Samsung and HTC), you need help, you're going to have to have patience and stamina to deal with it :)
If you go Apple...no worries, their customer service is beyond fantastic. I speak from real experience!!! As we own a business, I outfit all of my full time employees with an iPhone. I had a 4s go down, brought it in to the Apple Store (it was 9 months old), replaced on the spot...no questions asked
When my wife's Galaxy Note took a dump after 5 weeks of ownership, AT&T couldn't do the repair (they DID however give us a 'loaner'), it was sent to Samsung for repair. It took the better part of 4 weeks to get back---only to find out is was a Brand New phone. Obviously, her original had a fatal, most likely 'too expensive or time consuming to fix' issue so they replaced it. While I WAS happy she received a new phone (considering the length of ownership)--the extended 'wait time' for a replacement was an absolute JOKE!!!

Good luck---and again, remember---regardless of your decision, these days 'Smart' Phones truly and finally ARE smartphones! With equal or more power than desktop computers we were usin just a couple years ago--incredible graphics, FAST storage in solid state format--'always connected' status, etc-- it seems IMHO that the phone is only a small fraction of what these devices are capable of. Folks that need little more than email, FB, web surfing, music...the computing basics, often find themselves ONLY needing a smart phone for 90% of the tasks we've so long relied on our full blown computers for for the last couple decades! I think you'll be blown away!!

Jer

great comment, and really helpful, thanks for taking the time to share that :)

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC

But -

If you love the touch than you will absolutely love the iPhone

The iPhone 4S is a very capable phone and actually is more durable in my opinion compared to the 5

Having that constant cellular/data connection on a device that is very similar to the touch is awesome. You Tweet more, you can surf the web practically anywhere and etc.

I just came from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and while the phone was good it lacked the iPhones apps, stellar camera, build quality, and just "it" factor

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
No brainer: Merge iPod + phone to 1 device, and since you already love how the Touch works, it will be a natural transition.

Just get one with enough memory to hold your entire iTunes collection + some.

Go4rit.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
If you love the touch than you will absolutely love the iPhone

The iPhone 4S is a very capable phone and actually is more durable in my opinion compared to the 5

Having that constant cellular/data connection on a device that is very similar to the touch is awesome. You Tweet more, you can surf the web practically anywhere and etc.

I just came from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and while the phone was good it lacked the iPhones apps, stellar camera, build quality, and just "it" factor

I agree. I'm currently using a Galaxy Y (camera not worth turning on :D) so shall be happy to upgrade.

No brainer: Merge iPod + phone to 1 device, and since you already love how the Touch works, it will be a natural transition.

Just get one with enough memory to hold your entire iTunes collection + some.

Go4rit.

Merge with the ipod? I like the sound of this. Most of my stuff (desktop/laptop, etc) are Apple so it will be nice to link them all together.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I wish Virgin Mobile had great phones like this when I first used them. I had a crappy Kyocera.

You really can't beat Virgin Mobile (US) prices. In the UK they seem dirt cheap too. The service can't compare to Verizon LTE or even AT&T LTE but for the price who cares but again (correct me if I am wrong) much of Europe doesn't have LTE yet?

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I wish Virgin Mobile had great phones like this when I first used them. I had a crappy Kyocera.

You really can't beat Virgin Mobile (US) prices. In the UK they seem dirt cheap too. The service can't compare to Verizon LTE or even AT&T LTE but for the price who cares but again (correct me if I am wrong) much of Europe doesn't have LTE yet?

True - I only pay £10 per month for mine, but I'm a fairly lightweight user. This particular deal works pretty well for me due to most of the people I know using Virgin phonelines, so it's free to call them (unlimited).
I was offered this price due to being a long term customer, I also use their tv, internet, etc, and the customer service so far is excellent (free helplines & quick repairs).

Really concerned about support for iPhone though, I was told that Virgin Media cannot offer help if the phone experiences internet issues. This bothers me, I'll admit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.